Old 19 July 2015, 18:03   #1

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
Trim tabs?

So I think it's time for trim tabs on the 7m. With the big single I get some serious lean and people get tired of being moved around as ballast. It would be one less thing to think about and going really fast with a bit of a lean is not comforting. There seem to be two big brands, any significant difference between them? Bennett and Lenco?

How big do I need? I have to go measure what I have room for so that might narrow it down.

What's involved for install? Do they "just screw in" or do I need to thru bolt the mounting? Holes thru the transom for hoses or wires?

Thanks
Jason
Old 19 July 2015, 18:14   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Bennets are hydraulic & I think Lenco are electric our bennets are through bolted & the hydraulic pump is inside the boat with the hoses through the transom
It's not just a case of one thing less to think about though it's actually someting else to think of ours are fitted to a cruiser which tends to lean into a side wind which takes a bit of input to keep it level as the wind angle changes with course changes
Maybe different with a rib
It might be worth looking at alternative props as some props claim to help the prop torque lean
Old 19 July 2015, 19:19   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
I've got Lectrotabs on BP. Raising the engine helped greatly with the lean, but the tabs allow me to get perfect trim, especially in a beam sea. They also allow you to keep on the plane easier in rough head sea conditions. Takes about 1/2 a day to fit. They screw straight to the transom, with woods crews/ self tappers. I think my tabs are 8x12".

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 19:22   #4

Town: CA
Make: Zodiac RIB-P
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 250
The difference is the 30lbs of having my son or my wife on one side or the other. Not anything worth doing with props. I can adjust it with people or even me moving a foot or so to a side at the helm but it would be nice not to. Yesterday we came home and they switched places and so we were listing a bit but we were doing 40 mph (15gph @4900rpm) so it made for a couple hops where I was thinking about the landing.

Jason
Old 19 July 2015, 20:50   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Lencos have always worked well for us. I would go for a 12" wide tab that come 9" out from the transom. Easy to fit with no hydraulic hoses to worry about just two twin wires that go from the tabs back to the console. Its worth getting the LED Indicator switch so you can see the position they are set in.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 21:31   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Lencos have always worked well for us. I would go for a 12" wide tab that come 9" out from the transom. Easy to fit with no hydraulic hoses to worry about just two twin wires that go from the tabs back to the console. Its worth getting the LED Indicator switch so you can see the position they are set in.

They were showing the new Bennet trim tabs off at Seaworks, they've gone away from hydraulic & brought out an electric version.

.....sh1t happens.......
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 07:48   #7

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Trim tabs (like a lot of Boating add on's) are not essential....But once you've got em ....nice to have!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote