Old 05 January 2005, 14:51   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Tsunami

I will donate any RIBnet membership subscriptions received in January to The Disasters Emergency Committee, so now would be a great time to upgrade your account! If you are already a paid up member then I will accept early renewals

If you would rather donate directly, there are plenty of organisations that could use your money, several are listed below. How about everyone putting in a tank's worth of petrol money?

Also see the other Tsunami thread for more ideas.

The Disasters Emergency Committee - www.dec.org.uk - is an umbrella group of UK aid organisations - including ActionAid, British Red Cross, Oxfam - working to provide clean water, food and shelter to thousands. To call from the UK dial 0870 60 60 900.

The United Nations World Food Programme - www.wfp.org - is seeking donations to feed victims of the earthquake.

Medecins Sans Frontieres - www.msf.org - is sending aid workers to the region, focusing on medical care for survivors and displaced people after the rescue operations.

The United Nations Children's Fund, Unicef - www.unicef.org.uk - is working to meet the "urgent needs of hundreds of thousands of people" affected by the tsunami disaster.

The UN refugee agency, UNHCR - www.unhcr.ch - which has been helping victims of conflicts in Indonesia and Sri Lanka, is delivering relief supplies to tsunami survivors in both countries.

Save the Children - www.savethechildren.org.uk - has already flown a plane out to Sri Lanka carrying plastic sheeting for temporary shelter, tents to run children's services from, and essentials such as clothing and cooking utensils.

Anti-poverty organisation Care International - www.care.org - has already provided food for thousands of affected people in Sri Lanka.

Cafod, the Catholic Agency for Overseas Development - www.cafod.org.uk - is working with partners across Asia to provide shelter, food aid and medical assistance, and assessing what further relief is needed.

The Red Cross, and its sister charity the Red Crescent, is supplying blankets, cooking utensils and other crucial goods. It has had to set up a new site - www.ifrc.org - because of the unprecedented demand from people wanting to make donations.

The Hindu Forum Disaster Relief Task Force - www.hinduforum.org - comprises 50 organisations and is raising money, clothes and medicines. Donations can be made online or by calling the ISKCON Disaster Appeal on 01923 856848 or Sewa International on 0116 261 0303.

Christian Aid - www.christianaid.org.uk - has already allocated £250,000 from its emergency fund to help the victims of this disaster but says more money is needed.

Christian charity Tearfund - www.tearfund.org - and its partners in Sri Lanka and India are helping devastated fishing communities and coastal villages get back on their feet.

Islamic Relief - www.islamic-relief.com - has also launched an appeal to provide medical supplies, tents and sanitation facilities for those affected.

The Islamic Aid Emergency Relief Fund - www.islamicaid.org.uk - aims to provide immediate relief and long-term support to people in the affected areas.

Another Islamic charity, Muslim Hands - www.muslimhands.org- is collecting money and sending volunteers to help in Indonesia and Malaysia.

Medair - www.medair.org - is providing emergency support to agencies with a long term presence in Sri Lanka and its medical experts are assessing the likelihood of malaria and diarrhoea.

World Vision - www.worldvision.org.uk - has also launched an appeal and has already delivered relief goods to thousands.

Concern - www.concern.net - is working with local partners to meet the needs of families in the devastated coastal villages of Tamil Nadu, the worst affected state in India.

The International Rescue Committee - www.theirc.org - is providing emergency supplies and materials to "people most affected by the crisis".

The Salvation Army - www.salvationarmy.org.uk has local teams working in a number of affected areas and is sending a team from its international headquarters on Wednesday evening.

Muslim Aid - www.muslimaid.org - has already donated £100,000 towards the purchase of food, clothing and medicine in the region but wants to raise more.

Action Aid - www.actionaid.org - is the biggest charity working in south India. It is focusing its relief work on the coast of Tamil Nadu, where 7,000 people died. It is working on providing medical assistance and sanitation for the survivors.

Asia Quake Relief Appeal UK, a UK-based Sri Lankan organisation, is also raising money and can be emailed at asia-quakerelief@europe.com
Old 05 January 2005, 15:23   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Well done John,
very generous gesture!
Nick Gold member!
Old 05 January 2005, 19:55   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Superb personal generosity JK. Excellent leadership as always.

We'll certainly renew asap. Good for you.

Us
Old 06 January 2005, 01:01   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Missus

you could up grade to Platinum mebership and get a bigger Mailbox for your generosity
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2005, 06:18   #5

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
you could up grade to Platinum mebership and get a bigger Mailbox for your generosity
You beat me to it Stu, That's a good idea.

It would save me clearing out the pms.

But I'll throw out one or two anyways. Sorry.

missus
Old 07 January 2005, 07:46   #6
Administrator

£210 so far . . .

Edit: Actually it's £240 now

John
Old 19 January 2005, 11:18   #7
Administrator

Latest total £570

Any more?

John
Old 21 January 2005, 12:59   #8

Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
While I have seen a number of pictures of the Tsunami, I've not seen anything like this one.

It was taken by a client of my tour operator daughter from a hotel in Indonesia, they survived
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tsunami.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	10127  
Old 21 January 2005, 13:13   #9

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson
While I have seen a number of pictures of the Tsunami, I've not seen anything like this one.

It was taken by a client of my tour operator daughter from a hotel in Indonesia, they survived
I’m not questioning its authenticity but it doesn’t look real Measured against the block of flats in the fore ground, which is 20 stores high, it makes the wave 180feet heigh can that be right

Des
Old 21 January 2005, 14:08   #10

Town: Newfoundland
I am questioning the authenticity of the photo, 'cos its obviously false!
http://www.snopes.com/photos/tsunami/tsunami2.asp confirms it.

Good job on the subscriptions JK btw. There are a couple of benefit concerts here in St. John's tonight, its still a big story here in Canada with a lot of fund raising going on.
Old 21 January 2005, 14:19   #11

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Wow........

........that picture frightened the life out of me. At a secong look it's obvious it's a fake. Alan's investigative research confirms the same. Well done Al'. It's a pity these fellows who put so much time into making these things, don't devote their obvious talents to something constructive.
Old 21 January 2005, 14:29   #12

Town: Brittany
Whoops, bollocking gone to daughter.
Old 01 February 2005, 17:47   #13

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
I know there are a few snappers out there.
If anyone is thinking of buying any gear in the near future...have a look here....

http://www.ybw.com/forums/postlist.p...ard/wdctsunami

or here.....

www.whatdigitalcamera.com/auctions

It is an online auction for loads of gear donated by suppliers and manufacturers.

Bottom line is if you are buying anyway why not buy in a way that will benefit someone that needs it. (seems pretty logical)

It is being organised by the magazine What Digital Camera.
Worth a look. maybe bag a bargain

Yes I have put a bid in on something.

Robin
Old 02 February 2005, 11:32   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Thompson
Whoops, bollocking gone to daughter.
You can also blame hollywood and the media in general - the BBC showed a computer simulation of what happens when such a wave hits - it was totally out of scale - their wave was about 100' high - in reality the wave or better still the ground swell that did the damage - was in most places about 8' high.

Now an 8' wave may not seem much but when some of these places are so flat that is all it takes to cause mayhem.
Old 24 February 2005, 10:34   #15

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Update on the relief work in Sri Lanka...

Hi,
I posted on the site about a month ago just before we sailed to go to Sri Lanka to undertake relief work. I am a deck officer and have just left RFA Diligence. We were out with HMS Chatham in a place called Batticolla on the Eastern side of Sri Lanka. We had a 36 ft workboat designed for river/ calm waters going through 3 metre swell into a little channel witht he swell coming directly astern. The engine only worked up to half throttle and we carried 40 people ashore at a time.. so not the most manouvreable of boats to drive..
We arrived into the lagoon.. and then went up before taking the boat to the closest village. Most of the work carried out was pumping out wells, fixing fishing boats and getting them floated off and doing clearence and building work. We were all doing 17 hour days for a week to try and get as much done as possible but still that was only in 1 place.. you could have spent the next year there soughting things out.. It was only a token flag flying exercise really.. I am going to upload some pictures in the gallery at some point. We ended up with 40 locals clambering over our boat at one point.. so our lunches got divided out that day..
One story that was dramatic...
There was an orphanage on the seaward side of the spit. All the children were in the classroom except for 1 naughty boy who had been sent off and had run down to the beach. He was looking out to sea and saw a huge wave coming in.. He went back and called to the pastor... All the children and Pastor climbed into a 20 ft open boat with a 9.9hp on the back.(I have seen the boat!!) and then the wave hit.. they all prayed and the wave piked up the boat and lifted it.. holding it up but not throwing it as it did with the others. The water then went down again and they ended up back where they started... The orphanage other than being filled with sand and a few broken windows was untouched.. whilst all around the buildings had been flattened.. On that spit 75% of the population were killed.. Whilst we were there they pulled another body out the water. We chatted to one fisherman and he had lost 13 members of his family instantly.
There was so much devastation. We did what we could, but unfortunately the UK govt had other plans for the ship and after a week we moved on. Not until you see something first hand as that do you realise that we are so lucky..
I shall endevour to upload the photos..
Alex
Old 01 March 2005, 09:31   #16

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
Photos..

Unfortunately the photos of the tsunami relief I have are all too big to upload onto the system.. So if anyone has any info on how to compress them.. that would be great!!
Old 01 March 2005, 21:23   #17
Administrator

The total raised was £740 -- not bad I reckon!

I had initially planned for the money to go to the Tsunami fund, but with the massive public response to this disaster it seems that other areas are now more urgently in need. Oxfam has declared that its work in the area is fully funded, the Red Cross are now concentrating on relief for the Sudan, and the DEC have now restarted the Sudan appeal and are now giving it priority.

Having consulted with everyone who contributed, the money has been split between the Tsunami and Sudan appeals.

Thanks

John