Old 05 September 2007, 20:45   #1

Town: Emsworth
Length: 6m +
Tube and Water Problems..!

Left my Rib on its pontoon mooring for a couple of weeks whilst I was away and came back to find it almost under water! So much so, the fuel filler cap which is approx 10" above the deck was 4" under water!

After pumping out, I noticed the PVC strip holding the tube to the deck had partially come away from the tube as shown in photo. The tube is completely free from the hull.

So question is this - should the tube be glued to the hull in all places where it is in contact? Also is this the likely source where the water was entering the hull?

Regards

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01966.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	29832  
Old 06 September 2007, 05:58   #2

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
I'm not clear on exactly what you got going there but the tube to hull connection is well above the water line, is it not? Did it rain a foot while you were gone? You say almost underwater...I guess you mean the deck was awash as you couldn't submerge the tubes could you? I've heard of a lot of RIB issues but sinking would be a first, assuming inflated tubes.

Good luck with her. I'd be asking a question or two of the manufacturer were it me to get to the bottom of it (no pun intended)
Old 06 September 2007, 06:25   #3

Town: Melbourne
Make: Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
I'm not clear on exactly what you got going there
Me neither, but here are a few thoughts,

The tubes should be firmly attached all around the hull. That's not a good look you have. Are the glued on, or do you have a guide type attachement?

I'd be pretty sure that's where the water is coming from. Probably waves are getting trapped between the tubes and the hull and forcing the water through - like a blow hole. As the boat settled the hole would be underwater and not drain.

Is there is water in the hull cavity? - that would point to a problem with the hull itself rather than just the tubes, which is more likely IMHO.
Old 06 September 2007, 06:28   #4

The tubes are faily old - almost 8 years. We had had little rain over the past 2 weeks and my thoughts are, the tubes deflated slightly (I have relief valves), and somehow the water creep in, as mor water came in so the boat sank lower.

What I don't understand is whether the tube should be glued to the hull or whether it is just the strip which holds the tube to the hull? I have also been informed that is you try to remove PVC from the hull, delamination occurs?

Anyone know of this??
Old 06 September 2007, 07:52   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
MMSI: 235
on my old boat the tubes were bonded to the hull and then a strip was glued over the bond as a finisher, a quick fix for the rest of the season will be an auto bilge pump to keep it dry , you will need to dry it out over the winter and reglue both joins ,
Old 06 September 2007, 14:41   #6

Quote:
"quick fix for the rest of the season will be an auto bilge pump to keep it dry , you will need to dry it out over the winter and re-glue both joins"
I wish it was a quick fix, however, since my fuel filler cap was underwater, I had water seep into the fuel tank and after using water finding paste on a ruler, I found I have 1cm of water in my fuel tank!!! Am I mad to carefully siphon the water out and leave the fuel in, without removing all the fuel??

My intention is to possibly remove the PVC strip that holds the tube to the hull (from the tube only, so I avoid any delamination problem) and have a good look under the tubes for any defect and then to re glue.

All ideas accepted!!
Old 06 September 2007, 16:33   #7

Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
Am I mad to carefully siphon the water out and leave the fuel in, without removing all the fuel??
YES.

I tried the cheap way after getting water in the fuel and that was in removable tanks. Allowed to stand filtered, siphoned etc. Stupid, stupid waste of time I should have jacked the fuel (it was only 30Lt). End result had to get towed back into harbour as the water overfilled my filters and stopped the engine. Thankfully, I have and older 2 st so new filter and lots of running = no permanent damage. A newer engine and the consequencies can be much worse.

Don't try to be too cute was my lesson learned.

Ian
Old 06 September 2007, 16:49   #8

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
In my experience the only way is the proper way anything else will only bite you in the backside.Good luck.
Old 06 September 2007, 18:53   #9

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'm pretty sure there's a company on the south coast that can suck out and 'clean' your fuel. I think it's intended for getting rid of diesel bug, but I have a feeling they could deal with water in fuel as well.