Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 August 2021, 20:49   #21

Town: Surrey/Cornwall
Make: Gemini GRX 420
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu D2 50Hp
I find the current rules irritating that I can only tow 750kgs with a Disco 4, but a friend could tow over double with something like an Audi A4.

As said above, which is safer! But as this is about licensing, either everyone should need a licence, or no one should. So the grandfather rights should be scrapped and everyone should have to do a test.
Old 17 August 2021, 21:04   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThundercatRob View Post
As said above, which is safer! But as this is about licensing, either everyone should need a licence, or no one should. So the grandfather rights should be scrapped and everyone should have to do a test.

Everyone does need a license - that’s why pre97 license holders have grandfather rights.
Old 19 August 2021, 08:40   #23

Quote:
I find the current rules irritating that I can only tow 750kgs with a Disco 4, but a friend could tow over double with something like an Audi A4.

The key here though is that you would have chosen to buy the Disco in full knowledge of what you could legally tow and knowing that 750kg was all you needed. As such, in your case, it's a non issue.

It's more of an issue for the people who don't bother finding out what they can and can't do before buying their cars or kit but these are the exact people who are showing that they need to be tested as they aren't really paying attention.

So it all works pretty well especially as someone who has the money to potter about in 2.5 ton SUVs burning fuel can easily afford the cost of the test.

I suspect the review is just to check if the general rules, 25 years on from their change, need any tinkering and it seems more likely that there will be a tightening of the rules as that's what the loudest people generally demand, that everyone else is more regulated.

A logical change may transpire to be to remove the 3.5 ton limit from the post 97 exemptions and just have it so that anything more than 750kg requires a test? Something that probably makes sense to change for everyone given the caravan carnage these days where people clearly haven't bothered to teach themselves how to drive or what the rules are.

And that's the general problem for boat owners, that the review is mostly about people towing caravans and horses as you don't usually see people towing boats or cars getting stuck or doing 30 on the A303 with over 300 cars trapped behind them for miles and refusing to pull over. As was my great pleasure to witness heading back from the coast a couple of days ago.
Old 19 August 2021, 10:34   #24

My point was more that the Grandfather rights that the Pre97 get as part of their licence makes them no safer, or better drivers (maybe worse) than drivers who completed their licence after 97 and completed a B+E test, for example.

If you want everyone towing a trailer to be of basically the same standard, and understand the rules, then everyone needs to be tested to the same standard. Grandfather rights don't do this, which was my point.

From a personal point of view, i would be more than happy if they scrapped the B+E test requirement for post 97 and the licences automatically got the categories like Pre 97 as it would allow me to tow greater than 750kgs. At the moment, its not an issue as my SIB and trailer are light.

I actually think a better option would be more of a certificate of competence, completed by a trailing school, rather than a DVSA test - Anyone can learn to pass a test, doesn't make them a good driver. A competency test could be better tailored to what the driver was looking to tow and would probably end up with better trailer drivers on the road.

Anyway, i thought this consultation was looking to reduce the need for licencing, not increase it due the the shortage of drivers, and lack of testing capacity?
Old 19 August 2021, 11:10   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
My point was more that the Grandfather rights that the Pre97 get as part of their licence makes them no safer, or better drivers (maybe worse) than drivers who completed their licence after 97 and completed a B+E test, for example.

If you want everyone towing a trailer to be of basically the same standard, and understand the rules, then everyone needs to be tested to the same standard. Grandfather rights don't do this, which was my point.

From a personal point of view, i would be more than happy if they scrapped the B+E test requirement for post 97 and the licences automatically got the categories like Pre 97 as it would allow me to tow greater than 750kgs. At the moment, its not an issue as my SIB and trailer are light.

I actually think a better option would be more of a certificate of competence, completed by a trailing school, rather than a DVSA test - Anyone can learn to pass a test, doesn't make them a good driver. A competency test could be better tailored to what the driver was looking to tow and would probably end up with better trailer drivers on the road.

Anyway, i thought this consultation was looking to reduce the need for licencing, not increase it due the the shortage of drivers, and lack of testing capacity?

Very rarely are new laws & regulations retrospective. The only ones that spring to mind are the alterations to the Firearms regs that restricted pump action shotguns to 3 shots, & the hand gun ban after Hungerford & Dunblane. To remove grandfather rights for towing would be impractical, suddenly you have a large contingent that can’t tow their caravans/boats/trailers and a huge backlog of tests. By definition “grandfather” rights will die out with the grandfathers. So in 30 years time or so, everyone will have passed a towing test.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2021, 11:22   #26

Yes, but are they not proposing to give everyone B+E off the bat, rather than removing GF rights? So, everyone could tow the same limit regardless of when they passed their test. My understanding was due to the lack of drivers and testing capacity?
Old 19 August 2021, 11:42   #27

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
I think you are confusing passing a test with a competence to tow. As with many things you only start learning to tow once you've been given a license to do so and you start towing. Whether getting a license was as a result of a test or because you are an old fart is almost irrelevant.
Old 19 August 2021, 11:46   #28

Quote:
Yes, but are they not proposing to give everyone B+E off the bat, rather than removing GF rights? So, everyone could tow the same limit regardless of when they passed their test. My understanding was due to the lack of drivers and testing capacity?
Yup. It's a cost and backlog aspect that has primarily triggered the review but I think what is being alluded to above is that while that may be the reason behind the process it may not transpire to be the direction of the end result once they look at crash data, revenue potential etc.

The big question is whether the review will include the view of the insurance industry as you might well end up with a situation where the Govt decides to drop the cost of testing people but the insurance industry then deciding not to cover drivers unless they've taken a private, approved course for £17m and four nights in Louisiana State Penitentiary over a desk.
Old 19 August 2021, 11:54   #29

Yes exactly.

I expect your average caravanner or 5/6m Rib owner probably doesn't even need to do the additional B+E test. They could probably tow 1.5tons behind a Mondeo without being tested. The thing is though its probably going to be a lot more difficult to control that rig, than if you had a 1.5 ton trailer behind something bigger. like a 4x4 etc (but you couldn't because then you would need B+E).

As with many things, the current regulations don't make much sense!
Old 19 August 2021, 12:30   #30

They're ok. The typical modern family car can easily and safely tow a braked trailer. It's a personal choice to have a 2.5 ton car over a 1.5 ton one and should you need to tow more than a ton you can just sit the test, which is quite prudent to do with a rig in excess of 3.5 tons.
Old 19 August 2021, 15:29   #31

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Just heard on radio over turned caravan on the M4 3 lanes closed…. Wonder if the driver had passed a trailer test? If they needed a trailer test for the rig they rolled? Would a test have prevented the incident???
Old 19 August 2021, 15:42   #32

Who knows. Depends on the setup.

You could work out from pictures if the setup required a B+E test if the driver had passed their test post 97.
Old 10 September 2021, 18:04   #33
RIBnet admin team

Well it appears they have made their decision and no longer a requirement for trailer test to tow with a car. Not sure how long before the rules come in force or if they will be indefinite/ give grandfather rights to those of us in that category or will just be a temporary exemption whilst they sort out the mess….
Old 10 September 2021, 18:32   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Well it appears they have made their decision and no longer a requirement for trailer test to tow with a car. Not sure how long before the rules come in force or if they will be indefinite/ give grandfather rights to those of us in that category or will just be a temporary exemption whilst they sort out the mess….
Any link?
Old 10 September 2021, 19:25   #35

Town: Starcross
Make: Lomac & Suzumar
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 90 & Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Any link?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-rule...law%20changing

Having just spent £800 on B+E training and tests, it’s a bit of a pain in the bottom/wallet. Glad I had the training though. It’s quite involved.

I think there should be some sort of trailering CBT, run by the current trailer instructors who are soon going to be out of a job - especially given the amount of accidents involving towing.
Old 10 September 2021, 21:31   #36

Thanks for the link training is very rarely a bad thing how do you encourage training without the exam tho
Old 11 September 2021, 05:03   #37

Good good, I’m personally happy.
Old 11 September 2021, 06:17   #38
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Thanks for the link training is very rarely a bad thing how do you encourage training without the exam tho

I think the gov missed the opportunity there to say if you do x hours of training with an approved instructor we will add the category to you license but if you don’t you miss out (they could have left tests for people who prefer not to get training as an alternative route).
Old 11 September 2021, 07:52   #39

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
The question will be is how will insurance companies treat this. Will they require proof of competence to insure people? Bit like to work on gas the regulations state you need to be ‘competent’ and there’s only one way to show that.
Old 11 September 2021, 07:55   #40

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I think the gov missed the opportunity there to say if you do x hours of training with an approved instructor we will add the category to you license but if you don’t you miss out (they could have left tests for people who prefer not to get training as an alternative route).
Thats a very good suggestion but I suspect that they back tracked on the tests because it didnt add to road safety. The govt will have the accident statistics before & after the implementation of the test & presumably they know it didn't increase road safety overall. Probably more accidents caused by cars close to their max towing limit trying to stay under 3500kg than there would be if folk could use a bigger vehicle and be legal. Imho a bigger heavier tow vehicle adds more to safety when towing something around 1500-2000kg than all the training in the world. The training seems to concentrate on slow speed maneuvering & reversing which might help avoid embarrassing situations but I'd wager most bad accidents happen at 50+mph when the tail starts wagging the dog because the car is marginal for the combination.
We might see more slipway entertainment now when folk cant reverse but I doubt there will be more bad accidents on the motorways.

Sent from my SM-G950F using RIB Net mobile app