Old 22 March 2002, 14:35   #1

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Watch Out - There's a Thief About !!!!!

Hi All

Sian and I visited Topaz at her Marina storage today to do a few jobs on her prior to the SOC send off Weekend.

On arrival we found that her cover had been tampered with. Someone had undone the securing straps from the top of the A Frame (not an easy task - and not something that could happen by accident) - and there were muddy foot prints inside the boat right up to the console.

Whils we have wheel clamp on both wheels, Outboard Locks and a double hitch lock it makes you think of the damage that someone could do without actually taking her away.

Fortunatley nothing was missing, and they had not removed the inner console cover. We remove the GPS and Fishfinder etc - but the VHF is fixed in the console.

We consider this a lucky escape.

Topaz is being moved tomorrow to a space next to the live in Warden - and - fingers crossed - should be safer there.
Old 22 March 2002, 16:01   #2

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Maybe they were just trying to return the handbag!

Seriously though.... Thank god Topaz is OK - Obviously this is one of the problems with Owning a boat - where do you put it?

I remember working on a survey for ICI - and one of there RIBS had all the electronics removed one night - including all the transducers wireing, arials etc - must have taken them ages in the dark - and this was on a "secure" pontoon.

Its like everything - you can only take so many precautions - we all leave our cars in car-parks and on the road - and every now and again something happens to them - its all part of life - but bloody anoying when its you car/boat/handbag/house

Sorry to hear the news and I hope she remains safe
Old 22 March 2002, 18:23   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Graeme, hope all is ok now!

Maybe its time for us all to look at alarms?!?!?!?!?
Old 23 March 2002, 07:12   #4

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Topaz

Graeme, sorry to hear about the act of piracy.
As a matter of interest, what outboard locking device are you using? I am still seeking a suitable device to add insurance required security to my 60HP o/b which hangs off the transom of a RIB.

FOR ALL READERS: I WILL PUT TOGETHER A CRIME PREVENTION ARTICLE ON MARINE THEFT, I WILL DO THIS SOMETIME SOON AND POST ON THIS FORUM. IN THE MEANTIME IF ANY ONE HAS A REALLY GOOD PRODUCT OR TIP THAT THEY KNOW OF AND WISH ME TO CONSIDER INCLUSION IN THE DISCUSSION, SEND DETAILS TO perryfamily@ntlworld.com

PLEASE DO NOT USE THAT ADDRESS FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN ANSWERS TO ABOVE REQUEST. THANKS
Old 23 March 2002, 07:22   #5

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
David

My Outboard is locked with the type of device that locks onto the bolt through the transom.

The engine is a Honda 130, weighing in at 225 Kg, and (I would have thought) beyond the lifting capacity of the passing thief.

The trailer has 2 wheel clamps and a hitch lock. I am thinking of changing one of the wheel clamps so that there are different types on each wheel - and use the spare clamp for the spare wheel - which looks quite vulnerable.

I have heard stories of whole transoms being cut out to get engines - but obviously that is something that
a. must be fairly unusual, and
b. very noisy and time consuming.

I hope as the Marina gets busier things will be safer - more people about day and night - and as Topaz stands out in an inland Marina, and more people get to know us by sight - that if anyone else is around her it should be noticed. ( I Hope !)
Old 23 March 2002, 15:20   #6

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: MATUKA
Make: Lencraft
Length: 5.5m
Engine: Mariner 60 4s Efi
Topaz

The idea of two type of wheel locks seems reasonable, except that where they are to be broken off, it is more likely to be done by force than by key, so the gain may not be that great.
Trailers that are left for a long while can have a wheel removed, but take care to cober the exposed hub and ensure that the trailer is secure.
The idea of having a busy Marine area is good, the more people you have, the greater the chance there is of having someone who knows who should be around your boat actually seeing someone who should not be. However, "user surveillance" can also lead to high level of annonimity, i.e. intruders get lost in the crowd.
Access control is the way ahead and Marina and yard owners should do all they can to thwart unauthorised access, gates, locks, barriers, passes and a culture of challenge.
Just a few thoughts to get going. You may have guessed that I am "in the securtiy business", I am a Crime Prevention Officer and looking, a earlier stated, to develop a fairly comprehensive advice feature.
Thanks for your note on ob locks, I guessed you would be using such a device and yes the weight alone is a deterrant, my 60 needs at least two to lift and the bigger the engine the more bodies are needed, this probalbly explains why sub 50 HP engines are so ~sought after~!
Yes, I have also heard of transomes being cut out so the cables can be oinced as well. A well placed hard steel strip can be a good deflector.
More later.
Dave
Old 23 March 2002, 19:36   #7

Town: Soesterberg
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4.2
Engine: 25hp 2 stroke
Pfffffff

A lucky escape indeed Graeme! Sorry about the footprints, will wipe 'm next time before boarding!
First the bag...now the boat, and I thought Holland was a bad place to store valuables...

Just the thought of someone being onboard can make you crazy I'm sure! It makes me crazy and it's not even my boat! (Just thinkin' of that trip you invited me to ).

It looks like I'll be in the UK around Octobre...hope Topaz will still be there!

Greetz,

Eddy
Old 24 March 2002, 10:09   #8

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
In Greece,

We have many thefts of large engine's leg (more than 150hp). It's very easy to unscrew the (usually) 4 bolts that hold the leg in place and take it away. Personally I use a stainless steel chain with VERY BIG rings and secure the leg with a huge locker on my parkings wall. This way both the leg AND the boat/trailer are being secured.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2002, 20:03   #9

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Hi

One problem with keeping the boat on your drive is that (like a caravan) people know when you are away for the day/s.

Regards

Keith (may their hands drop off) Hart
Old 02 April 2002, 07:03   #10

Town: ATHENS
Boat name: SUN KISS II
Make: Nuova Bat 9 Falcon -
Engine: Outboard Mercury 115
Send a message via Skype™ to batfalcon
If you use ...

.... a VERY LARGE chain with an expensive (and safe) padlock, it rather impossible to cut it with a hack saw. They have to use heavy (noice making) machinery, like cutting wheel or something. Practice has indicated that they preffer to choose another boat than to try the "chained" one.

batfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote