Click Here to Login

Old 16 December 2022, 13:37   #1

Town: Norwalk, CT
Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury, 9.9 HP 2T
RIBase
Towing an inflatable tube with a 9.9 HP RIB?

Hey everyone, i've got a brand new Zodiac Cadet RIB 270 ALU, 9ft 82 pounds dry, with a '95 Merc 9.9 2 Stroke, I want to tow my 120 LB Friend behind a tube, the boat loaded down is about 200-250 LB fully loaded down with full fuel, 76 Pound engine, and myself (130 LB) and I top out 27.8 with myself and 24 with both of us onboard, i'm not sure if I have to swap my propeller to get out of the hole faster for tubing and stuff like that but has anyone towed a tube behind a 9.9 HP? i've towed boogie boards behind it with 2 full grown adults at 190 LB each and we planed off and topped 18 MPH with full fuel. Let me know when you guys can since the boat won't be going in the water until may.
Old 16 December 2022, 17:15   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Per the law you must have a spotter/flagger in most states in the USA. That means two people in the boat plus the tuber person. You simply won't have the horsepower to do much more than drag them around on a tube...slowly.

"The operator of the boat is required to have a responsible observer at least 12 years of age facing the skier to assist the operator and monitor the progress of the waterskier." (I am a fan of using a flag to alert other boats to a downed "rider", as I am a fan of the unwritten rule of one hand up to let other boats know you see their downed "rider".)

Nice to see the Coast Guard setting minimum training rules. I have seen too many clueless idiots over the years on the water.
"Effective October 1, 2015, in order to operate a vessel that is engaged in tubing or water skiing you must; (1) be at least 16 years old; (2) hold a valid U.S. Coast Guard-issued vessel operator license 2022 Connecticut BOATERS GUIDE 25 B O A T I N G R E G U L A T I O N S or a valid boating certificate issued by CT, MA, NH, NY or RI; and (3) have a CT Safe Water Skiing Endorsement issued by DEEP. Exception: If, prior to October 1, 2015, you obtained a valid license issued by the USCG or a valid boating certificate issued by CT, MA, NH, NY or RI, you are not required to have a Safe Waterskiing Endorsement. Persons who are younger than 16 years of age, or who do not have a valid license issued by the USCG or a valid boating certificate issued by CT, MA, NH, NY or RI, are not eligible to operate a vessel engaged in tubing or water skiing. Persons who obtain one of the above described certificates from a State that has a reciprocal agreement with Connecticut or a U.S Coast Guard License, after October 1, 2015, will be able to obtain the required Safe Water Skiing Endorsement through an online Safe Water Skiing Course. The link to the course is https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Boating/S...ng-Endorsement "

Tags
inflatable, rib