Old 20 October 2019, 18:59   #21

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Action cameras are all similarly spec lens, they have a wide view and very limited zoom. So you need to be really really close to anything you want to capture.

Panasonic make waterproof cameras. As do many of the camera manufacturers plenty under £150
Old 20 October 2019, 19:49   #22

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
done almost all of ours with a git up this is the second one the first got knocked off crossing the Clyde I was proper pissed about it but quite impressed so bought another
Old 24 October 2019, 18:35   #23

Town: San Diego
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Go Pro Hero 8. Expensive but I 100% vouch for it and here is why.

I use it on my baja racetruck. I had a hero 7 with stabilization (which was nice) but once I put the 8 on it was night and day. UNREAL difference.

Granted I just got my SeaRider RIB 3 days ago so I have not tried it on a boat but if it can stabilize a offroad baja race trucks footage at 80-120 mph then it can stabilize a boat video.

There is a clip on zoom also if you see whales or whatever you want to video/take pics of closer.

Here was Andy Mcmillans Hero 7 on a trophy truck. These trucks rail 6 ft+ whoops at 70-120+ mph and it stays stabil. Look at the wheels in the wheel well bouncing around like crazy and you'll realize how good the stabilization is.

I'll try to find some Hero 8 and post soon. But even the 7 would be great on a boat. Wide angle, Superwide, etc...
Old 24 October 2019, 20:30   #24

Town: San Diego
Make: Avon
Oh... Hit up craigslist, ebay, pawn shops etc for your Go Pro. No need to buy new. Get it 50% or more off
Old 25 October 2019, 08:56   #25

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Thanks for the info SurfnRide. That is an impressive video. Yep whatever we get I think will be from the usual second hand sources.

But re camera type the more we think the more we realise a waterproof version of a compact camera would suit our use far more than an action cam so that's the type we're looking at.
Old 30 October 2019, 15:47   #26

Decided to hedge my bets with a dabble in the secondhand market with both camera types just to get a feel for them... then probably upgrade to a better version of whichever suits.

First to arrive was an older GoPro Hero 3+ Silver. Ebay buy for peanuts and came with accessories which would have been £210 above the standard camera outfit when new (loads more than in the image).

Charging up the batteries at the moment and all seems OK but haven't viewed any test footage as of this moment as I'm just getting to grips with choosing whichever program I need to view/edit videos.... I guess one from the GoPro website??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPro Silver Hero 3plus.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	131359  
Old 30 October 2019, 20:03   #27

Town: Peterborough
Make: Honwave T38
Engine: Suzuki 6hp
Be interested to hear how you get on with that GoPro. My cheapo imitation pinged off the back of my motocross bike into the mud somewhere out in the middle of the Fens last Sunday, never to be seen again. I'd like GoPro but don't want the huge cost (or necessarily need the quality) of the later, newer models. P.
Old 30 October 2019, 20:22   #28

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Chasemaster
Theres nothing on the market that can touch GoPro in that price range, worth every penny. Still better to buy a second hand one than the cheaper newer cameras out there unless your not worried about the quality !
Old 30 October 2019, 21:48   #29

I’m just getting to grips with no viewing LCD and somewhat convoluted menu structure through minimal buttons but in truth already quite like the simplicity of one button record with set parameters and no faffing with shot framing or zooming mid video as I might with a digicam.

Nipping into town for a handlebar mount for the mountain bike tomorrow so I can do a few test rides/videos.

Can’t really go wrong at around 10% of what it cost the guy new 5yrs ago.
Old 30 October 2019, 21:57   #30

Town: Glasgow
Make: Excel Vanguard 395
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MChivers View Post
Theres nothing on the market that can touch GoPro in that price range, worth every penny. Still better to buy a second hand one than the cheaper newer cameras out there unless your not worried about the quality !
My lad has a few action cameras, including 2 or 3 gopros (i have a hero 4 white that is terrible) and he swears by the gitup2, it is much better than his hero black 3 and 4 gopros.

He uses a hero 7 now I think but obviously not "cheap".

I'm more into SLR so any action camera is cheaper lol
Old 30 October 2019, 21:58   #31

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Editing software - depends if you are Mac or PC.

On the Mac I use the free iMovie package, which is reasonable for my needs. Windows (8 at least) has Windows Movie Maker, which was useable but I didn't find as good as the Mac's iMovie. Personally I haven't tried the GoPro software.
Old 30 October 2019, 22:11   #32

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
GoPro software is ok for free but only works with go
Pro sourced footage unless you faff about better imo getting to grips with a standard editing package

Editing is the most important part..............
Old 04 November 2019, 09:53   #33

Well I've had a few days fiddling about with this older GoPro 3+ Silver and I'm far more impressed than expected for the second hand price. I don't think we'll get on the water again this year but have tested it on the car dash and mountain bike plus taken about the village for a few still shots.

The video quality is totally satisfactory for what we'd want on the SIB and even the stills would do us but for the wide angle and no zoom. So I remain on the lookout for a bargain used waterproof digicam.

Sample still below taken late afternoon when garden was in full shade. A little bit soft but would be fine in harbours etc for snaps but for other craft at sea and distant land features zoom obviously needed.

What is sure though is even if the digicam ends up being the preferred unit I'll not sell the GoPro as it will always be useful to have about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPro sample.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	131374  
Old 04 November 2019, 12:37   #34

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Well I've had a few days fiddling about with this older GoPro 3+ Silver and I'm far more impressed than expected for the second hand price. I don't think we'll get on the water again this year but have tested it on the car dash and mountain bike plus taken about the village for a few still shots.

The video quality is totally satisfactory for what we'd want on the SIB and even the stills would do us but for the wide angle and no zoom. So I remain on the lookout for a bargain used waterproof digicam.

Sample still below taken late afternoon when garden was in full shade. A little bit soft but would be fine in harbours etc for snaps but for other craft at sea and distant land features zoom obviously needed.

What is sure though is even if the digicam ends up being the preferred unit I'll not sell the GoPro as it will always be useful to have about.
And with the gopro7 and even better 8 smooth out any bouncing. You can actually attach it to your chest and go running and get very smooth footage. Though these models aren’t as cheap.
Old 04 November 2019, 13:38   #35

Yes I've seen some impressive YouTube footage of the stabilisation on the later models... but this is a gentle toe in the water at 16% of the cost of a new 8 so I'll be content... for now.
Old 04 November 2019, 21:12   #36

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Glad you're enjoying it - I still love my GoPro 3 Black, and often pull it out as it's just so easy to grab and use. We just spent a week sailing in Greece, and I used the GoPro (and various mounts) far more than my other non-waterproof video camera!