Old 22 May 2018, 15:40   #21

Town: Oslo
Boat name: Seatrout express
Make: Zodiac Milpro
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 40
My SIBìng during winter is always related to flyfishing. I`ve been wearing vaders for so many years I feel naked without them..

From my point of view vaders are superbe for SIBìng. They keep you warm, keep the cold winter air out and keeps you dri. There is no need for a expensive drisuit.

When it comes to safety, waders are ok. You can wear a vadeing belt and of course av life jacket. People drowning in vaders have always forgotten their life jacket.

Vaders are perfectly safe and very comfy.

Cheers
Old 22 May 2018, 16:04   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
There is possibly a bit of general naivety about how difficult it is to get back into a Rib/Sib from the water.

Ask any diver if they could climb into a a Rib/Sib fully kitted without a ladder because when you fall in, chances are there won't be one conveniently to hand.

They're probably positively buoyant on the surface and wearing fins to help with a bit of lift. They're not suffering from cold water shock, in a state of fear and going to suffer dire consequences if they don't get into the boat first attempt. (and if they're diving, probably relatively fit)

Waders full of water...if someone else isn't there to help you out the water, you're not getting out.

The RYA Sea Survival course is something of an eye opener.....a dose of reality.

There's enough dangers we can't mitigate for, without courting ones we can.
Old 22 May 2018, 16:10   #23

With a vadingbelt both legs of the vader are filled with air, not water. It’s actully easyer to get out of the water with vaders.

Try it in your next trip, and make sure to post a video
Old 22 May 2018, 18:33   #24

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
There is possibly a bit of general naivety about how difficult it is to get back into a Rib/Sib from the water.

Ask any diver if they could climb into a a Rib/Sib fully kitted without a ladder because when you fall in, chances are there won't be one conveniently to hand.

They're probably positively buoyant on the surface and wearing fins to help with a bit of lift. They're not suffering from cold water shock, in a state of fear and going to suffer dire consequences if they don't get into the boat first attempt. (and if they're diving, probably relatively fit)

Waders full of water...if someone else isn't there to help you out the water, you're not getting out.

The RYA Sea Survival course is something of an eye opener.....a dose of reality.

There's enough dangers we can't mitigate for, without courting ones we can.
You may recall 'The fisherman's apprentice' on TV a few years ago.
Monty Halls was the apprentice. He's a big fit ex-marine, diver etc etc.
To give an idea of what it would be like to fall in he jumped overboard from the fishing boat - in normal commercial fishing gear & a lifejacket.
After getting over the thermal shock & bobbing around for a few minutes he tried to get back into the boat. Something of a struggle & he said that a second attempt if the first had failed might have been beyond him.
Coupled with that & the difficulty a RN winchman had climbing into my own boat - 17' Dory - I now have a folding ladder fixed to the transom.

Don't forget that if you do go in your clothing will absorb water & add considerable extra weight.
Old 22 May 2018, 18:39   #25

Hers some tips:

1, Remove your wading boots
2, Remove your jacket
3, If water is traped above your wading belt, remove your shoulder straps
4, Use the engine as a ladder, securing your leg grip first

In very cold water you’ ve got 4 minutes.

The gunard video was very funny! Thanks

At the end of the day the discussion boils down to your risk considiration. I know my waders, Cold water, my engine as a ladder and is (still) fit.

You make your choice!
Old 22 May 2018, 18:58   #26

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Thanks Brage ..the video was made tongue in cheek ..and we both agree its down to each individuals risk assessments.: thumbs:

We also agree that waders can assist keeping you afloat by using a belt and keeping your knees up

I hope you don't mind me asking a question about your tips though ?

Do you remove your life jacket or buoyancy aid to get your jacket and waders off ? Or is it easy to do and still keep them on ?

I struggled with that one in my set up because I was wearing a buoyancy Aid over my waders and had to take it off to undo the chest wader straps and belt ..when I tried my self recovery. Im certain that was not a smart thing for me to do
Old 22 May 2018, 19:05   #27
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brage View Post
Hers some tips:

1, Remove your wading boots
2, Remove your jacket
3, If water is traped above your wading belt, remove your shoulder straps
4, Use the engine as a ladder, securing your leg grip first
Are you suggesting someone struggling to get back on board should remove their lifejacket or that with a fully inflated LJ in cold water that you can remove your jacket and shoulder straps without taking the LJ off?

Quote:
People drowning in vaders have always forgotten their life jacket.
or perhaps took it off because they were stuck or didn't buy a very expensive one designed to cope with this:

Quote:
With a vadingbelt both legs of the vader are filled with air, not water.
and therefore didn't help keep them face up, or perhaps thought this was true:

Quote:
It’s actully easyer to get out of the water with vaders.
Old 22 May 2018, 20:41   #28

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
I think this topic should be put to bed now you make your choice if it is wrong we will all here about it. Just hope that it doesn’t cost loved ones any pain !!!
Old 22 May 2018, 20:48   #29

The video was very funny Gurnard. You made your point in an excelent way!

Now regarding how to climb back on board. Your jacket (not life jacket) will be heavy because of water. So remove it. It’s the same drill when ice fishermen og cross contry skiers go through the ice. Remove everything that makes you heavy. Typical clothes filled with water.

Then when climbing on board, take it slow and let the water drain off. First legs in the engine. They have superb buoyancy because of your waders. Then your upper body. Your legs are fare stronger than your arms so use them as much you can against the engine to push your upper body out of the water.

In my opinion vaders helps a lot, if you use them right I know UK gays typical are a bit soft, but you don’t need a drysuit unless your affraid to get wet

Cheers
Old 23 May 2018, 07:34   #30
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Your jacket (not life jacket) will be heavy because of water. So remove it. It’s the same drill when ice fishermen og cross contry skiers go through the ice. Remove everything that makes you heavy. Typical clothes filled with water.

Presumably you need to remove your life jacket to do this?
Old 23 May 2018, 09:31   #31

During winter I usually use a Baltic Winner west under a Arcteryx SV jacket.
It works fine. I`ve never tried to remove the the west and then the jacket. I guess it`s a bit more work and if you do it you will benefit from waiting with inflating the west until the jacket is gone, and until the west is back on. However it will increase the time you spend in the ice water, so I guess it`s not the best solution.

I guess the only time you should remove your buoyancy aid is if`s an obstacle when climbing on board.

Cheers
Old 23 May 2018, 10:54   #32

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
In very cold water you’ ve got 4 minutes.
You make your choice!
Quote:
However it will increase the time you spend in the ice water, so I guess it`s not the best solution.
Thank you Brage .. and I appreciate your honesty.

You see … that was the serious part behind my tongue in cheek video.

I know fine waders keep you afloat.. and wont drag you to the bottom. The video was not about waders drowning anyone ..it was about cold water shock. By your own admittance ..you have a very short time in cold water before hypothermia takes over when wearing waders.

A dry suit gives you far longer so more chance of surviving falling out your boat ..and at around £250 for a reasonable one.. is not that expensive

I will withdraw from this thread now..I wasn't going to post in it at all until someone mentioned my video and in the wrong context from which it was intended . I wanted to put it in the correct context ..that's all
Old 23 May 2018, 11:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post

A dry suit gives you far longer so more chance of surviving falling out your boat ..and at around £250 for a reasonable one.. is not that expensive
Overall I agree. Dry suit increases the chance of survival, but waders are ok if you use them properly.

Thank you for a sensible and entertaining discussion!

Old 31 July 2018, 19:32   #34

Town: Langbank, Renfrewshire
Boat name: -
Make: Avon Adventure 450
Engine: 60hp Mariner
Enjoyed this thread: I've been thinking about waders for a while but won't bother now and will go straight to dry suit instead.

But it struck me that many people, particularly on warmer days, don't fasten the top of their dry suits. So surely if the wearer were to fall in it would be just as easy for the legs to fill with water, with the same inherent dangers, as it would be if waders were being worn instead?

Genuinely interested in the answer to this one.

Nick
Old 31 July 2018, 20:10   #35

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post
Enjoyed this thread: I've been thinking about waders for a while but won't bother now and will go straight to dry suit instead.

But it struck me that many people, particularly on warmer days, don't fasten the top of their dry suits. So surely if the wearer were to fall in it would be just as easy for the legs to fill with water, with the same inherent dangers, as it would be if waders were being worn instead?

Nick
Worse, as you can't kick off a dry suit as you can waders or dry trousers.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 21:50   #36

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksharpe View Post

Nick
You should never be near water with an unziped dry suit end of even when I have a pee at sea I think what if