Old 10 May 2001, 07:40   #1

Town: exeter,devon,england
Tubes?

Hi can anyone help me I'm thinking of building a 21 foot rib but Ineed to find someone that will supply and fit tubes.(not costing the earth)After speaking to one boat builder he said make to make my own which I'm intrested in doing but is there any books telling you how to do it?or has anyone ever done it would appreciate any help many thanks J.P.Statton
Old 10 May 2001, 07:55   #2

Town: Kinsale
Boat name: Tsunami/Saol Eile
Make: Excalibur Ribs
Length: 9m +
Engine: 350hp Volvo Diesel
Hi there,
it is certainly possible to build your own tubes but I'm not sure if it is the best thing to do. There is little chance of you being able to make them as good as the professionals and you can be sure it will be very time consuming.
I built my own 7m rib last year. I did all the build work along with a friend. The only two things we didn't make ourselves was the stainless steel work and the TUBES!
I would advise you to talk to Chris Hornidge at Henshaw Inflatables Ltd. They supply most of the UK manufacturers and the quality of their tubes is very good, also the price is quite reasonable.
The telephone number is 01963 33237 and the web address www.henshaw.co.uk
On the web page it tells you how to go about measuring the boat to ensure that the tubes are the correct shape.
Good luck with your project.

------------------
Joe
Old 10 May 2001, 12:51   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I agree completely with Joe -- get them from Henshaws. They have the benefit of a lot of experience, and produce some of the best RIB tubes available.

If the price they quote is more than you were planning to spend, then factor in the price of having to start from scratch when you get it horribly wrong first time!

Even if you manage to make a set of tubes that are OK, they still won't be as good as professionally manufactured ones.

On the other hand, if you are determined to go it alone Henshaw will supply you with all the materials you will need!

John

------------------
John Kennett
RIBnet