Old 14 September 2002, 11:46   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Virgin ribber needs advice

Dear all,

You may have seen my thread about whether or not a 90hp would go on a 6.5 mtr RIB. Well I have bitten the bullet and bought it (aware of it's capabilities). I now need help in learning all I can to avoid any mistakes others have made in the past as new boat owners. Bearing in mind I know nothing (although my son who is 15yrs old is RYA advanced, and used to driving twin 240hp Redbays) could you please take it easy with me and lead me through all I need to know to get started. I have to get a trailer and have been offered a braked De Graaff at £1,290, I spoke to someone from this forum today and they mentioned there may be others about worth looking at, if you know what I mean. I live near Bromley, Kent, so where would I use the RIB, yes a bit daft after buying one but is there some good spots with easy launching for beginners?

I bought 4 fenders, floating rope for front and back to tie up, a an eco blast safety air horn (with air pump, rechargable) a Garmin 100 fishfinder and VHF aerial yesterday (in order that the workshop can feed the cables through the hull from the consul to the back of the RIB ready). I already own a Garmin handheld VHF (good little radio), a Garmin e-map, old Garmin 45, wet weather gear and lifejackets. The boat comes with a compass.

Again, thanks for the support and info given to me, I have felt very welcome on the site. I am looking forward to be able to give some useful experience to others on the forum if that is possible, in the future.

The answers may be useful to others like me who are new to RIBS and the sea.

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 18:18   #2

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
Try a copy of Peter's White "Powerboating - The RIB & Sportsboat Handbook".

I've read it last summer. An excellent book , it will give a good overall knowledge .

Regards

Dimitris
Old 14 September 2002, 18:35   #3

I have got that book, it is very good. I am however after any other tips that will save me making a fool of myself but mainly re safety. Also good spots to start out at on the South Coast e.g. easy slipway e.t.c. I will get the boat in about 5 weeks, is it too lae in the year to attempt to go out in it?

Cheers,

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 18:44   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Never too late in the season for a RIB - and unlikely to be for a beginner either - just pick the right day.

I know RIBs are for big waves and personaly i quite like to go out when everyone else is coming in (often the lifeboat!), but for your first trip i suggest picking a flat day to get used to the boat.

I also suggest picking a nice sheltered harbour-type slip or somewhere you are familar with. I can reccoment Margate harbour, or Herne Bay, both a sheltered in most wether conditions - i know it's gonna be calm for the virgin voyage but best play safe. Of course there are plenty of others, but they are my two closest - not that far from you i don't think.

Pick a day with high tide at, say midday, get there at 9-10am, spend 1/2 hour getting yourself sorted and launch - you then have upto 4 hours before the slip is likely to be hard work (this will vary for slip-to-slip - some are in fact worse at high water - seek local knowledge).

Er, thats my few words - happy to meet up with you at the end of Oct when you get the boat at either of suggested locations, give you a few tips if you need them and go for a cruise?????

Daniel
Old 14 September 2002, 19:06   #5

Thanks,

Is there any brave person near the Bromley area, e.g. one of the safe areas mentioned that has got the bottle to help a complete beginner launch his boat on it's maiden voyage (free pint included, or pints! if your not driving, don't want to smash any bottles on the hull, it may go through it !) Could be a bit of a laugh with the right company. I would hope to be launching or whatever the sea name is at the middle to end October at a weekend.

Pete (have I done the right thing, can I cope!)
Old 14 September 2002, 19:32   #6

Town: Athens
Boat name: Sofia - Konstantina
Make: Wave
Length: 5
Engine: Outboard 2-stroke 115 Mercury
As I mentioned earlier, I am not an expert on RIBS. The following is a list of equipment in my Rib that I consider safety related (not in importance sequence). The whole idea is to be as self-sufficient as possible.

1) Two batteries connected to a main switch with the following options. Battery-1, Battery-2, Battery1+2, OFF. The last thing you want is not being able to start your engine on the way back home.

2) Water filter to trap water in the fuel.

3) A good anchor to prevent you from drifting in case of engine failure (provided that you are in relatively shallow waters). I find the Bruce type a good choice with good holding power. Attach a good length of chain between the anchor and the line to maximize the anchor holding power. As a rule of thump, I use a chain with the same length as my boat. I carry two of them in my boat. My wife hates them !!!

4) A sea anchor to slow down drifting in case of engine failure in deep waters.

5) A good waterproof torch. I also carry a second one that can be attached to your head. That leaves your hands free to work.

6) A second propeller, in case I destroy the first one.

7) Flares and smoke flares. I carry 5 flares and 3 smoke flares.

8) Spares of everything that I know how to change (set of sparking plugs, water filter, fuel filter, 3 meters of fuel pipe, set of electrical fuses). Don’t forget a Good set of tools and anticorrosion spray. I also spray my tools with anticorrosion spray, as they tend to get rusty.

9) Basic survival kit. Water, food, basic medicines, extra clothes and a good sleeping bag. I think I will feel happier if I am not hungry and thirsty waiting for help in a remote beach in case of engine failure or if weather does not permit my return back home.

10) A tube repair kit , a hand pump and a three-liter fire extinguisher.

11) and most important, try to go out with the company of experience ribsters.

Regards

Dimitris
Old 14 September 2002, 19:42   #7

Well, Well, you have certainly opened my mind. Everything you have makes sense, and has made me think, makes my fenders look a bit of a silly first buy. Re the two you have on your boat that your wife hates, are they girlfriends?

I will go off and start my survival kit.

Thanks,

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 19:48   #8

Pete,

Where are you thinking of your maiden voyage then?

If you are going for one of my sugestions of course i'll come with you, with or without my boat. Beer is a nice bonus. If you want me to join you else-where then suggest a location...

It sounds like your son should know what to do - i assume he has a slight amount to do with the purchase?

Dimitris list is quite thorough, something i like to carry is a spare kill cord incase the first one goes overboard (with or without a person). I assume, of course, that you know what a kill-cord is? (Don't mean to sound patronising).

The list of equiptment has been discussed exthensively before, maybe do an archive search?
Old 14 September 2002, 20:13   #9

Daniel,

Thanks for the offer, and I will accept it. I will talk to you nearer the time and go to one of your suggested venues (I hope there are no narrow roads on the way! being my first time towing a RIB!)

My son is very good, but like all families I still look on him as 'my little boy'. He is very capable but I would hate to ruin our great friendship by putting all the onus on him. You will see straight away that he is a good strong kid with a lot of experience, but I have never been with him apart from once when he took me ut on a 20 min trip on a loch in Scotland after completing his RYA Advanced and safety course (that was a 6.1 mtr Tohatsu with a 90hp DLTI). He is 15yrs old, his main sport is diving which he is very highly qualified at, he travels alone to Scotland where he works on internships at Puffin Dive Centre in his school holidays Diving and Ribbing, he was taught by them to drive RIBS and is trusted with their Redbay twin 240hp marinised landcruiser engines. He has done well over 100 hrs driving them. He also drives their Jet Powered Catamaran 'The Urchin' and has knocked up loads of hours driving it.

See the RIBS and Urchin on this link :-http://www.puffin.org.uk/framehome3.html

I don't want a family fued with him, I would need you more to back what he tells me to do, so I don't argue with him! Anyway he is the first to want to learn new things so best you do come along, it would put both our minds at rest. (I see crates of beer comming on here)

I will need to do my RYA level 2, I was thinking of trying to do it before the boat came, do you think that is a good idea, or wait tand have muck around on mine first?

Cheers

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 20:26   #10

RYA LII is a very good idea - have sent you a PM.

Of course there are loads of other places, quite probably nearer you that the two i suggested - but they are my local 'sheltered' spots - i often launch from the beach, but never when rough.
Old 14 September 2002, 20:28   #11

Keith I was just thinking, where do you put all your safety kit on French trips, does it all float behind on something? More importantly where do you put your duty free (or should I say tax paid goods)

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 20:31   #12

What is a PM?

Pete
Old 14 September 2002, 20:32   #13

Argh, a private message - click user PM in the top right.
Old 14 September 2002, 20:33   #14

Opps, click user CP top right, then click private messages far right option (i hope)

Would have been better to just post it all here really!
Old 14 September 2002, 21:21   #15

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Pete,

One thing which you will find useful is the "Good Launch Guide" written by a forum member - Geoff. He also has a website (and between you and me, all the information is there!) www.boatlaunch.co.uk

It sounds like your son has accumulated an enviable amount of experience in his youth, so it looks like you could be in a reverse parody of Dad teaching Son to drive!

I've been messing around on different types of boats for a few years now, but I'm new to RIBs this year (haven't got round to buying one yet, though )... so my 2p worth on advice is short but concise:
1. Always remember to wear your engine kill-cord.
2. Don't let rope dangle in the water, and keep it all tidy - you don't want to wrap it round the prop.
3. If you fancy going offshore, join BIBOA (it's like this forum, but face to face, on the water).

Have fun!
Richard.
Old 14 September 2002, 21:27   #16

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Damn, Pepper beat me to it with both the www.boatlaunch.co.uk and the BIBOA suggestions! Boat launch will give you some places in Kent. Don't know the area well but the Medway might be a good area for first outings?

Do think about joining BIBOA as well. Not all our trips are roughty toughty offshore expeditions. Many are coastal hopping with emphasis on enjoying ribbing in good company and if we happen to find a decent pub on the way then all the better!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 14 September 2002, 21:33   #17

Richard,

The Tohatsu dealer had been given a complimentary copy at the boat show and I saw it briefly. I couldn't find the stand though, so that has answered my question. A very simple idea but very very useful indeed. (Is there a guide to launching difficulty or experienced needed in it, e.g. level 1 - 5 or whatever)

Thanks

Pete

P.S. I bought some floating rope at the show, there was a stand where they knotted the rope and made loops e.t.c. to your size. I will cut my front rope down a bit, what you said makes sense. Oh! do you need a fire extinguisher on a RIB (Mr I want to think of everything) or is that a silly question with so much water about.
Old 14 September 2002, 21:35   #18

Not a silly questuion - i carry two!
Old 14 September 2002, 21:36   #19

How do I get in the BIBOA site? I guess I could act as a tender for some of the big beasts out there.

Pete

CANCEL THIS QUESTION I HAVE FOUND IT, IT WAS A SIMPLE AS SEARCHING FOR BIBOA on a search engine, Sorry for being daft!
Old 14 September 2002, 22:16   #20

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Pete,
Don't worry about stuff - you've found your way to what's possibly (probably/definitely!) the best RIB resource around.

As regards difficulty of slipways, it's a matter of trying them, and just having your wits about you. We all make daft mistakes (or is it just me? ) and then like to warn others about them, at which point they escalate in gravity, perhaps through exaggeration (surely not! ) or just because our combination of events was unique.

I used to be a mountaineer, and there was a saying which sort of adapts for other adventure-type sports...
"It's not a sport for beginners"
And it's at that point that you realise that you've just gotta get out and do it and make your own mistakes!

But anyway, there's a thread here about the difficulty of launching called "size versus an easy life"....

My own favorite launching tactic is to keep a very, very long length (30m ish) of cheap (polypropylene) rope in the car so that my motor stays on the dry bit ('cos I ain't gotta four-by-four) and I can wrap it around the tow hitch to "lower" the trailer into the wet stuff.

Enjoy!
Richard.