Old 27 January 2012, 19:00   #1

Trailer bearings

How often should you change wheel bearings? I changed mine on my indespension trailer last July when I towed my boat on a 300 mile round journey, it only went in the water 2 times. I use a crane normally to launch the boat so the trailer has sat since. Will I need to change bearings for a 100 mile journey or should they be ok? Is there anyway I can check them?
Old 27 January 2012, 19:27   #2

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Altea 2
Make: Narwhal
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 Mariner
should be fine, but you need to check them. easiest way to do this:

jack the wheel off the floor

grab the wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock (remember your driving lessons?!) and give it a good twist / shake. There should be no discernable play.

Spin the wheel in a forward rotation. If it rumbles noticeably (not brakes touching the inside drum face, if it is braked) then they may need replacing.

If you get any of the above then strip them down, clean them out, inspect them and, providing they're ok, re-pack them and put it all back together.

Your bearings shouldn't have gone, as they've not travelled very far, but it's likely they'll need re-packing and adjusting.

Any questions, post them up. Good luck.
Trailer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2012, 19:35   #3

That's great, thank you
Old 07 April 2012, 04:57   #4

I moved my trailer the other day and could hear the brakes, is there anything I can do with out taken hub off as I have the water proof bearings (not sure if that's correct name!) and don't want to break the seal. Also as its hardly done any mile and only been in the water couple times having waterproof seals should help shouldn't it? Sorry for all questions but had a wheel come off a trailer before so I'm over the top when it comes to bearings!

Cheers