Old 08 March 2008, 13:06   #41

Town: Bristol
Length: 5m +
Do you have any legal protection elements to other insurance policies, like your home?

These may give you cover without having to pay for a different solicitor........

Just a thought.

Orve.
Old 08 March 2008, 13:29   #42

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Unfortunately, I am going to try and go down on monday and see if I can talk to him face to face and get this sorted. Failing that I will have a solictors letter sent to him and follow that route. My biggest gripe, is that it is going to cost me money to get a solicitor involved when I truly believe that I don't owe him anything.
Take an Indepentant witness with you to make notes! an dkeep your cool, polite and state you wish to resolve the matter, if you have any evidence re the other engine take copies of this with you.
Hope all goes well
Old 08 March 2008, 13:54   #43

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
I saw a programme a few years back where someone had had their car impounded at a spray shop for similar reasons.

What they did was break in and recover their car. Used bolt croppers on all the padlocks, and then replaced em with new ones on their way out to avoid any opportunists taking advantage. They videod the whole thing to ensure there could be no "allegations" of breaking or nicking other stuff.
Old 08 March 2008, 19:52   #44

Boat name: SOLD
Length: under 3m
I feel sorry for you Ben
four years ago a bearing, Just one bearing went on our trailer as the boat was in
Northney Mariner i whipped it round to Hayling Trailers and asked him to replace just the one bearing as it was used to launch
I called in the next day and he had cut all the break cables and replaced all the bearings. I went mad, and was told that unless they where paid in CASH no credit cards as they can be subject to charge back, i could sing for my trailer and it was pushed to the back of there yard. In short i like you did not have any thing in writing, amounting to a contract, as such it was my word against theres and yes they where legally entailed to keep my trailer until i payed up.
I paid up.
I know its a bore but get it all in writing take pictures times and date,s etc etc
there is no such thing as trust any more. as more and more people seam to develop selective memory loss when it suits them. If you write send it special delivery (Silver) not the recorded Orange ones.
Ho and by the way try and get a costing from the solicitor you are using.
Old 08 March 2008, 20:04   #45

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I can't see how your uncle's debt has anything to do with you but like you say it may take time.

Go down there and remove your boat during office hours, if he stops you there is bound to be a 'disturbance' and the police may need to be called if you know what I mean.

He will then have to lie to the face of a police officer, no good for his case me thinks...
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2008, 20:19   #46

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
If he cant remember you outboards maybe the inland revenue will help him remember and vat inspector
Old 08 March 2008, 20:54   #47

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
If he cant remember you outboards maybe the inland revenue will help him remember and vat inspector
Very good point, providing they went though the books of course.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2008, 20:59   #48

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I think the point is if they did not go through the books, he'll be quaking in his boots at the idea of a VAT inspection
Old 08 March 2008, 21:03   #49

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
Basically, the boat yard are telling me that I still owe £3500 for storage of my boat from 06-07 however, this was agreed to be covered when they sold my old 115 engines and kept the money. When I reminded him that he sold my engines, he replied with "what engines" and told me that if my uncle paid his debt that maybe his memory would improve..
Sounds a bit like theft if you read it a couple of times.
Old 08 March 2008, 23:10   #50

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
I think the point is if they did not go through the books, he'll be quaking in his boots at the idea of a VAT inspection
Yeh, I figured that. But it's a win win situation, because if they did go though the books there would be evidence of the Engines and the sale of them and how much they got for them.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 March 2008, 08:29   #51

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Yes ,But i was trying to be more subtle.Just go down there with two freinds to discuss your boat . tell him that him denying you your boat and also the knowledge of the outboards is both dishonest and underhand and therefore unreasonable which makes by his own doing imposible to deal with in any reasonable way.So he leaves you no option other than for you to go straight round to the inland revenue to discuss with the the problem you have and could they please check his records for your outboard. with him as hes denying all knowledge of your engines.Or give me my boat now to take away as a solution to your problem.Try to turn it around so he now has a problem,one that he can easily sort out by giveing you your boat back.Auditors cost a lot of money.Maybe the guys books are well kept and he is honest with his accounts.
Old 09 March 2008, 13:18   #52

Town: Newcastle Staffs
Boat name: blue it
Make: ribcraft 7.5
Engine: suzuki df225
Send a message via AIM to Top banana
why not report the outboards as being sold without your permision, after being stored there over winter.obviously you have the engine details. The boat yard owner will then have to 1, admit that you gave him permission to sell them, and so will be able to supply details or 2, risk pergering himself by
denying all knowledge. turn the tables on him and let him do all the explaining
to the police and insurance company, if the engines were insured.
Old 09 March 2008, 19:28   #53

Boat name: Jaws
Make: Gemini 4.2
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50hp
MMSI: none
Send a message via MSN to Gray
When impounding something for the purpose of potentially covering the cost of a debt, does a notice have to be attached to it to say so, similar to that when your car gets clamped. If so it might be worth checking to see if there is one, although I suspect that if he has been through a solicitor then there might well be.
Old 10 March 2008, 09:17   #54

Town: Essex
Boat name: Cetacean Protector
Make: Plasteco Milano
Engine: 75hp
There's another way of dealing with this as well.

Go online, and issue a County Court action on his company. Offer two remedies - unencumbered return of the item concerned, or its current market value equivalent.

He or his solicitor will then have 14 days to reply, in which case they must either comply, or provide written evidence (invoices, contract, etc) to back up their claim.

Will cost you around £60 online (www.moneyclaim.gov.uk) which is a bit less than a solicitors letter which he will probably ignore.

Simon
Old 10 March 2008, 10:15   #55

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
When impounding something for the purpose of potentially covering the cost of a debt, does a notice have to be attached to it to say so,
Yes, when I've done it, I collected an asset of the customers, roughly equal to the debt in value, taken it to storage, informed the debtor by letter on site where the equipment will be stored, and made it clear that it would not be released until the debt settled. But then you have to take out an arrestment on the asset which is a legal document, done by a sheriff or similar in Scotland giving you title to the asset if payment of clearly marked debts are not settled withing a specified time, and that you would also charge storage for the item. It may be that the storage costs exceed the value of the asset whereby you may obtain lawful possession
Old 10 March 2008, 14:47   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Let us know how you get on and if your boat needs 'liberating'
Im with you on this Jim. Take a disc cutter down and take the boat away. As long as you give all the parts of any locks used back he cant doing anything about it. This also stands for whellclamping!
Old 17 March 2008, 21:01   #57
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
So come on Benc, how did you resolve this, or is it still a problem, how is it going(if you can say)
Old 17 March 2008, 21:36   #58

Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
I have the boat back now and it is in its new home, just a few bits to tie up now
Old 17 March 2008, 21:54   #59

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Good stuff
Old 26 April 2010, 15:48   #60

Length: no boat
*bump* this very old thread.

I got reading it somehow...and wanna know how op got his boat back....by force or by reason...it's a cliffhanger!