Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post
I spoke to the police, they said they can't help as its a Civil matter.

I have just spoken to the boat yard again, this time they say that if my Uncle calls him that his memory about my engines might improve!

Sounds Like he has a problem with your uncle and you are getting blamed or used in some way .
Old 07 March 2008, 19:17   #22

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: True Blue
Make: Humber ocean pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 150 opti
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURCHER View Post
In my experience DONT phone at all ,do it all by letter or email as there is then a hard copy of what you have asked for ,it will also force him to reply to your points , 'he said ' I said ' etc can often get very muddled . I suggest an email or letter to the yard with all the points in chronological order. Also mention in the letter that you want to settle the matter without recourse to solicitors . If and when you go to court you will be the one who appears reasonable and helpfull.Dont get involved in any slanging matches .
Top advise
Old 07 March 2008, 19:25   #23

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Let us know how you get on and if your boat needs 'liberating'
Ben, really sorry to hear of your problems, the very short time I spent talking to this guy whilst doing a job for another member on here convinced me he was a little unreasonable.

You must try to do this properly if it may end up involving solicitors etc, as mentioned its a big bonus for you to appear to be the reasonable one.

However if you do want your boat back, I do own some bolt croppers, and we could go in under cover of darkness in one of my other boats shown below.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Benc.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	33330  
Old 07 March 2008, 19:30   #24

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
count me in!! Nos would be up for it too
Old 07 March 2008, 19:33   #25

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Aquaholic
Make: Ribeye
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 V8
Send a message via Skype™ to benc
Hehe, thanks guys... I think I have about another 50 people all offering to help too However, this one is definately for the courts... I will be really upset if this isnt sorted in time for summer... if it not sorted very soon, I will have to counter claim for loss of earnings also, as I wanted to charter the boat this year... it was out of action all of last year because they couldnt fix the bloody thing! I now have one year and a bit left on the warranty so its getting a bit annoying!
Old 07 March 2008, 19:41   #26

Nasher, your other boat looks awesome, is it the new Revenger??
Old 07 March 2008, 19:44   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
Nasher, your other boat looks awesome, is it the new Revenger??
I was thinking the same, but ruled it out... there isnt enough chines!
Old 07 March 2008, 19:48   #28
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
Ben, sorry your having grief when on what it appears is anothers fault. The issue of holding someone elses property can be done if the other person believes they are owed the item or value of the item, but to hold another persons boat to gain payment does not under my understanding fall in this area unless the boat is owned by the person owing the money. Believe this becomes theft in these circs but would ask solicitor to confirm or ask for a knowledgable detective who has been trained to expand as probably the 'cop' you saw would not know this area in depth.
Old 07 March 2008, 19:49   #29
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
another idea- Citizens advice OR insurance companies have legal advice lines
Old 07 March 2008, 20:12   #30

( sorry to nick the thread) Nasher..., what engine you going to fit on it??
may i suggest the new Verado 300!!
Old 07 March 2008, 21:30   #31

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster21 View Post
Spooky thing is every time I click on that link it crashes Internet Explorer. Does that mean something ?
Old 07 March 2008, 21:31   #32

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Ben, really sorry to hear of your problems, the very short time I spent talking to this guy whilst doing a job for another member on here convinced me he was a little unreasonable.

You must try to do this properly if it may end up involving solicitors etc, as mentioned its a big bonus for you to appear to be the reasonable one.

However if you do want your boat back, I do own some bolt croppers, and we could go in under cover of darkness in one of my other boats shown below.

Nasher.
Er. Not by sea I hope in that thing.

And if it was on land wouldn't we look a bit suspicious !
Old 07 March 2008, 22:46   #33

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
Go and recover your boat, lots of us will help. Then worry about the legal side, my guess is that this guy is an ignorant bully. I had a similar situation with a well known Land Rover guy just outside Horsham a few years ago.
Old 07 March 2008, 22:48   #34

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Sorry to hijack the thread, but its definately a sea boat.

300HP a bit OTT considering its designed to take a 6HP Royal Enfield inboard launch engine.

Ben
Good move to do it all properly, its so annoying when something like this happens.
It shows how important it is document any agreement such as the deal with the old engines, as a seamingly good plan with the most friendly trustworthy person can go wrong so quickly.
I've worked in procurement long enough to realise that verbal agreements are worthless when buisness needs to be done.

By the way, not sure if he's still there, but Brian, the guy that used to work off the pontoon dealing in Binliners etc isn't such a bad bloke, and shouldn't be confused with the main business.

Nasher.
Old 08 March 2008, 09:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by benc View Post

I rementioned the whole deal again, and he said he needs to go through his accounts, and work out whats what and that he will do it today and get back to me.
Well, I followed him up today, and asked him if he had gone through his accounts... hes now told me that he wont go through the accounts until my uncle has paid the money he owes. That was the last chance to sort it amicably... going to be talking to solictor again on monday to get this sorted.

I really hope this doesnt drag on, as I want my boat for the summer!
Old 08 March 2008, 10:01   #36

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I think the interesting thing about this is that the dealer cannot tell you what you owe. How can he impound property stating you owe him money but then cannot tell you how much and from where?
If the debt isn't yours then I would get a solicitor to write to him saying you are collecting the boat on such and such a date and if this isn't allowed then a full explanation of why and what the debt is.
I can't believe it is just civil rather than criminal to hold other people property without any evidence or even accusations to back it up.
Old 08 March 2008, 12:26   #37

Town: Fareham
Yes, if there are no grounds on which he won't let you have your boat (ie: you don't owe him money) then I see no reson why you can't collect your boat. I would reccy the site to determine whether you have easy access to your boat, tell the police you intend to go down and collect your boat, drive straight into the yard, hook your trailer up and go. Providing you don't cause criminal damage and don't lay one on him, I dought there is anything that he can do to stop you short of blockading the gate. I would rally some RIBnet members to be in the area at the same time as independent witnesses and if he stops you from leaving then ring the police and tell them. They'll soon get involved and providing that you have proof that the RIB is yours and he has no proof that you owe anything then I see no reson that you can't take the RIB then and there. If he gets shirty them some anonimous bystanders could help you out, if you get my drift.

Good luck with the Solicitor if you take that course.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2008, 12:40   #38

Unfortunately, I don't think that the boat is going to be accessable, I had someone look down the yard last night for me, but couldn't see the boat, so I am going to try and go down on monday and see if I can talk to him face to face and get this sorted. Failing that I will have a solictors letter sent to him and follow that route. My biggest gripe, is that it is going to cost me money to get a solicitor involved when I truly believe that I don't owe him anything.
Old 08 March 2008, 12:44   #39

Town: Isle of Wight
Length: no boat
I've read this thread and really sympathise with you. I'm not sure I've followed it completely, but my understanding of the law is that the yard does have a lieu (ie a charge) on YOUR boat, but not your Uncle's for anything YOU own the yard.

Are you a member of the RYA? I think they used to have a legal team that might be able to help. Alternatively, what about writing to the PBO and/or Motor Boats Monthly as they both have legal advisers.

Good luck!
Old 08 March 2008, 12:54   #40

Basically, the boat yard are telling me that I still owe £3500 for storage of my boat from 06-07 however, this was agreed to be covered when they sold my old 115 engines and kept the money. When I reminded him that he sold my engines, he replied with "what engines" and told me that if my uncle paid his debt that maybe his memory would improve..