Old 13 March 2008, 20:32   #1

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Valve advice please

i have just picked up a small second hand air floor SIB . Its a waveline in PVC with the usual screw in valves .

The valve in the air floor is leaking around the outside where it clamps in . i have taken it our and the fabric is fine and the valve appears to ok on the rim where it clamps the fabric but it still leaks when i refit it .

i wonder if the valve body has become distorted while the boat has been rolled up.

is there a sealer that can be used on the seat of the valve . or is a new valve more likely to seal

i am tempted to use LSX silicone plumbing sealant but though i would ask before I do
Old 13 March 2008, 21:52   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
[QUOTE=ian parkes;241600] i have just picked up a small second hand air floor SIB . Its a waveline in PVC with the usual screw in valves .

Is it the type of Halkey Roberts Valve, a 2 part valve. upper & lower screw type ?

"The valve in the air floor is leaking around the outside where it clamps in . i have taken it our and the fabric is fine and the valve appears to ok on the rim where it clamps the fabric but it still leaks when i refit it".

Is the fabric around the floor where both pieces clamps even ? There is a tool to adjust air valves, have you made the adjustment only by hand ? If the air leak persists, try a new valve if available or put some pvc glue around the collar rim seals (where it clamps) and adjust tight as possible, let dry overnight.

Last issue are the rim seals of both parts (upper & lower) in good shape or any of them has a crack, missing part or whatever, if so replace defective part. (See pic example)

Happy Boating
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim Seal.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	33452  
Old 13 March 2008, 22:06   #3

Thanks for the reply
yes same valve as that .
i have the valve key so i know its properly tight

You have given me some more ideas , ill take the valve out and check out the valve seat and the fabric.

if the fabric isn't even around the rim then i guess i have a problem .
Old 13 March 2008, 22:39   #4

Just taken it apart again , i can't see any problems with the valve. I dunno how you are supposed to get the inside part out of the tube or floor ??

So iam going to clean it up with acetone and re fit it with some 2 part glue around it . Hope that works .

it would be the one in the floor where the pressure really counts and the volume is small , a small leak on the tube valves wouldn't really matter so much