Old 12 January 2017, 21:38   #1

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Trip to inchkeith

Heres a wee video of our trip out in the forth during xmas holidays https://youtu.be/jr-OO2P4KGE
Old 12 January 2017, 23:33   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Breezeblock - has the youngster at the front with the Lloyds Register BA ever tried it in the water?
Old 13 January 2017, 05:37   #3

RIBase
I presume so thats what he uses for canoeing
Old 13 January 2017, 07:05   #4
JB7

Length: 5m +
[emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji3] [emoji106]
Old 13 January 2017, 08:28   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
nice one
Old 13 January 2017, 08:53   #6

I have video of same day but not worth editing as I couldn't be bothered setting up the old action cam. It is amazing how much a camera smooths out the seas. It was circa 3ft waves i guess.
Old 13 January 2017, 15:36   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
I have video of same day but not worth editing as I couldn't be bothered setting up the old action cam. It is amazing how much a camera smooths out the seas. It was circa 3ft waves i guess.
it looks like nothing on the camera but it was a fair chop the turning point was when the waves were coming over the harbour wall
Old 13 January 2017, 16:49   #8

Look at my Ireland video, was mental in places. Must have been 6ft at times, camera doesn't show it really though.
Old 13 January 2017, 18:09   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D View Post
Look at my Ireland video, was mental in places. Must have been 6ft at times, camera doesn't show it really though.
it looks flat until you see John almost airborne at the side
Old 13 January 2017, 18:30   #10

he was in the air a LOT on the way home, cracking couple of days.
Old 13 January 2017, 19:55   #11

RIBase
how much fuel do you carry spare on these trips
Old 13 January 2017, 20:26   #12

I usually have 200 litres in my boat
Old 14 January 2017, 12:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Breezeblock - has the youngster at the front with the Lloyds Register BA ever tried it in the water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
I presume so thats what he uses for canoeing
Well it doesn't fit/isn't fitted correctly. So I presume not! Difference is I'm a forum basher not the skipper of a boat so I can justify presuming. What's your excuse?
Have you tried lifting him by the shoulder straps. You should be able to lift him off the ground and his chin still be above the top of the buoyancy aid. I'm not even convinced it is just sat there!

Quote:
how much fuel do you carry spare on these trips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xk59D
I usually have 200 litres in my boat
God I must be in a bad mood today...

Thats not an answer to the question! How many litres do you expect to use? How many did you use? I realise thats well below 200litres. What breezeblock was presumably asking was not did you carry £250 of fuel but what you would feel comfortable with as spare. So if you turned up with only 50litres having been on a bit of a ribbing frenzie would you insist on filling up before you go out? Do you use a rule of thumb - fuel required plus 10, 20, ... 25%?

Do you carry any separate fuel in case of contamination issues?

I think some of this depends on things like how certain you are on your consumption, How certain you are you have 50litres on board etc. So if you could say you consistently use 1litre +/- 10% per NM you should factor on 1.1l/NM and then some contingency fuel. The contingency needs to factor in if you can divert to a safe haven, and would ideally be fuel from furthest point to safe haven at safe but not max speed. But thats not always practical...
Old 14 January 2017, 12:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Well it doesn't fit/isn't fitted correctly. So I presume not! Difference is I'm a forum basher not the skipper of a boat so I can justify presuming. What's your excuse?
Have you tried lifting him by the shoulder straps. You should be able to lift him off the ground and his chin still be above the top of the buoyancy aid. I'm not even convinced it is just sat there!

Thats not an answer to the question! How many litres do you expect to use? How many did you use? I realise thats well below 200litres. What breezeblock was presumably asking was not did you carry £250 of fuel but what you would feel comfortable with as spare. So if you turned up with only 50litres having been on a bit of a ribbing frenzie would you insist on filling up before you go out? Do you use a rule of thumb - fuel required plus 10, 20, ... 25%?

I think some of this depends on things like how certain you are on your consumption, How certain you are you have 50litres on board etc. So if you could say you consistently use 1litre +/- 10% per NM you should factor on 1.1l/NM and then some contingency fuel. The contingency needs to factor in if you can divert to a safe haven, and would ideally be fuel from furthest point to safe haven at safe but not max speed. But thats not always practical...
Geez, get off the high horse

This is all statute miles......

Since we are getting into specifics I use 0.8lpm normally, as it was rough I used about 1. 1lpm. As we left from Stranraer to Bangor it isn't the shortest route but the safest all things considered at time. I can't mind how far it was but I think circa 40 miles and I burned about 80-90 litres from memory there and back.

So, I had over 100 litres spare but I always fill my boat to brim no matter where I'm going.

I never carry jerry cans no unless it is for the 8hp 2stroke aux.

If fuel gets contaminated it will be LT towing me in or my aux if alone obviously. My hoses are hard wired in so not too easy to swap over anyway. I have had bad fuel before about 18 months ago but it happened about 1 mile from harbour so poodled back in on aux.

I know my boat has a 225l tank but I set the chart plotters up for 200l so I have 25l buffer built in for fuel flow inaccuracy over nmea engine data, it is usually about 5% max off being correct though.

When myself and LT are out we normally do about 80 miles but we have done about 120 a few times. In other words not enough to worry the 200l I have.

If I was going to go somewhere and be tight on fuel I would keep in mind I have 25l not on my GPS for utter emergency and a normal reserve of 20%

Phew........ Happy?
Old 14 January 2017, 13:07   #15

Thank you - much more informative.

While I follow the logic of always being full to the brim on fuel - you ever tried to compare stats to see what the extra 100kg of weight does to your range?
Old 14 January 2017, 13:36   #16

Boat is 1600kg with no people on it, the fuel burn is same 0.8-0.9lpm at start of day as it is at the end so it doesn't make enough difference to make it worth the trips to station with a Jerry can to top up more often.
Old 14 January 2017, 15:57   #17

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post

must be great being fault free
Old 14 January 2017, 16:25   #18

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
must be great being fault free

[emoji106][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 14 January 2017, 16:43   #19

RIBase
I was going to put up a post enquiring where I could get non spill bottle holders for the boat but seeing as the traffic wardens are out I wont bother
Old 14 January 2017, 17:01   #20

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
I was going to put up a post enquiring where I could get non spill bottle holders for the boat but seeing as the traffic wardens are out I wont bother

Never mind him you post what you want as long as it's within the rules. He's got to much time on his hands!!
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote