Old 04 March 2002, 17:34   #21

Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Hi Guys

These weekends are OK for me.

Fuel - I have a built in Tank that holds 130 Litres, then I have 2 Auxilary Tanks that hold 22 Litres Each and connect direct to my engine.

If anyone needs additional fuel carriers I also have another 4 Plastic fuel Carriers that hold 22 litres each.

As for range - I have no idea yet - but in theory I can go well over the 100 miles without refuelling - so we should be OK. I will have much more experience of my range by then anyway.

I have also pencilled in the Lundy trip - looks good to me.
Old 07 March 2002, 10:17   #22

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: Puffling
Make: Avon Rover 3.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 15hp
Send a message via MSN to badbaws
If my boat is not still playing playing up then is there room for another, only a 4metre Searider though... Range from fuel would be a limit for launching for me... probably best range would be about 60 miles in one hit...
boat is being repaired at present though and they can't seem to cure the engine as of yet...
Sounds good and would be willing to go if I am not away at sea by then.
Alex
Old 07 March 2002, 17:46   #23
JCW

Town: Essex
Boat name: Inflatable
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Yamaha F6
Send a message via AIM to JCW
Alex,
Given your range you will need to get Fuel at St Marys. Look back in this thread to understand what that entails.
It would be wise to have and idea of your worst case fuel consumption and still plan to have some in reserve, so you may be pushing it a bit.

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 March 2002, 18:40   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Always remember Alex, that one of the major strengths about cruising together is that there will be other boats with you IF there is a problem. For example it may be possible, with planning, for some of your fuel to be carried on another boat. THIS DOES NOT MEAN that you shouldn't plan for a worst case scenario and simply LEAN on your mates, but it can give you a security fall back option if the worst, worst case happens.
For instance, I carry a spare small 2-stroke and about 10l of petrol mix, as standard. This just might help someone out of trouble. Anyway whats 2 or 3 quid extra for Scillies fuel to save you looking a prat off the Wolf Rock lighthouse when you run out of jippy?
Old 08 March 2002, 21:05   #25

Town: Newfoundland
Brian has a good point..........

Plan to refuel in the Scillies - even if you don't completely flll up. First time I went there (trip I met Brian on) John the skipper of Blue Ice the RIB I was on decided that we had enough fuel not to bother refuelling but I convinced him it would be the prudent thing to do. We set off in calm conditions that rapidly worsened in an F6 or so. Fuel burned per mile under those conditions dramatically increases as you are working the throttle much more for a good/safe ride. Not saying we would have run out had we not refuelled but it might have been close - say if we'd had to stooge around assisting another boat etc etc.

Take plenty of fuel from the mainland for sure. Be aware that the more weight (in terms of extra fuel) you carry of course the more fuel you''ll burn. But arrange for 50l say in the Scillies. Saves looking embarrased as the lifeboat tows you back into port!

Sermon endeth here!

Alan W
Old 09 March 2002, 21:40   #26

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Maybe a bit early for you guys, but .....

The Pride of Bristol (Corporate BIBOA member ) is planning a trip to the Scillys on 25 May - 1 June from Bristol - and I'm going!!

(I don't know exactly which days we will be down there - but I will keep you posted)
Old 16 March 2002, 06:57   #27

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Fuel

Mornin

After my problems at the Thames Cruz, i'm now sorted. Got rather high with me head in the bow locker running fuel line between me tubes and the hull.

I'v now got 25 litres up front, 2 x 25 litres in the aft locker and more on deck if i need it. I think 75 litres will get me to scilly isles and back???? but will be doing some longer runs before then.

I used £8.47 worth at the thames cruz (11 Litres) .
Old 16 March 2002, 08:41   #28
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
Jahno
You used 11litres on the Thames Cruz.
How many nmiles did you cover and/or what is your average fuel consumption in l/nmile.
At first guess 75l should be ample for and out and back run, BUT I assume you want to explore the islands while your there? The tootling about can add up as the islands resound with the cries of small boaters saying "Oh look at that, lets just go over there and get a closer look" and "lets go round the other side of this island and see...." etc etc. All these miles add up.
I get the impression sometimes reading this thread that everyone is panicking about Scillies petrol.
Dont be frightened of taking on some fuel there. Dave Sibley is a lovely man and everybody is very helpful. And refueling there is all part of lifes rich panoply.
Old 16 March 2002, 09:01   #29

Jono

Spurred on by you I have topped off my tanks. They took 16 Litres - though that was to the click on the fuel filler - and before I had topped off from a jerry can - so not particularly accurate - but I would guess it is probably more than less - if you see what I mean.

I am amazed at that - I thought she would have used a lot more - we did quite a lot of turning back, recovering the ground, and mainly at high speeds.

I have 130 litres onboard in the built in tank, plus 2 x 22 litre Plastimo tanks with full fittings that sit in the stern, which have the advantage that you dont have to mess about with funnels or filling tanks etc, as you just unplug the min line and plug these in. I also have 2 more plastic jerry cans that hold 20 litres each and have a spout that fits away inide the filler, and 3 of the usual green 5 litre cans.

I wouldn't want to take all of these with me to be honest - but should be able to take enough for safety.

However, I agree wth Brian, in that we ougt to arrange for around 40 litres or so each in the Scillies - just in case. I guess you never know what the weather will do on the return trip - and that extra few litres could make all the difference.

Graeme
Old 16 March 2002, 16:03   #30
JCW

Sounds like the fuel situation is not that bad then, I was not worried by the cost of the fuel, just the climb up the harbour wall. I believe there are some steps so that will be ok.
May revert to my original plan. Depart from Helford river and refuel at St Marys and meet at Penzance.
We can talk detail nearer the time!!

Best Regards

Jason
Old 16 March 2002, 17:54   #31

Jason

Sounds like a plan to me - lets go for it

As you say - we can sort out details nearer the time but the date is in my diary.

Graeme
Old 17 March 2002, 23:34   #32

Town: Bucks/Cardigan Bay
Make: Osprey Viper
Scilly Isles

Could be interested in this one, any dates yet?

K.
Old 18 March 2002, 07:18   #33

Aladdin

We have arranged 2 dates - first the weekend of 29/30 June, with a backup of 6/7 July if the weather is bad for the first weekend

Graeme
Old 24 May 2002, 21:11   #34
JCW

Campsite details in St Marys

For those of you still interested, there are vacancies at a campsite on St Mary’s. Cost is about £6.20 per person per night.
It is about a 10 min walk from the quayside. Transport can also be arranged via the campsite for a small fee.
For further details contact Tedmoulson@cs.com

Let me know by early next week who will wants to camp and I will reserve places for Sat 29th June, and Sat 6th July (Fallback date).

JCW
JCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2002, 13:00   #35

Town: Devon
Make: Avon
Engine: 90 mariner
If you anyone cant make those dates, I and I think 2 other ribs and two Things with Rags and Sticks will be going over on the 27th July.

Please feel free to join us.

Russ.
Old 26 May 2002, 17:12   #36

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Can I come too. I'd like to take my Avon 4.7, sound a hoot......wheres Cornwall?
Old 26 May 2002, 19:26   #37

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.55
Engine: Honda 130
Hi all

I do not think I will be able to make this one as I have a wedding to go to (not mine !!!) The parking and launching at penzants is no problem very good wide silp into harbour. Watch out for a very nasty rock near Lamorna cove as it is quite a way offshore and only just breaks the surface. Hope it all goes well and look foreward to the picks.

John.
Old 30 May 2002, 07:59   #38

Jason

As we are now joining the BIBOA crew on the passage - do you have times etc whn you will be at various points? Also, are you pulling into Penzance, or are we meeting offshore?

KR

G
Old 30 May 2002, 08:31   #39
RIBnet supporter

RIBase
My current plan is as follows:
I will leave Torquay 06.30-07.00
Call in at Plymouth (The Breakwater?) around 08.30-meet Vernon and Robert
On to Falmouth (St. Mawes steps) around 11.00-pick up Mike and Di Garside
Go out to either Helford river or Manacles bouy-meet Jason
Go round Lizard-meet Graham ?
Then 2 choices-obvious route is Runnel Stone/Longships-ish/St. Marys
or perhaps more interesting-Wolf Rock/St. Marys. If you like the later idea Graham, would you meet us off the Lizard around 11.15-11.30? we can then "Cut the corner off" and go straight out. Let me know what you think.

Sorry-off to Hebrides now in "Cyanide" on the BIBOA "Islands in the Stream Cruise" for 2 weeks. Will come back on and read your comments around mid June.
Old 30 May 2002, 16:57   #40

Brian

It would seem to be a bit off course to meet you off the Lizard from Penzance.

We will do Runnel Stone, Wolf's Rock, and aim to meet you either off of Wolf's Rock around 1200 - 1230 ish, or somewhere en route between Lizard and the Rock. Do you have a working channel, or just 16?

Our exact ETA at the Rock will depend on launch times - as the slip at Penzance is only available at half tidal range.

G