Old 01 August 2008, 08:49   #1

Length: 3m +
UK Regs

Hi All,
I am trying to find out what regualtions, licencsing and insuring etc it required to take a small sib on Englands waterways and seas.
I rang the MCA but the guy I need was apparently on holiday and the guy I spoke to couldn't advise me on anything smaller than a ferry!!
All info greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Mark
Old 01 August 2008, 09:35   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
There aren't any regs on the sea apart from the collision regulations (google ColRegs and you'll find them) though a modicum of common sense is required. The waterways are a different matter-you'd need to ask British Waterways or someone who works for them for that.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 August 2008, 12:56   #3

Town: Here
Boat name: doggypaddle
Make: Avon 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 80
And as far as i am aware the BWB doesnt cover all rivers, for example the avon is covered by the upper and lower avon navigation trusts who deal with licencing.
if your sib is below a certain size and engine power you may not need a licence, first port of call as Nos says is the BWB.
Old 01 August 2008, 14:38   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
as far as i know on british waterways owned canals and rivers the only thing you need is a day permit which is bought from them selves b/w at watford main office or by certain canal and river chandlers ,it used to cost going back a few years about £4.50p for the day or about £7 .oop for a weeks permit without the use of locks , this was also restricted to 4 hp outboards on canals and 10 hp on rivers or tidal sections owned by b/w.but the strange fact is that if you dont have one and you get caught by a b/w inspector that apparently dont work week ends you just pay double the day permit cost .this also applies if you have a rowing boat ,for anything other than a day boat ie cabin cruiser you have to have a safety certificate and the rules are very stringent ie correct fuel piping up to a certain standard at one time which dident even exist except in the aircraft industry though they have changed that one now and hose couplings have to be crimped. basicaly a load of bollacks for the engine side of things ,