Click Here to Login

Old 25 July 2015, 20:46   #1

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
tube carrier drains, (scorpion)

As part of my boats refurb. I had the pleasure to cut the old tubes off this weekend.

My friendly tuber cautioned me about Scorpions suffering from Osmosis in the aft tube carrier sections. I really shouldnt have been surprised to find a small pond behind the port tube, including a slug.

I am lucky as my boat is a vinylester layup and no osmosis, none the less I have overcoated in epoxy and filed imperfections.

While roughing it up I found a small circle indent, out of curiosity I ground it out, and found it was a hole into the outer part of the hull. There is alos one forward, which I havent ground out yet. My previous Scorpion used to leak water from port tube when I pumped up the aft tubes too. Its obviously a common issue.

Question is, do other boats have tube carrier drains, into hull? Can anyone think of a problem with having them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11781777_10153463104400499_4049540391285468483_n.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	107415  
Old 27 July 2015, 13:38   #2

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
Surely if the tubes were glued on properly they would be completely stuck into the carrier and it would be pointless having drain holes in the carrier ?
Old 27 July 2015, 17:49   #3

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley View Post
Surely if the tubes were glued on properly they would be completely stuck into the carrier and it would be pointless having drain holes in the carrier ?
Hi Paul. I agree. I always assume things may fail as my career is based on things failing.

it appears the tubes at the bow were glued fully round but aft just on the little strips that hold them to the hull. My other scorpion that was retubed had a spiral cord on the deck to tube upstand and if the tubes deflated it pulled away from deck upstand. It looked a guarantee fail to me