Pete
Old 15 September 2002, 18:00   #22

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Pete,

I know we have been discussing this off thread, but the following is useful to other people too:

VHF licence - you can apply online, and (as i remember) you don't need a personal licence to get a callsign and licence disc for the boat. Form available on line: http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/S...ationNotes.asp

SSR - you need to register with this to travel abroad, it is also nice to put a number on the boat for coasguard etc. to know who you are (unless you smuggle drugs... then don't put it on the boat!) Form available on line: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/flag/SSR_Form...1_Rev_8.00.pdf

CG66 - a form worth filling in to tell coastguard who you are and what you go on board - they will ask for SSR! Form available on line: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/publications/cg66/index.htm
Old 15 September 2002, 18:31   #23

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
What is DSC, I have seen a Icom 401 without for about £189 and another with for £300 or so with DSC.

I have the application form for a handheld sent by the licence people, if I put one on the boat do I need another licence. If I use and share the radios with my son, do we both need a licence. He has done his radio course, I will have to do mine in the next few weeks as I can't get a licence without a certificate anyway.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 15 September 2002, 19:05   #24

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
There is two ways of licencing a radio:

1) The radio gats a callsign
2) The boat gets a callsign

A portable radio can have its own callsign OR you can register a boat with only a portable radio - hence the callsign is assigned to the boat.

Hope that helps!

Just for info, there was a case locally recently where a fishing vessel in trouble had no licence but did have a VHF but DID NOT USE IT - very very silly, the guy on the lifeboat and the coastguard said they would much, much rather people used it anyway!