Old 01 February 2016, 12:28   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Tube repair

I've got a slow leak in a rear chamber which I've had several attempts at trying to find. I've used soapy water and searched and listened for the leak with no luck. I've only once heard it leaking while I was in the water alongside that chamber.

It takes around 5 days to soften enough for a pump up.

I was wondering if anyone had ever used the car inner tube slime to try and fix any holes and whether it might stuff up the pump valve.

My only thought of what the puncture might possibly be could of been from a grinder when I had a small alteration to the trailer, that got down the side of the tube.

By the way it's a new Zodiac with the ova tubes.

Jon
Old 01 February 2016, 12:39   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
jon

i wouldnt use that stuff its like snot and will cause lots of problems for future repair
take the valve out and use the repair milk as i call it from poly marine or similar place.
its called sealflex acrylic latex repair soloution £17 / 500ml
cheers
Old 01 February 2016, 12:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
jon

i wouldnt use that stuff its like snot and will cause lots of problems for future repair
take the valve out and use the repair milk as i call it from poly marine or similar place.
its called sealflex acrylic latex repair soloution £17 / 500ml
cheers
Thanks, will see if I can get some this side of the pond.

Cheers Jon
Old 01 February 2016, 15:16   #4

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
Thanks, will see if I can get some this side of the pond.

Cheers Jon
Why not remove your tubes and spray them with soapy water? That will expose if a piece of metal maybe caused a little puncture by the bolt rope. Then you can patch it quickly with the included repair kit with the boat easily...or you can purchase some good 2-part glue for the patch.

Be sure to put some clean tarps down when you inflate the tubeset off the boat.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2016, 00:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by office888 View Post
Why not remove your tubes and spray them with soapy water? That will expose if a piece of metal maybe caused a little puncture by the bolt rope. Then you can patch it quickly with the included repair kit with the boat easily...or you can purchase some good 2-part glue for the patch.

Be sure to put some clean tarps down when you inflate the tubeset off the boat.
I've seen the YouTube video removing tubes which didn't seem to be as simple as it sounds, in fact it took three people who seemed to know what they were doing. I might see if I can do it with my wife and eldest daughter giving a hand if you think they are that easy to do.

Jon
Old 02 February 2016, 00:09   #6

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
I've seen the YouTube video removing tubes which didn't seem to be as simple as it sounds, in fact it took three people who seemed to know what they were doing. I might see if I can do it with my wife and eldest daughter giving a hand if you think they are that easy to do.

Jon
the biggest tips I can give are to have your trailer hooked up to your truck. When you grab the tube, grab as close to the bolt rope as you can. It helps to pull it off a few inches before you undo the bow screws. Also, soap the track up with soapy water.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2016, 13:13   #7

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
tubes leak

If it is a new boat why not take it back to the dealer and have them look at it? If not and you have to remove the tubes, it should not take more than a half hour for a even a couple inexperienced guys to remove a tube.
Old 03 February 2016, 19:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoing View Post
If it is a new boat why not take it back to the dealer and have them look at it? If not and you have to remove the tubes, it should not take more than a half hour for a even a couple inexperienced guys to remove a tube.
I live about 1200km from where I bought the boat and don't think it's worth the drive and accomodation while I wait for them to look. I doubt it's a manufacturing fault so would probably be hit with a big bill as 3 guys charging $110 per hour each scratch their heads looking at it

Over here we often travel big distances between towns for certain goods.

Jon
Old 03 February 2016, 19:57   #9

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Slime is no good. I used the internal sealant with good success. If you heard it once then it should be big enough to find. Make sure you are using plenty of soap in the water. I was amazed at the small leaks I could find. You might want to rig something up to push the tubes up to mimic the position in the water. Could be its being pinched off in the trailer position.

Jason
Old 04 February 2016, 10:03   #10

Town: Connecticut
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Undecided
Try isolating the leaking chamber and testing it. Deflate the non leaking chambers and inflate up the leaker and then check with soapy water. It is possible for the baffle to be in a position as the block the leak in some cases. If you fully inflate the leaky chamber it will force the baffle towards the deflated section. Interior sealant is not a permanent fix and much more difficult on the ribs than on a small tender.

Best of luck with it!
www.DinghyPro.net
cgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2016, 12:32   #11

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Don't forget that as its a new boat you might invalidate any warrenty by messing with it yourself . I would talk to the dealer first