Old 13 April 2006, 01:23   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shiver
Make: Zodiac Medline II
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Towing to the med

Just over a month now until i attempt this epic voyage. Just wondering whose done it before?, i had some questions about french toll stations ( width wise is it a tight fit?), what would be a reasonable speed to travel at? and are there any watch out for this...or i recommend this....points to be made. I would be most greatful for help from experienced towers, thanks.
Old 13 April 2006, 07:31   #2

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
I towed a 8m Ribtec back from the south of Spain a few years back. I towed her fully inflated at around 2.5m wide and had no problems, If anything it was a pleasure driving on road systems that are far superior to the ones in this country. I kept a steady speed of around 60mph. apart from a few mountains areas where the old Shogun 2.5 I had at the time struggled a bit.
Old 13 April 2006, 12:50   #3

Town: Clitheroe
Length: no boat
60mph the limit no? Check the speed rateing on your tires aswell

Alex
Old 13 April 2006, 13:29   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop
I towed a 8m Ribtec back from the south of Spain a few years back. I towed her fully inflated at around 2.5m wide and had no problems, If anything it was a pleasure driving on road systems that are far superior to the ones in this country. I kept a steady speed of around 60mph. apart from a few mountains areas where the old Shogun 2.5 I had at the time struggled a bit.
What do you expect - we paid for their bloody roads!!!

They are awesome though - and the drivers have far better manners than here!!! They actually ise their mirrors and if you come up fast behind them they will actually pull over and let you past!!!

No road rage either - even in Barcelona and Madrid - must be down to them having NO traffic calming!!!

I wonder what it will be like in a few years time though - they have motoways going nowhere with almost no traffic on them - with EU money being diverted to eastern Europe now they will not be able to maintain all these massive roads for long!!!
Old 13 April 2006, 18:13   #5

Town: London
Make: Humber Ocean Extreme
Length: 8m
Engine: Optimax 225
are we talking Spain or France?

the drivers here in Nice are inconsiderate and downright dangerous -even the Discovery 3 does not always put them off pulling out in front or squeezing in;

lots of "horn" and not unknown for a bit of fisticuffs on the Promenade des Anglais -bit of a spectator sport as is knocking off cyclists and scooter drivers who it must be said are usually to blame

however the drive down is easy and fast on the toll roads and it is sunny and quite warm -a beautiful day for ribbing or just having some tucker on the beach!

www.palais-yolande.com
Old 13 April 2006, 19:29   #6

Town: worthing
Make: ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x 40hp mariners
Towing to the Med.

Hi, i have travelled this route 5 previous summers towing 1.5 tons of twinaxle caravan, have since sold and bought a 5.35m rib though!.
As suggested the roads are very good, with service station/ rest areas every 30-50km, with excellent facilities, however don't leave the outfit unattended, and don't sleep in the car!, there are plenty of cheap hotels on route, however from exprience over Christmas book ahead.
The tolls from memory will cost you about £150 return from the South of France, for the outfit, as commented you certainly pay for the roads, however diesel is cheaper and petrol very slightly also. If you travel mid-week you may save on the tolls, paying for the car only, check out their web sites for info.
Last of all allow yourself 2 days driving, leaving Calais at around 10.00am will comfortably put you around Macon for the overnight stop for around 6.00pm at a steady 60mph, also on the way back look out for the mobile speed camera outside of Calais on the last motorway leg, British drivers running late for their ferries are easy pickings!. Spotted this last July and at Christmas driving back from the Alps, they must be camped there all year.!!.
Old 13 April 2006, 19:53   #7

Town: St Helier JERSEY
Boat name: Barney
Make: Scorpion
Engine: 350 Yamaha
Calpe

Still toying with towing my rib down to Spain, so keen to know what your plans are.

My rib is 8.5m so, with an extra metre of trailer and a disco 3 it's quite a lot of kit. I was planning on stopping in campsites on the way down as I'm worried about security.

Security's my main angst actually - the towing's pretty easy. Does any one have any experience in those parts - a contact at Calpe marina would be ideal!

Also, not sure it's worth all the hassle for two weeks ... ??
Old 13 April 2006, 20:06   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
are we talking Spain or France?

the drivers here in Nice are inconsiderate and downright dangerous -even the Discovery 3 does not always put them off pulling out in front or squeezing in;

lots of "horn" and not unknown for a bit of fisticuffs on the Promenade des Anglais -bit of a spectator sport as is knocking off cyclists and scooter drivers who it must be said are usually to blame

however the drive down is easy and fast on the toll roads and it is sunny and quite warm -a beautiful day for ribbing or just having some tucker on the beach!

www.palais-yolande.com
Spain - I found the roads in France were not as good. I used to hate the French - now find they are much better than the spanish(apart from road manners).

I think petty crime is a major problem in spain - especially car crime. Many areas we came to were littered with broken car window glass - reminded me of swansea!!!
Old 15 April 2006, 13:50   #9

Town: mansfield
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to osprey__viper
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTrader
Security's my main angst actually - the towing's pretty easy. Does any one have any experience in those parts - a contact at Calpe marina would be ideal!
No problem with the marina at Calpe. The outlaws have a villa there. I looked into taking our rib down last year and whilst I cant remember the figures it did seem cheap for storage and launch facilties.

It,s a beautiful part of spain and if you see a early 70's small gargoyle like figure flying a broomstick with a quite spoken ex-farmer doing as he is told, then be sure to say hello to my mother and father-in-law

Martin.