Click Here to Login

Old 30 August 2005, 11:37   #1

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Length: 4m +
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
update on launching and a few bits of advice required

Hi
had first weekend away with the avon searider thanks for all the advice on launching really helped ,the slipway i used was on the campsite at seaview and is only 7ft wide so had to be pretty accurate especially as had only 2 wheel drive sedona and the sllipway is made of 2 ramps with sand in the middle ,if theres any tips as one day went fine the next took about 12 attempts to get the 60ft down to the water and had to explain to every one watching thats not how to do it!!! ,the recovery was no problem wheeled the trailer down and hooked up at the water
the rib was absolutey brilliant after having the bombard aerotec found the rib could just cut through the choppy waters at speed and the ride got smooother the faster it went.was really exillerating flying across the sea & the boat seemed so stable and in control
a few questions:-
1/ what glue do i need the rib is approx 1998.got a few bits of the fabic which have lifted slightly on the seems of the fabric strips which go round the cones to tube joins and the avon badges are almost off!
2/ want to get a second fuel tank anyone recommend a place and the type of connector required
3/ is there a technique used for reversing trailer or is it just practice
4/ does top speed of 33mph sound about right for this outfit 50 merc and 4m searider with 4 adults onboard
thanks again to all
Dean
Old 30 August 2005, 11:46   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
1. Henshaw sell the glue online here
2. Towsure sell fuel tanks and connectors here
3. practice
4. Doesn't sound far wrong to me
regards
Jiz
Old 30 August 2005, 13:12   #3

thanks for the links pretty much sorted now
Dean
Old 30 August 2005, 20:03   #4

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
re speed - I've got an Avon 4.65 SeaSport with a 50 hp Yam - I can get an indicated 33 knots FOT with just myself on board - this drops to 28 knots with 4 up - so I'd say you're about right....

Re adhesive - Avon recommend Bostik 2402

Tank fittings depend on the fuel line (and engine type) - if you're buying a generic tank, then you buy the tank fitting seperately..
Old 30 August 2005, 21:14   #5

thanks for your reply decided to go another way . but need advice again ,
i have two yamaha tanks from my bombard yam 30 2002 model outboard which have smaller fittings than the Mercury 50 2 stroke 1999 model
what i want to achieve is make or buy a complete fuel line with primer with yamaha fitting at tank end and mercury 50 fitting at outboard end this will be better than buying new tank all i have to do is change fuel line at outboard then
need to no what fittings and parts to buy to achieve this see towsure have connectors but dont know what ones fit what
thanks in advance

just another thought will the fact the yam tank has smaller fitting, restrict petrol flow and cause problems ?
Old 30 August 2005, 22:01   #6
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Take one of your tanks and your merc fittings to a yam dealer/chandler and you should be able to buy the fittings and all the bits you need. I've always taken tanks in with me as that way I know the connector fits.Ask them about the fuel flow-I doubt it'll make much difference though, I run my 50 on one Evinrude tank and a merc tank and there's no difference with the smaller evinrude fitting. If the yam fitting is screwed into the tank with a 3.8 thread it MAY be possible to convert your tanks to merc fittings.

There's a proper 2-part hypalon glue made by polymarine that my local place swears by-they say it's actually the stuff avon use to glue the tubes together in the 1st place. Again, a good chandlers will sell it.Try and stay away from the 1-part stuff, it appears to be evostik in disguise-it smells and looks just like it. (though I may be wrong!) I've used the 1-part for experimentation with stuff because it's quite easy to remove...not tried to remove the 2-part yet though.

33mph sounds about right- I get 35 at WOT on flat seas with an earlier 50hp and 2 on board-though I'm a fat git and it's the equivalent to 3....and it's screaming at that speed.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2005, 07:55   #7

thanks for that speed does sound about right im 15 1/2 stone fat bas--d and the others are no lightweights . did have a bit of trouble getting on the plane all the weight is towards the back would hydrofoils improve this
just got a quote of £30.00 for made up fuel line does this sound right from barnet marine there never the cheapest !!
and your right about evostik the avon name patches which have lifted look like they have been restuck with this evostick glue
how do you prepare fabric for best bond?
Old 31 August 2005, 10:47   #8

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
dunno about the price - it's probably not going to be that much cheaper anywhere else...

Re the repairs...

look here for advice: http://www.henshaw.co.uk/default.cfm/loadindex.125

I just carried out some repairs myself recently - where the tapes covering the seams on my tubes was lifting. Avon recommended the Bostik 2402, its 2 part glue - very easy to mix up and use.

I checked first with Polymarine - they told me they had a suitable product, but advised me to look locally myself first - because the glue is classed as a hazardous product - and shipping it would be expensive.

Making the repairs was as simple as pie. I cleaned the old glue off first - I first used an hacksaw blade as a scraper to clean off the big stuff (using a scraping motion - not a cutting motion !!) - the I sanded it with coarse sandpaper. I then cleaned the whole area with acetone (again - readily available in the local chandler/rib supply store....).

There were no instructions re proportions for mixing the two parts of the glue - so I made a rough guess - about a quarter of the container of each. For a mixing vessel - I got an old 2 litre coke bottle and cut the bottom part off. Keep the top part (it makes a useful funnel!)

Then I followed teh advice on the Henshaws page for applying the glue - spread a layer of glue on both surfaces, let it set till it's not tacky, then spread another thin layer of gle, let it go off, then press the 2 surfaces together. I didnt have a seam roller available - so I used a plug spanner socket.

The stick worked a treat. I didnt roll it enough, because there's still a tiny air bubble under the seam. Also - I didnt clean off all the residual glue soon enough - so I have a small amoumt of set glue showing at the edges of the tapes. But all in all, I was delighted with the job - it was a complete mystery to me starting out - but really no great shakes. Apart from the adhesive qualities etc of the one part evostik type glue - which I dont know about - My feeling is that the 2 part Hypalon glue is easier to use.

seems like we're all fat gits then....
Old 31 August 2005, 11:01   #9

thanks off to the marine shop tomorrow!!
Old 31 August 2005, 12:01   #10

Town: Cumbria
Bostik 2402 prep and use can be found here: http://www.bostikfindley.com.au/pdf/...ostik_2402.pdf

4% mix is good.

Definitely confirm that you need to wait until both surfaces are tack dry or it can "travel".......as I found out to my cost when repairing a drysuit sock

For the solvent you can use acetone or cellulose thinners : in a well ventilated area or you'll be
Old 31 August 2005, 15:46   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
£30 for a fuel line does sound a bit much- I made my own up for less, just bought a long length of hose from a dealer and the connections and bulb from ebay-you can quite often pick up the connectors for a quid.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote