Old 01 December 2006, 01:40   #21

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I guess you have to value you lower end a whole bunch to spend that amount of dosh on a hinged seat with a spring/ shock aborber. Over priced American crap that managed to con the US military into buying. Mind you, if you have been in the US defense industry you will know that is not difficult to do. Their vocabulary comprises of 3 words, Yes, No and Huh? And, "I had better get a private consultant to make that decisioin"
Old 01 December 2006, 02:35   #22

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I guess you have to value you lower end a whole bunch to spend that amount of dosh on a hinged seat with a spring/ shock aborber. Over priced American crap that managed to con the US military into buying. Mind you, if you have been in the US defense industry you will know that is not difficult to do. Their vocabulary comprises of 3 words, Yes, No and Huh? And, "I had better get a private consultant to make that decisioin"
You're right, my lower end is not worth that kind of dosh but my back, neck and knees are. For those of us that aren't so young and want to play or work hard, every little advantage helps. Unfortunately, Ullman's seat is the only one out there that works.

This American for one is willing to pay the price for a very well designed, albeit very expensive, Swedish product. I've offered you a ride before and the offer still stands. Look us up if ever in California and see for yourself.

As a result of using his seats we became a dealer for Ullman in the US but are not making any money on sales to the UK. We also agree about the high price but unfortunately after many conversations have not been able to convince Ullman to drop the price. We're still trying.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2006, 03:13   #23

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Length: 6m +
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Sometimes Inflatable boat sales sells off ullman seats for Zodiac Hurricane some are used and some are new but with no upolstery on the new ones. They go for about a 10th of the price. You could email the owner Cormac and see if he has any in.

www.inflatableboatsales.com
Old 01 December 2006, 06:51   #24

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
.......anyone fancy designing one?
Old 01 December 2006, 11:29   #25

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
.......anyone fancy designing one?
It's already been done. There is a Flatacraft 6m somewhere in Scotland I think that has two home designed and fabricated suspension bucket seats that use a motorcycle shockabsorber. The seats were designed and built by a chap called Chris Hough and there was an article in RIB International somewhere back in 98/99 about them. I drove the boat in flat calm so wakejumping was the only real test I could put them through. They seemed to work very well though and I know Chris had a much more comfortable time on the ScotRIB 99 event than I did in our BWM DS21.

Chris went on to design a mark 2 version which he fitted to a Scorp 8.1m he fitted out. He had a buddy who's name I forget who fitted out a similar boat at that time which is also in Scotland. Chris and the Scorp moved to the US where he and the boat went through hurricane Katrina in New Orleans last year. He's now in Atlanta and I believe refurbing the boat after recovering it some months after the Hurricane. The Flatacraft (Khan II) was sold to a bloke on the west coast of Scotland IIRC.

The costs involved in design and fabrication were somewhere in the order of the Ullman seat price though.

EDIT: Ribnet article from Chris Hough here: http://ribevents.com/site/index.php?...=269&Itemid=84
Old 01 December 2006, 13:37   #26

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelwatch View Post
You're right, my lower end is not worth that kind of dosh but my back, neck and knees are. For those of us that aren't so young and want to play or work hard, every little advantage helps. Unfortunately, Ullman's seat is the only one out there that works.

This American for one is willing to pay the price for a very well designed, albeit very expensive, Swedish product. I've offered you a ride before and the offer still stands. Look us up if ever in California and see for yourself.

As a result of using his seats we became a dealer for Ullman in the US but are not making any money on sales to the UK. We also agree about the high price but unfortunately after many conversations have not been able to convince Ullman to drop the price. We're still trying.
Ullman does not have the only seat that works Channelwatch, I have personally used one of these and they are quite effective. Our military has puchased Stidds, they may make your Ullman's look cheap however, quite pricey!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stidd  advanced shock mitigating seat.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	23536  
Old 01 December 2006, 13:48   #27

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The Stidds look very heavy and a load of people using them on a RIB would make the C of G very high.
Old 01 December 2006, 14:00   #28

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
The Stidds look very heavy and a load of people using them on a RIB would make the C of G very high.
They would look really good on the ol' War Machine!
Old 01 December 2006, 14:58   #29

Town: Ventura, California
Boat name: Maverick
Make: Ribcraft Mitigator
Engine: 2 150 hp Johnsons
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Ullman does not have the only seat that works Channelwatch, I have personally used one of these and they are quite effective. Our military has puchased Stidds, they may make your Ullman's look cheap however, quite pricey!
We researched several options including Stidd. There are also shock absorbing pedestals to which you mount your favorite seat, but for size and functionality Ullman is it. Check out this study comparing Ullman and Stidd, http://www.dtic.mil/dticasd/sbir/sbir012/s01-009.ppt#1.

It does look like a simple design, but from experience, I get off the boat without feeling the back, knee and neck discomfort I usually experience in comparable sea states without the seat.
Channelwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2006, 15:16   #30

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Quote:
Hmmmmmmm...........

Bold words indeed and not wisely selected.
Old 01 December 2006, 19:15   #31

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
That's 14 words

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2006, 21:26   #32

Town: Drøbak
Make: RIBTECH 9,5
Engine: Volvo D6 370
ullman

Our Tornado 9,5 has done over 400 hours this year
Allthoug its a big an heavy boat our back, neck and knees
is taking plenty of beating even in the calm Oslofjord.

Have tried several ribs wiyhout them but since were using
so many hours in the boat there really is no alternative.

Its allways an option to buy one and then you can change it over to
your next boat.

I strongly recomend Ullmans, Try one in some rough seas
and i think you will be convinced.

Roy