Old 01 January 2013, 17:12   #1

Town: Texas
Make: Bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: 04 9.8 tohatsu
water leak

hey guys ive had this rib for about a year now.. i have done some work to it and have 1 last thing that has been driving me crazy. when i go out i get water in the boat, not alot but enough for a wet deck. about an inch of water every hr or so. i have filled the boat up with water and can see it leaking at the seams to the hull. but the seams are glued down pretty good and cant find how its coming in from. what kind of options am i looking at to fix this? where i live there is no professional to take it to so im on my own on this one. ive tried to put glue on the edges of the seams but that didnt work. maybe the rubber coating stuff? looking for more experienced help..
Thanks in advance
Old 02 January 2013, 07:38   #2

Town: Oakland CA
Are you talking about a strip that glues the tube to the hull?

A leak there could allow water in while underway, but usually doesn't if sitting on the hook.

Repair involves loosening up the strip enough to reglue, assuming you can ID exactly where it's leaking from (use a light and make sure the water isn't traveling along the edge of the fabric before dripping down.)

You also might try using a marine caulk along the edge of the strip if the leak is really small; might work, might not.

jky
Old 02 January 2013, 12:09   #3

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
water leak

What is the make and model of the Rib?
Old 02 January 2013, 15:52   #4

yes im referring to the strip that attaches the tubes to the hull. ive done a small amount of 2 part glue on the edges of the seam all the way around and it didnt make a difference.. i may have to fill it up again and double check where its coming from. when i first got the rib the transom fabric had separated and after many hours of work i got it fixed. it is a bombard ax500.
Old 02 January 2013, 18:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejkay View Post
yes im referring to the strip that attaches the tubes to the hull. ive done a small amount of 2 part glue on the edges of the seam all the way around and it didnt make a difference..
Probably won't do it. The fabric glue is an adhesive-to-adhesive bond, and does not fill gaps very well; hence the caulk suggestion (which is supposed to fill gaps.)

jky
Old 02 January 2013, 19:07   #6

so are we talking calk as in 3m 5200? im down for ideas. ill give it a try and see where im at.. thank you for the help
Old 03 January 2013, 20:37   #7

Quote:
so are we talking calk as in 3m 5200? im down for ideas. ill give it a try and see where im at.. thank you for the help
5200 is a Polyurethane adhesive/sealant. As is 4200 (which is less permanent than 5200.) Though wither of those would probably work, I was thinking more like LifeCaulk (a polysulfide marine caulk), which whould be a bit more removable should the need arise. Not 100% sure of how it performs on PVC (in case your boat is PVC, as I suspect it would be if it's later than about 96.)

Luck;

jky
Old 04 January 2013, 02:34   #8

the boat is a 2005. ill try the 3m stuff. also what about the rubber coating i keep seeing? think that might help as well?
Old 04 January 2013, 17:54   #9

Quote:
also what about the rubber coating i keep seeing? think that might help as well?
The rubber coating? I assume you're talking about a fabric treatment, designed to beef up worn areas. I doubt that would be a good fix. The strip takes a beating when you're running (swell and chop pounds against it), so you need something that is designed to actually seal water out.

jky
Old 04 January 2013, 18:27   #10

ok so heres what i have done today. i used some marine silicone on the inside of the boat. i deflated it and put it where the hull meets the tubes. put a nice thick coat and then inflated the boat back up. my thinking is that will create a flexible gasket so to speak. i dont ever deflate the boat. and by the looks of it where i put it never moves because it was kind of under the hull.
now on to the polysulfide sealant. i did some research on it. this stuff supposedly attacks pvc and plastics causing them to get hard and prone to cracking/splitting ect. that doesnt sound like a good idea on a pvc boat. so im still looking at doing something on the seams on the outside, i would rather it over kill that have this annoying leak.
Old 05 January 2013, 01:30   #11

well it appears i found one of my problems. on the front corners the seam has lifted from what appears to be an old repair. awesome sauce, gotta love repairing someone elses mistake. oh well thats life