Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 27 August 2021, 14:10   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Towing on trailer, tubes deflated?

I just took a trip towing my boat (Zodiac Yachtline 530) without its tubes. I was surprised by how much better my tow vehicle's fuel economy was compared to towing it with the tubes (which is what I've always done). For longer trips have any of you towed your boats with the tubes deflated? If so, any tips? How do you secure them to prevent them from rubbing and wearing where they shouldn't? I was thinking about using a vacuum to suck the air out thinking that might help secure things but thought I'd check here to see if anyone does this and what to watch out for...

Thanks!
Old 27 August 2021, 17:28   #2

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Based on no actual facts tbf I’d be surprised if the extra/ unusual wear on the tubes and subsequent repairs caused by deflating and strapping would be relative to the savings you made in fuel economy. Done for larger ribs due to legal width requirements but almost never done by anyone else. Maybe they are all wrong 🤷*♂️
Old 28 August 2021, 18:22   #3

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh342 View Post
I just took a trip towing my boat (Zodiac Yachtline 530) without its tubes. I was surprised by how much better my tow vehicle's fuel economy was compared to towing it with the tubes (which is what I've always done). For longer trips have any of you towed your boats with the tubes deflated? If so, any tips? How do you secure them to prevent them from rubbing and wearing where they shouldn't? I was thinking about using a vacuum to suck the air out thinking that might help secure things but thought I'd check here to see if anyone does this and what to watch out for...

Thanks!
If it’s mileage over work load on boating day. I’d leave tubes inflated and in place but slow my top speed 5 mph (sorry! 7 kph)
Old 30 August 2021, 08:53   #4

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Keep them inflated...and suck up the fuel costs!
??
Under no circumstances try to completely suck the air out by artificial means...not that it would be a very practicle thing to do any way
You will potentially do far more damage strapping down the RIB over de-flated tubes an/or trying to stop them flapping at speed whilst being towed.

Tubes will take a HUGE amount of stress when used as they are designed to be used....INFLATED!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 13:52   #5

Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Thanks for the feedback. I've always towed with the tubes fully inflated, though this last trip without the tubes (I was taking the boat to pick up new ones) had me wonder. The change in fuel economy wasn't insignificant, maybe 40-50%. I hear you loud and clear on the potential for damage. Thanks again.
Old 30 August 2021, 17:33   #6

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh342 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've always towed with the tubes fully inflated, though this last trip without the tubes (I was taking the boat to pick up new ones) had me wonder. The change in fuel economy wasn't insignificant, maybe 40-50%. I hear you loud and clear on the potential for damage. Thanks again.
I've towed plenty of long distance trips and have often had VERY different fuel usage for the same miles/trip ...my rig is around two tonnes loaded with gear towed with diesel 4X4.
This is ALWAYS I'm my experience the result of wind direction and of course strength there of...regardless of Tubes being inflated...I suspect maybe you've had similar

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tubes