Click Here to Login

Old 24 June 2003, 19:55   #1

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Tempest
Make: Tornado
Length: 5.5mtr
Engine: 60hp Yamaha 4hp tohatsu
Tube to hull fitting localised failure.

Hi, new member. I have a tornado 5.5 mtr rib, tubes renewed in 2001, with very low hours yamaha 60 autolube power. I was talked into.....doing a return trip from Ireland to west wales (being very nonchalant here) and later found a slight maintenance problem. The tube slide rail underneath the rear of the tube (and outside the boat) is traditional `curtain rail` type with integral plastic rod to the tube which sleeves into the aluminium track fitted to the hull. The sliders on the sternmost section of the plastic rod has broken off remaining within the aluminium track,the rod is still within the tube . Total length maybe ten inches. What is the preferred method of repair ? Cut open the tube fold to release the rod, fit new and reinsert into the track.....or (sorry) selected cable ties between the two to reestablish the bond ? Advice welcome,
Neil
Old 24 June 2003, 21:08   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
If you are planning to continue cruising offshore then in my opinion the only course of action is to get it professionally repaired. Do it yourself only if you are convinced that you can do a proper job. Don't mess around with cable ties!

Who did the re-tube in 2001? I'd start by talking to them . . .

John