Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 02 July 2012, 10:01   #1
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Warning about Navisafe telescopic Pole failing

As you may be aware I have fitted the Navisafe light LED system to my boat, I have the Navilight red/green on my consul in front of the plotter, it fits by magnet, no problems there NAVI light 360 grader lommelanterne og NAVI safe varmeislolerende mann over bord pute , my rear all round 360 white light is also a magnetic system NAVI light 360 grader lommelanterne og NAVI safe varmeislolerende mann over bord pute and I have made use of their Telecopic pole to put it on as it has a magnetic top, this is fitted to the rear of my seat and can be swung up and extended when in use or folded down out of the way (see pic below). The problem with this is that the base of the pole is sandwiched into the fixing bracket, the pole has a ratchet circle on it and one would think that the bracket would also have that so you could tighten it and it would stay in place, but there is nothing its a flat surface, so nothing to grip or engage into and as such any slight wave brings the pole crashing/swinging down with light on top, as it is behind the seat you need to keep checking it is still up

I rang the Norwegians who make the product, they now realise there is a flaw and are having a new bracket made, BUT it will not be a horizontal bracket but a flat surface mounting bracket, so NO USE to anyone who has drilled holes to accommodate the original bracket, this new bracket will not be available for at least 2 mths, so my WARNING to people is DO NOT go drilling holes as you will find this useless pole redundant soon, why they could not just have a ratchet on the base unit that interlocked with the pole like many other products is beyond me, and how they can produce such a different replacement is again beyond me, there could be a lot of pissed off people me included about

I have decided to bastardise mine as I have nowhere for the new surface mounted one, so if any engineering types want to offer up a solution I am all ears, I think I need a neat way of retaining the pole in a vertical position maybe by use of another screw or something that can still be removed for storage

Here is what I am on about

Click image for larger version

Name:	Navilight.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	69885

The lights are magnificent, just seems they have totally let themselves down with this stupid and VERY expensive telescopic pole
Old 02 July 2012, 13:11   #2

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
Either,
(A) Drill a hole through the vertical tube in the raised position to align with a hole drilled in the top horizontal (seat back) tube. Glue or weld a nut on the front side of the second hole (seat back) and utilise a bolt with a small turning arm welded to the head to secure the unit in the raised position.
or
(B) Make a rotating arm, pivoting on a bolt and spacers attached to the horizontal bar, that will turn and secure the vertical tube in its raised position.
Old 03 July 2012, 09:25   #3
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Thanks, exploring both of your suggestions, will let you know what we go for