Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 February 2004, 02:00   #1

Town: Aalesund
Make: Humber
Length: 8
Engine: Inboard Volvo Penta D3-160
Send a message via MSN to Michaels
URGENT: Which 8m RIB w/Inboard diesel?????

Hi.
I am currently looking to buy a new RIB for private and commercial scubadiving here in Norway. We are lookated at the west coast and the weather can be pretty rough with the Atlatic ocean straight in.

WISHLIST:
Here are some of the spec I want
- 8m good quality RIB
- OK consolle and seating
- Inboard diesel engine (MC 1,7Dti, Volvo D3-160, or other)
- OK engine housings etc.
- OK Prices

Visited the Humber factory in January and tested a 7m Humber Ocean Pro with the Mercruiser 1,7dti engine and found this to be OK without load. Never tested it with load.

HUMBER QUOTATION:
We quoted for the 8m but were adviced to go for a larger engine like the Volvo D3-160 (160hp). The spec on this looks very good.
Humber seems to have reasonable prices on their basic boats, but as soon as you put on some equipment the price really accelrates. My impression is that they overprice most of the optional equipment.
I found the Volvo engine cheaper to buy here in Norway than at Humber. Humber said that they could deliver the boat complete without the engine, but prepared for easy engine installation here.

HUMBER OR OTHER
In a market where there are many brands and manufacturers of RIBs I find it very hard to choose. I'd like a RIB that gives me great value, quality and performance for my money. Something around 7-8,5m would be perfect. At least 30knots loaded and maybe 40unloaded (Can be w/different propeller for load/speed).
As far as I see right now the most interesting ones are HUMBER, RIBCRAFT, RIBTEC. Other suggestions?

ENGINES:
Are there any good alternatives to the lightweight engine Mercruiser 1,7tdi and the new Volvo D3 series?
- Any Experiences and suggestions?

All help, links, testrepport and experiences will be very apreciated. Maybe some of you have tried the Humber Ocean Pro, the Volvo engine or other RIBs that might be of interest - please contact me by PM or post a reply here.......

Thanks a lot
Steve M.
Old 11 February 2004, 08:15   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
I realy dont think the mercruiser will do in an 8m rib.
Flat out you would be looking 26knots or around that and loaded...more like 20knots maybe less.

Volvo is a much better choice but i still dont think you would make 33knots ladden or 40 knots flat out. It wouldn't be to far off though.

Maybe have a look at the VW diesels?

I had the same experience with humber because i tried to order my diesel rib from them. The price fro the boat was great but the mark up on engine and fitting was rediculous. They were goign to charge 3 thousand pounds for the fitting. Consoles,seating etc is also very expensive from Humber.

Even saying all that i can't think of anyone who makes an 8m cheaper.

Ah, here we go http://www.parkerribs.com/
PM Andre on these forums.
Old 11 February 2004, 08:26   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally posted by simmons0
I realy dont think the mercruiser will do in an 8m rib.
Flat out you would be looking 26knots or around that and loaded...more like 20knots maybe less.
I Agree (waheyy)

I'd be looking to put Two mercruisers in an 8 metre boat, I'd want to see some reilience in a cold place like Denmark and at least 250 Hp if single or 150 if twins
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2004, 10:41   #4
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Approx 8m Diesel RIB

I've been going through a similar process over the last 3 months, and it came down to the Ribcraft 7.8 Offshore with the Yanmar or the Parker Rapier with the 4.2D Mercruiser (both 300HP).

Both came out at similar costs (within £2k) - assuming I paid the VAT/Duty etc - which I intend to!!

Ultimately I was more comfortable with the Yanmar as an engine choice - based on comments from other boat users and the combined knowledge of RIBnet and some of the hundreds of forums on diesel engines......one of those emotive subjects......

From my experience with Andre at Parker and Jason at Ribcraft - both top blokes who know their stuff - and they make good boats that will do what you want them to!!

I've no doubt that someone will decide I've made some bad choices - but I'm happy with my decision!!

Dylan...

P.S. Another advantage of Parker is that their lead-time is less - I believe 3 months? - Ribcraft are now on June deliveries .
Old 11 February 2004, 11:04   #5

8m RIB & Inboard Diesel

Thank you for informative replies.

Some thoughts:
A) Because of the inboard I thought that an 8m would be a better choice than the 7m to free som more deckspace.

B) Does the extra meter from 7m to 8m add extra engine needs in itself? The weight difference could be aprox 100kg that ain't more than one person of load. Therefore I ask myself if I need a bigger engine than the Volvo 160HP or not.

C) The Volvo 160HP have a very good torque up till 340NM wich is very good. Anyone who know how much the Yanmar 240hp have?

D) The Humber boat looked just sooooo nice and with that very nice engine housing..... smooooth. I attach an picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4178.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	4315  
Old 11 February 2004, 16:37   #6

Town: Stockholm
Boat name: Osprey & Ring
Make: Osprey & Ring
Length: 9m +
Engine: Plenty
Michael

Sent you a PM.
Old 11 February 2004, 17:07   #7

Too bad I did not find this site earlier this winter so I could have some more time to discuss matters with you guys. This have been really helpfull and I have now realised that the Mercruiser 1,7 diesel is not an good alternative.

Meaning that if we go for the Humber 8m we need at least the Volvo D3-160 (160hp) or an larger engine. I do like the compact size, low weight, low fuel consumption, good torque (340Nm) and the spec of the Volvo. Both the Humber RIB and the Humber engine housing is just beautifull as well.
Would a 7 or 7.5 meter boat give us more power reserves?

But I also realised that Ribcraft is another well priced alternative, priced a bit above the Humber. Anyone who know about the quality, performance, waranty, service difference between the two companies - Humber and Ribcraft ??
Old 11 February 2004, 18:34   #8

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Revenger?

Well, have you considered Revenger RIBs? I test drove Revenger 27 with 230 hp MerCruiser IB and the boat felt nice. Not a commercial heavy-duty machine, but for diving use might be suitable. Top speed was something around 40 kn five persons onboard.

Still, are you sure you want diesel inboard? How about outboards, much cheaper and you can get nice twin OBs with a price of diesel(s). Your combination of speed, price and size does not support diesel engines very well...anyway, I hope you find a suitable boat.
Old 11 February 2004, 18:47   #9

Have seen the Revengers webpage. We are looking for a bit more "workhorse/commercial" type of boat than the Revenger.

My partner has a RIB today with outboard engine. He had lots of troubles with it and will never buy an outboard again. We tend to be going far out in the ocean and do need something more reliable than a single outboard.

With fuel prices at more than 1,2€ a litre and diesel @ 0,45€ a litre with maybe 200 hours a year we have to take this into consideration. Second hand prices on Diesels are also better.
Old 11 February 2004, 19:58   #10
nik

Town: east cowes
Make: academic
Length: no boat
Engine: fresh air
MMSI: N/A
Some of this was discussed a little while ago, on this thread:

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3624

Nick.
Old 11 February 2004, 20:11   #11

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Personaly i dont think reliability is an issue with the new outboards but id still go for a diesel.

In an 8m rib i think a big Yanmar would be much better suited. That or twin mercruisers.
Old 11 February 2004, 20:30   #12

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Hi Michaels

I have the Ribcraft 7.8 with Yanmar 240HP/Bravo 3 drive.

Love the boat to bits, have done quite a few a hours now and have great confidence in the Ribcraft. Am often out in rough conditions (much the the displeasure of other people joining me), see http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...0&pagenumber=2 the more I go out the more I decide the RIB has much more left whne the going get rough.

For me it was between Humber & Ribcraft but Ribcraft won as Humber kept pushing the 120Hp 1.7L engine in a 7M, which i belived was under powered.
I also belive the quality was better on the Ribcraft from the boats we saw at Ribex, but that could have just been rushing the show boats to get to the show ( Note Humber, these show boats is what people are going to judge you on)

With the 240HP I get about 36Kts with 4 people.
I mainly run at about 3000RPM, which is delivering about 170HP at the prop and gives about 25-28 Kts
As far a torque goes the Yanmar 4LHAM-STZP gives about 625 Nm at 2600RPM.
Personaly I think Yanmars take some beating.
Fuel is about 0.8 to 1.0 L/NM
As far as build quality, well not found anything wrong yet, built like a tank, but this does have a weight issue. Ribcrfat have now addressed this with their 7.5 which I belive is much lighter.

If I have to pick again it would a Ribcraft, good boats, good service only slight issue it delivery as they are often over booked.

Pity your a long way away, you would ahve been welcome to have a run in mine, as I am sure may people would do, to see what suits you.

Regards Gary
Old 11 February 2004, 21:04   #13

Town: Tampere
Make: Atlantic 21, Avon SR4.0
Length: 6,9 m
Engine: Mercury F60 EFI x2
Outboards

I agree that Revenger is more a pleasureboat than workhorse. Ordering a Revenger with 1500 g/m3 Hypalon and couple extra features like heavy duty fendering & seating might still make their boat suitable to you. Revenger website is awful by the way...

I told you wrong information in my previous mail, it was Yanmar 230 hp engine that I test drove but it was installed to MerCruiser sterndrive. Nice combination anyway.

Your friend with outboards is pretty unlucky. My friend has driven 6-cylinder big Yamahas for over 1300 hours completely without problems in his big RIBs during last two summer. I have still heard, that large Hondas are unreliable, so there may be variations in reliability. Twin Yamahas, say 2x150 hp HPDI, would be my suggestion to your use if we speak about OBs. Here in Finland the state allow tax-free use of gasoline for commercial boats, so pricing of diesel doesn't play a role when choosing engines. But if you can find a diesel suitable for your boat, just go for it, at least there's nothing worng with them except price and weight.

In case you are looking serious workboat RIB, Boomeranger Boats (from Finland :-))might be one possible builder. They are 100% commercial builders and the price of the basic boat without extra features might not cost huge sum of money. At least they have 7.4 metre hull delivered widely with different kind of propulsions including OBs and diesels.
Old 11 February 2004, 21:14   #14

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Inboard Size

i have a 7m humber, which to be honest, i was pushed to go for the Mercruiser, although it was a waste of time, because i had already decided on the volvo, so have a 170 HP KAD 32 fitted, not by Humber, by the dealer, that i chose, and it was, in my mind the better choice -- more hassle, but better.............

The new generation of volvo's are looking goood, but are by no means tested in the real world, so do not know, better because of maintainence, and only one drive belt etc etc.

On the whole the 7m is the best fun boat, and will happily get going, easily., with 12 on board.
The Mercruiser, would struggle, and am glad i did not buy.

The volvo has proved faultless with now 1000 hours on, and would in my mind get an 8m going, but would 'feel' underpowered, but would prob do the job.
If i had to choose again - right now, i would look at the VW diesels, and wait 6 months to see what the new volvos D3's etc were behaving like.

Pete