Old 25 July 2002, 20:16   #1

Town: London
Valiant

I am looking at buying a Valiant Vanguard 570T.

Does anyone have any experience of the Vanguard models? From their website, they look like the leisure model and may not have a particularly deep V when compared to the DR or Patrol models.

Does anyone think they would be suitable for a trip to the Channel Islands for example?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nigel

Old 26 July 2002, 19:44   #2

Im looking to buy the next size down - the Vanguard 520T, but i cant find anyone who sells them here in ireland - anyone know a Valiant dealer in ireland, preferably in the west?
Thanks for your help.
Old 28 July 2002, 22:26   #3

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
5.7m RIB to Channel Islands?

As you'll see from a load of new posts, the BIBOA has just run an extremely successful cruise to the Channel Islands and back. The smallest boat on this run was 6.5m, largest 10m, and most around 8m-ish. Weather was fantastic (no wind at all!). On the way out, Peter had a tough time in the 6.5 - On the way back, I joined him and we were pleased to travel in the flat part of the wakes of the larger boats where the currents were stirring the water up.

Now, I'm just a novice, and wouldn't presume to dish out advice of this importance, but I can tell you that I'm looking at 6.5 to 7.5m boats (budget permitting ), and I reckon that Peter's got his eye on a bigger boat!

Hope this helps,
Richard.
Old 29 July 2002, 07:53   #4

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Apart from being horribly jealous of the CI weekend cruise which I couldn't make due to various reasons, can I just say that I have been to Alderney in a 5.5m Humber so it is possible in a small boat! However it is true that the bigger the boat usually the more comfortable the ride is so as your experience level grows and your horizons expand there is a tendancy to go for a bigger boat as funds and practicality permit! (Which is why this year I moved from a 6.5 to a 7.5m RIB)

Nigel, my 10c on your question is whilst I don't know much about Valiants I would make sure you go for a deep V rib with proper jockey seats if you intend to go offshore. Bench seats are no use to man nor beast in any sea IMHO. Do you have any particular reason why you want a Valiant as opposed to something like a Ribcraft 585 for example?

Cheers,
Alan
Old 30 July 2002, 08:18   #5

Town: London
Alan

Price I'm afraid!!

Old 30 July 2002, 09:16   #6

Town: Newfoundland
presumably......

you've already bought it judging by your profile?!
Are they significantly cheaper than other RIBS?
Old 30 July 2002, 10:53   #7

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Valiants do seem to be cheaper than other brands - I believe because they are volume produced in Portugal (cheaper labour) in thermo welded PVC. Following some research of my own, I rejected the 520 / 570 models, as the hulls are of a shallow or, at best medium V design, and are probably not suited to my intended family coastal (tho' not as ambitious as Channel Islands) cruising. I have now come back to either the Ribcraft 5.85, or the Avon 5.6 / 6.2 - tho' too late now for delivery this season. Definitely more expensive than the equivalent sized Valiant . Incidentally, the Valiant 490 is to a completely different hull form and is a pronounced deep V, with allegedly excellent sea-kindliness for a boat of that size.
Old 03 August 2002, 21:04   #8

Valiants

I think youŽll get good product for the money if you'll go for Valiant. I just bought the D380 and I've been happy with it.
Valiant is like mass produced and that means its not like the RIBs that are hand made.

Jari