Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 05 July 2012, 18:28   #1
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
Tragic - 3 children dead as boat capsizes

Authorities are still trying to work out what could have caused a 34ft motor boat to capsize, it had 27 people on board watching a fireworks display, only a few recovered from the water had life jackets on, police stated that it was mandatory for each person to have a life jacket but I don't know how that relates to the US version of the manufacturers plate stating maximum persons and weight on vessels. The three children that dies were down below in the vessel.

A reminder to all about safety at sea, I have my own views as to what may have happened as no doubt most of you will, but it would not be right to jump to conclusions while an investigation is underway. With Cowes fireworks coming up these type of incidents certainly make us more aware.

RIP the children who would have had no say in the events that lead to this tragedy and their deaths.

Long Island yacht tragedy: Three children dead and 24 pulled from water as revellers watch July 4 fireworks | Mail Online

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, but my intentions were to alert others and prevent similar tragedies.
Old 05 July 2012, 18:55   #2

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
It's always tragic when children lose there lives and not just while boating. Mobile phone chargers left plugged in have been the cause of house fires that have resulted in deaths of children also smoking etc. They are accidents and they are all preventable with a little thought and common sense, although common sense is not so common any more.
Old 05 July 2012, 19:21   #3

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
im with you on that one steve
Old 05 July 2012, 20:00   #4

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Massively overloaded, around here they would have been stopped by the police in that condition...

Its a legal requirement that there needs to be one life jacket for every person on board, but adults are not obligated to wear them. Children under 15yo are obligated to wear life jackets in smaller vessels in most states. The definition of smaller varies by state a little bit. Here, children are also exempt from wearing life jackets if they are in a cabin. I am not sure about NY.
Old 05 July 2012, 20:28   #5

Town: Northport
Boat name: Zazu
Make: Nautica
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboard
"Its a legal requirement that there needs to be one life jacket for every person on board, but adults are not obligated to wear them. Children under 15yo are obligated to wear life jackets in smaller vessels in most states. Here, children are also exempt from wearing life jackets if they are in a cabin. I am not sure about NY."

The requirements are the same here in NY as you posted.This was an early model 34 Silverton that was grossly overloaded operating at night.
All the police in the world would not likely have detected this on July 4th with the 300+ other boats headed out to see the local Fireworlks display.
This is the harbor we boat out of every week and it is too crowded on the 4th to handle a boat by boat inspection.
Please - use common sense so we do not see any other tragic loss of life.
Old 05 July 2012, 23:38   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnjack View Post
Its a legal requirement that there needs to be one life jacket for every person on board, but adults are not obligated to wear them. Children under 15yo are obligated to wear life jackets in smaller vessels in most states.
12 in California, I think.

Standing rule is 16 and under wear PFD's on my boat. Adults are handed jackets; they can wear them or not (divers are exempt from that, as they're with me most of the time, and understand the risks, and know where they're kept.)

jky