Old 16 December 2005, 19:01   #1

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Twin Engine Linkage - Part II

Assuming that I can have a back-up engine on my boat (there are also trim tabs to negotiate), it occurs to me that the gears in particular will be difficult to reach.

Does anyone on RIBnet have gears fitted (and perhaps even the throttle linkage) a la yacht-style, i.e. small levers tucked away somewhere either near the back of the boat or alongside the main engine controls?

I appreciate that this is not likely to be common but there must be a better way than hanging over the back of the boat (which will have a rear bench seat and o/b well) to change gear. In fact, I quite like the idea of using a small 4-stroke for much of the slow-speed driving but I would aim to run up the main engine in good time to warm it up before opening up the throttle.

One obvious benefit of this is that if I do have to use the back-up on account of main engine failure, it should start first time and be very reliable.

Your thoughts on these ideas would be most welcome.

Thank you!

Chris.
Old 16 December 2005, 19:13   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Murray
Assuming that I can have a back-up engine on my boat (there are also trim tabs to negotiate), it occurs to me that the gears in particular will be difficult to reach.

Does anyone on RIBnet have gears fitted (and perhaps even the throttle linkage) a la yacht-style, i.e. small levers tucked away somewhere either near the back of the boat or alongside the main engine controls?

I appreciate that this is not likely to be common but there must be a better way than hanging over the back of the boat (which will have a rear bench seat and o/b well) to change gear. In fact, I quite like the idea of using a small 4-stroke for much of the slow-speed driving but I would aim to run up the main engine in good time to warm it up before opening up the throttle.

One obvious benefit of this is that if I do have to use the back-up on account of main engine failure, it should start first time and be very reliable.

Your thoughts on these ideas would be most welcome.

Thank you!

Chris.

Funnily enough I wish to do exactly the same!!! I will rig something up myself but the biggest prob will be the throttle/gear selector - I thought to just set whatever speed setting and then use just use the steering.

An alternative solution that would be quite easy to rig up would be some servos and a R/C setup - and YES I am serious!!!
Old 16 December 2005, 22:29   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
The only rib that I can remember having a similar set up was Chris Kayes Sabredrive. An inboard Perkins Sabre engine matched to an experimental surface drive, fitted in a wide beamed Delta 6.5m.
For the third attempt at reaching Iceland he fitted a Yammar diesel outboard to the Starboard side with its own steering wheel and throttle. Since the Perkins only produced 160 hp with so much fuel on board he chose to run both inboard and outboard at the same time. He made it to Iceland btw. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of sabrdrive on here but it did feature in Rib International on several occasions.

You could try him on the following e mail but can't guarantee he will see it.

chris@hotribs.com

Pete
Old 19 December 2005, 22:30   #4

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
Thanks guys.

I think that perhaps I am making this a bit complicated!

Merry Christmas!

Chris.
Old 20 December 2005, 07:48   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Err, yes, but you don't need to. Many of the small outboards have a throttle lock so you can set the revs and leave it running whilst steering the boat from the normal position. Things might get a little interesting around a harbour but you will be home by then so its not a problem.

Pete