Old 31 July 2011, 10:34   #1

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Tube repair/Prep

I have a small seam thats come adrift ontop of the bow .. someones already done a repair by laying a rubber strip over the top of the joint in the middle and is reasonably tidy, but I need to lay a patch over one side of it and the tube to get it air tight again ... I have patches and the two part adhesive but I can't get MEK till Monday , but I do have cellulose thinners to use for cleaning the areas, tubes are PVC , so question is, should I give it a go now with the thinners, or wait till I get the proper stuff ? which would cost me a days holiday cruising if I wait ?
Old 01 August 2011, 08:08   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
are you sure its PVC tornados are normally PU unless retubed in hypalon , if it is old pu try sanding lightly then scrub with acetone and glue with 3 coats of hypalon glue it is supposed to work ( instructions from PU fabric manufacturer ) personally we dont glue any PU as we have found that first the nose joint comes apart normally folowed buy the rest of the joints so we always reccomend a retube .
Old 01 August 2011, 13:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
are you sure its PVC tornados are normally PU unless retubed in hypalon , if it is old pu try sanding lightly then scrub with acetone and glue with 3 coats of hypalon glue it is supposed to work ( instructions from PU fabric manufacturer ) personally we dont glue any PU as we have found that first the nose joint comes apart normally folowed buy the rest of the joints so we always reccomend a retube .
Hi Paul .. TBH its hard to tell ,, the fabric is the same colour both sides afaik but has been painted aswell. I opted to wait and get the MEK and repatched this morning with the 2 part glue .. others have suggested its PVC ? It definately needs retubed for sure .. I just cant make up my mind whether its worth it because of how little I use it, or better to buy another boat I am minded to retube as the engine and hull are good

Anyways next question, as the patch is in a slight curved area .. is it better to partially inflate and allow it to cure to profile, or leave it flat to cure ?
Old 01 August 2011, 15:18   #4

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
leave it flat to cure
Old 01 August 2011, 16:12   #5

Quote: