Old 18 June 2021, 22:21   #1

Town: Swansea
Length: 4m +
Type of kill switch

After buying my first Rib, I'm focusing on sorting the security and safety of the boat before I hit the water.

My 40hp Mariner didn't come with a kill switch chord. The switch is a toggle type shown below.

Could anyone tell me what connector I will need for it? I'm concerned that if a clip type connector is attached then only a pull directed downwards would kill it?

Is it easier to replace the whole switch for a more robust type ie pull out?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210618_230800.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	137815  
Old 18 June 2021, 22:46   #2

Town: Jersey
Boat name: Jazcabel
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Petrol 150
We had the run off toggle switch on our rescue Sibs. Swapped them out right away as they were unreliable and kept on falling out, killing the motor.

I’d go for the close to stop circuit type red switch that have a much more tighter clip.
Old 18 June 2021, 22:48   #3

Town: Swansea
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post
We had the run off toggle switch on our rescue Sibs. Swapped them out right away as they were unreliable and kept on falling out, killing the motor.

I’d go for the close to stop circuit type red switch that have a much more tighter clip.
That's what I'm afraid of.

On closer inspection I can see a void above the switch. Am I right in thinking the clip slides up under the lip so forcing it down when the cord is pulled?
Old 18 June 2021, 23:16   #4

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanchan168 View Post

but remember to have a spare kill cord on the boat somewhere and all crew know where it is.
Old 18 June 2021, 23:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack09 View Post
That's what I'm afraid of.

On closer inspection I can see a void above the switch. Am I right in thinking the clip slides up under the lip so forcing it down when the cord is pulled?
Yes but the fittment was so poor, they clip only rests in the run position. They were so unreliable we removed them.
Old 18 June 2021, 23:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
but remember to have a spare kill cord on the boat somewhere and all crew know where it is.
We always do. Problem with these was that we transport over land at speed to launch, sometimes in the surf. The vibration from bumps in the road meant these fell out so when we tried to start the boat for a surf launch, it wouldn’t start and would flood the boat and make us potentially beam on.

Defo a safety issue, so we retro fitted close to stop kill switches. Much more firmer.
Old 19 June 2021, 06:41   #7

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
https://www.bottomlinemarine.com/pro...ury_3262.shtml

I think it will be one of these.

You put the end of the loop in the slot when the switch is in the off position. Putting the switch in the on position traps the loop. Pulling the lanyard pulls the loop out causing the switch to go into the off position.

Notwithstanding the comments above, it's a pretty common system and ordinarily quite robust.

Is your RIB tiller steered? If so, the comments above are applicable. If your RIB has a console and you steer from there, the usual way is to have a kill switch on the console and then the fork type lanyard with a spring loaded plunger is a common approach. In this case the switch on the outboard would be mainly redundant.
Old 19 June 2021, 10:01   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>Is your RIB tiller steered?

Yep this is the important consideration.... because most Seariders have wheel/remotes/console so you should mod it for a kill switch near the wheel.

If you are tiller steer then fit a more modern switch to the outboard... they were modded from the late 1990s so the cord clip was firmly held and could only come out if the switch moved to the off posn.

If you are going dash/console mounted this is the later Mercury/Mariner type. Apart from being the panel mount version the switch is the later type with the same way of working as the ourboard mount versions... you can see in the image the clip is firmly contained and can only come out when it pulls the toggle down to stop.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273434139213