Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 27 November 2020, 12:18   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Transom ladder projects below hull

I want to fit a narrow transom ladder. A stainless steel fold up bolted on type. I've measured the transom and when the ladder is fitted and folded up, one of the legs, nearest the tube, will project down below the bottom of the hull by about 25mm. Because the hull has a slight V shape.

Im hoping this doesn't turn out to be a daft question and embarrass myself

Do any of you think this might be a problem please?
__________________

__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 13:02   #2
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,118
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
I want to fit a narrow transom ladder. A stainless steel fold up bolted on type. I've measured the transom and when the ladder is fitted and folded up, one of the legs, nearest the tube, will project down below the bottom of the hull by about 25mm. Because the hull has a slight V shape.



Im hoping this doesn't turn out to be a daft question and embarrass myself



Do any of you think this might be a problem please?


Drag wise it shouldnít be a problem. What you might get, is spray thrown up from where itís in contact with the wake. Is it near any transducers, speed, sonar etc? If so it may cause issues. Is there no way to raise the ladder or alter the leg to eliminate the fouling? Have you checked it wonít foul the engine in all trim/tilt/lock to lock positions?
__________________

__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 13:21   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Drag wise it shouldnít be a problem. What you might get, is spray thrown up from where itís in contact with the wake. Is it near any transducers, speed, sonar etc? If so it may cause issues. Is there no way to raise the ladder or alter the leg to eliminate the fouling? Have you checked it wonít foul the engine in all trim/tilt/lock to lock positions?
Thank you Dave. I might be able to alter it. But I won't really know until I've bought it. There's only so much you can glean from a photo. I'm planning on fitting a transducer but on the other side of the outboard. I've asked the seller for the distance it stands off the transom so I can check it doesnt interfere with the outboard in anyway, as you say.
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 13:37   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 139
RIBase
Why not try a different ladder, I used this on my Zodiac:


https://www.batsystem.se/en/products/but32/
__________________
_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 17:47   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,050
Any link to a pic of the item?
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 18:04   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
Why not try a different ladder, I used this on my Zodiac:


https://www.batsystem.se/en/products/but32/
Thank you. The link doesn't seem to work? Can you help please?
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 18:09   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 139
RIBase
Sure, try this https://www.batsystem.se/en/products/but32/
__________________
_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 18:31   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
thank you. I assume it folds up and you can secure it against the A frame.
Are the pads stuck to the transom or the ladder please?
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 18:38   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 139
RIBase
This is the smaller version, but the pic shows the triangular bracket which bolts to the transom. The ladder rotates about the top bar and canbe swung up over the transom. It's a simple design and worked well.

When I changed boats I fitted another Batsystems ladder - quality gear.

__________________
_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 20:25   #10
Member
 
Pikey Dave's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,118
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
Thank you Dave. I might be able to alter it. But I won't really know until I've bought it. There's only so much you can glean from a photo. I'm planning on fitting a transducer but on the other side of the outboard. I've asked the seller for the distance it stands off the transom so I can check it doesnt interfere with the outboard in anyway, as you say.



How often are you planning to enter/exit the water via the ladder? It may be more trouble than itís worth. I made a ladder to hang over the side of the tube for the rare occasions that we swim off the boat. If youíre intending to add a sounder transducer, these fit on the Stbd side of the transom (assuming you have a conventional rh rotation prop) so the ladder will need to go on the port side. Thereís more than one way to skin a cat. look at the individual flip up steps.

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/stainle...xoC_xkQAvD_BwE
__________________
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 20:34   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
How often are you planning to enter/exit the water via the ladder? It may be more trouble than itís worth. I made a ladder to hang over the side of the tube for the rare occasions that we swim off the boat. If youíre intending to add a sounder transducer, these fit on the Stbd side of the transom (assuming you have a conventional rh rotation prop) so the ladder will need to go on the port side. Thereís more than one way to skin a cat. look at the individual flip up steps.

https://www.gsproducts.co.uk/stainle...xoC_xkQAvD_BwE
Thank you. Thd link doesn't work for me. Can you help please?
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 20:35   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by _monkey View Post
This is the smaller version, but the pic shows the triangular bracket which bolts to the transom. The ladder rotates about the top bar and canbe swung up over the transom. It's a simple design and worked well.

When I changed boats I fitted another Batsystems ladder - quality gear.

Thank you. Really helpful and grateful for the recommendation.
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 01:51   #13
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uh Oh View Post
Thank you. Thd link doesn't work for me. Can you help please?
i have a flip up step ideal for where space is limited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20201026_131921.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	135692   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20201010_174254.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	135693   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_20201010_174244.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	135694  
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 02:19   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 449
Have you used that flip up step to actually get in/on the boat from the water. Unless there is a foot step below the hull unless you are very thin and fit it is very difficult getting on. That is why ladders flip down.
__________________
smallribber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 03:48   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dartmoor
Boat name: Spirit of Adventure
Make: Brig
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50Hp Suzuki
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i have a flip up step ideal for where space is limited
Thank you. Given my age and agility I think I might struggle with that. But I like it as its so neat and unobtrusive.
__________________
Uh Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 05:17   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,447
RIBase
£60 from marine scene if that helps there is one i think four step folds vertical if you need it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LADDER 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	135695   Click image for larger version

Name:	LADDER FULLY DEPLOYED.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	135696  
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 08:47   #17
Member
 
beerbelly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,256
i find ladders to be awkward to use as they usually try to go under the boat when you put any weight on them with the flip step the idea is left foot on the av plate and then right foot on the step grab the pole and step up. not tried it yet time will tell
__________________
beerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:12   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 139
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
i find ladders to be awkward to use as they usually try to go under the boat when you put any weight on them with the flip step the idea is left foot on the av plate and then right foot on the step grab the pole and step up. not tried it yet time will tell
Agreed that the type which go under the boat should be avoided.

I found that the ss flip up steps are OK for emergency use, but not great if you need to exit the water via the transom on a regular basis. They are a standard fit on Ballistics and I replaced with a traditional ladder because I expected it to get lots of use.

If transom space is limited, has the OP considered the type attached to the tubes?
__________________
_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 10:19   #19
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,050
As per jeffstevens post. This on my dory.
8" wide.

In the last pic with it up you may have issues with it limiting the movement of the engine. I have a good 8" clearance between ladder & engine with engine on full lock. It sticks out about 11" in this position.
The bungee is to hold the support/stand-off legs up - you could probably achieve the same by nipping up their bolts a bit more.

I normally run with it folded in half as in pic 2. Bottom is just above the bottom of the hull. Folded in half highest (top of its bracket bolted to transom) to lowest point is 12".
(the white bit you can see on the anti-foul is where the fishfinder transponder fits. I take it off & use it on Rutland & Pitsford hire boats during the autumn/winter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201128_145153.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	135697   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201128_145202.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	135698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201128_144446.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	135699  
__________________
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 12:28   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,447
RIBase
As paintman says I nipped the bolts up stays where you want it I too put a bungee on just in case
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.