Old 16 August 2007, 13:43   #1

Length: 3m +
UKSA anyone got any exoperience of them ?

I am thinking about changing my career, and have been looking at these guys to give me a guide as to what I want to do ( not sure if I want to do watersports instruction or something in the yatching industry ).

They have a open day which I am going to, just wondered what people thought or if anyone could give advise please if you are in the industry.
Old 16 August 2007, 15:13   #2

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
I have no personal experience of their courses, apart from knowing a fair number of people who have been on one or more of their courses (inc. family members), but believe the UKSA to be an excellent organisation.

I understand they have excellent connections within the industry.
Old 16 August 2007, 15:47   #3

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
I am thinking about changing my career, and have been looking at these guys to give me a guide as to what I want to do ( not sure if I want to do watersports instruction or something in the yatching industry ).

They have a open day which I am going to, just wondered what people thought or if anyone could give advise please if you are in the industry.
My daughter has done three courses with the UKSA and for the past three years has worked for them as a watersports instructor both at Cowes and at their base in Australia. She found the courses quite tough, but passed out as a fully qualified instructor, and they have a very good careers advice set up when it comes to seeking employment. If you want to speak to her about the courses and get a failry frank view of what they offer and the pros and cons, call the UKSA and ask for Claire

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2007, 16:14   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: XS700
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 HP
Lukey

Once you have figured out whether you prefer the yachting or waterports direction I suggest you contact a few potential employers - get an idea of what they think.
Old 16 August 2007, 20:14   #5
RAD

Town: Essex
Boat name: Club Boat
Length: no boat
Engine: Yam 40hp
Lukey

Myself and girlfriend have both been on courses at UKSA. I did my Dinghy Instructor course at UKSA last year in August, and although tough and hard work was well taught. I was only there a week for the course I did.

My girlfriend did the JS (Jump Start), PIT (Profesional Instructor Training), PID (Professional Instructor Developement) back in 2002. The course is about 6 months in total and takes you from a complete beginner to a qualified instructor in windsurfing, sailing and kayaking. It also trains you in the other things required too. The PID course gets you started and overlooks you with teaching the courses, acting as a gap between the real world and training.

It does depend on what you want to do, whether funds (or funding) is available. There are jobs out there for all watersports instructors, the UK and abroard always need staff every year.

The UKSA runs courses for Motor and Yachting as well, I dont have any knowledge of this but do go along to the Open Day and ask for advice. The UKSA have valued service and are there to help.

With Southampton Boat show coming up, it may be worth a visit.
Old 16 August 2007, 21:49   #6

Town: Anglesey
uksa

they seem to spend a LOT on advertising, check the full colour full page ads in all the watersports press.

a mate of mine went there, had a good time, and got his tickets, but not totally positive about the place.

they seem to love acronyms..which people have reinvented
UKSA- u kant sail away
PCST (profesional crew and skipper training) poor c**t spent thousands
Old 16 August 2007, 23:09   #7

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
working at or teaching what is probably now your hobby or favourite sport isn't always as good as it may seem .
I taught kayaking and canoeing for a living a few years back and it took away a lot of the enjoyment and enthusiasm I had for the sport . After being on the water all week teaching beginners I lost the urge to get out for myself at weekends .

Iam not saying it happens to everyone and teaching other water sports may be better and more fun but worth bearing in mind . Also pay was very poor and there was always someone prepared to do the job for peanuts just to get experience for qualifications.
Old 17 August 2007, 07:13   #8

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Having worked with a few of their past students some have been very good at all the qualifications they got, but some had instructor tickets in various sports and were not very good at some of them.
I think this is a generic problem with the zero to hero style intensive courses, if you have knowledge in the sport covered before, then the intensive training can really help, but experience is hard to teach.
Thus if you have been doing them without the paperwork then this style is great and I suppose it depends on the attitude of the participant, if they think they know it all on completion or if they know there is always more to learn.

I have not had dealings with any recent UKSA graduates so they may well have changed everything, but I guess the lots of advertising is because not many people have the dosh or time to take 6 months off to do this style of course.

Rgds
James