Old 14 July 2005, 12:28   #1

Town: Cowes
Length: no boat
Total Noob

Hi, I've not long moved to the Isle of Wight and want to buy a RIB. I've got lots of boating experience (going slow!) on the Norfolk Broads but really need to know the following before I splash out:

1. What advantages do RIBs have over other boats of a similar size?

2. What RIB should I get for running around the solent with up to 3 other people and a dog? Around 6-7m and up to £20k.

3. Can it be left in the water for long periods or does it have to put on a trailer when not used?

4. What nav equipment do I need?

5. What training should I get?

All answers gratefully received - I've got an itchy cheque book finger!
Old 14 July 2005, 12:29   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Old 14 July 2005, 13:33   #3

Town: Newfoundland
Genuine

Hmm, presumably you are the same Britemp who posts on mobo chat? If so then I suspect genuine post not a trolling attempt so will respond in kind....

1) RIBs vs hardboats. This could take a year to discuss and would get bogged down in strong opinions either way. But in basic terms - increased buoyancy, softer ride, better in a rough sea, increased safety, SBS machismo overtones etc. Thing is that there are good RIBs and bad RIBs like there are good hardboats and bad hardboats and a lot of it is around how you use it.
Downsides for RIBS are little weather protection, no overnight accomodation (on most RIBs), expensive compared to similarly priced mass produced sportsboats.

Lots of RIBS in the Solent so they must offer some advantages if only as the latest must have fashion accessory

2) 6-7m good size. Short sharp chop in the solent so longer hull bridges it better and makes for comfortable ride. For your budget you are really looking at 2nd hand. So best thing is to look at what you could get for 20k and ask for specfic experience of RIB types here.

3) Yes but will need antifoul on the hull. Other issue is that many RIB's have tubes in the water at rest. So growth on tubes can be a problem. There are solutions to this if you search through the forum or ask.

4) Ideal nav kit is VHF, Depth and GPS. GPS should pref. be a plotter as charts are difficult to use on any small fast boat. With nav equipment the sky is the limit, it all comes down to budget. Being able to use it effectively comes is also important, which brings us to..

5) Training is highly recommended. Doesnt matter whether you get a hardboat or a RIB. PB2 is minimum. A number of good PB trainers available in the solent. I am sure others can post personal recommendations but purely from the quality of their posts here and on mobochat - Tim Griffin, Solitaire/Solent Ranger and Paul Glatzel would seem like good options.

Hope this all helps.
Alan
Old 14 July 2005, 13:44   #4

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
Ask Tim Griffin he is on the Isle of White and a member of this forum. He is very knloegable and a very nice chap. I'm sure he'll help you out.

Good luck
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2005, 15:34   #5

Town: The sunny IOW
Boat name: Jakoby
Make: Flatacraft
Hi

Welcome to the sub-tropical paradise that is the Isle of Wight.

Cowes is where I keep my tatty old thing - solook forward to perhaps seeing you about.

RIBS are just fantastic, stable, manouevreable (sic?), able to nip around the Solent comfortably in a fair range of conditions, and have the low draft to let you get in and out of places when the tide suggests otherwise,not to mention the open topped wind in your face exhilaration of fast cruising / wave jumping silliness...

Go on go on go on.... you know it makes sense.
Old 14 July 2005, 16:04   #6

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
not necessarily second hand!

most of the plus points have been mentioned however a new RIB at around the 6m mark is accessible for the budget, i bought a HUMBER ocean pro 6.3m which bar gps,fishfinder, vhf was bought for under 20k (just), for that i got a leisure kitout ideal for family/ friends and cruising, plenty of room to walk around, i chose wide console with bench on front of it, comfy!, and two single jockey seats behind console, great seats for rougher weather, and a bench at rear, = plenty of seating plus room to move around, kitted with a 140hp suzuki, goes like a dream! i seriously suggest getting a humber, great looking boat, capabale, comfortable, and practical! for under 20k! if you want to leave boat in water make sure u antifoul it!
if anyone knows how to downsize the pictures i hae would post them on here, oh and before i go, i think enough is said in this staement.........."having owned a rib and been in hardbouts i owuld never change my rib to a hardboat"
Old 14 July 2005, 17:03   #7

Town: Binfield
Boat name: merlinless now
20k - you should be able to get something good. I purchased mine out of season (nov last year) - 7.5 scorpion for just over 20k, however i did have to spend 500 quid on a new radio (VHF DSC) + Other bits. The boat has been great - make sure you have a good test run
Old 14 July 2005, 20:33   #8

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by britemp
Hi, I've not long moved to the Isle of Wight and want to buy a RIB. I've got lots of boating experience (going slow!) on the Norfolk Broads but really need to know the following before I splash out:

1. What advantages do RIBs have over other boats of a similar size?

2. What RIB should I get for running around the solent with up to 3 other people and a dog? Around 6-7m and up to £20k.

3. Can it be left in the water for long periods or does it have to put on a trailer when not used?

4. What nav equipment do I need?

5. What training should I get?

Aha another Islander on the forum good , we will take over at this rate.
Excellent advice given already on size and what you could get for your budget.
Other things to consider are costs of moorings ie afloat in marina or dry berthed cost of insurance running costs , safety equipment , nav aids (advantage of buying second hand it could come with lots of kit already)
Check www.ribsforsale.com as always got some good deals to be had also magazines boats and outboards and buy a boat for under 20,000 .Try Bembridge outboards as have a fair selection of secondhand ribs, do a training course as a starter as this can get you cheaper insurance but will also make you a safer boater as you are in a very busy stretch of water and so much can go wrong . If you enjoy cruising in company and a great way to build on knowledge gained from your course then lots of get togethers in the Solent organised on this site. Happy hunting
Old 15 July 2005, 10:40   #9

Thanks for that chaps - I am the one from another forum!

I moved to the blessed isle at the end of last year and have been looking at 30'-ish sportsboats for rather large amounts of money but having realised that A. I live 2 mins from the solent and B. Pretty much all of my use will be day use, I thought I should consider a RIB either instead of spending £100k+ on a 'proper' boat or as a good way to learn about boats prior to spending £100k.

I shall go and have a look at the places suggested and no doubt end up adding 50% to my budget like I seem to do with everything else I buy!
Old 15 July 2005, 10:47   #10

I quite like the look of these:

http://www.ribsforsale.com/detail.asp?RefNo=4079383

http://www.ribsforsale.com/detail.asp?RefNo=3787212

Is inboard/outbaord petrol/diesel better and am I likely to kill myself in the one that does 65mph?
Old 15 July 2005, 10:51   #11

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Both RIBs you have linked to have good reputations for build quality and hull ride. You can lessen the odds of killing yourself by getting some training from any of the excellent Solent based RYA schools - level 2 should be your starting point. And as for whether petrol/diesel/inboard/outboard - have a look here.

HTH

P.S. RIBs ARE 'proper' boats! And you can easily spend £100k on one if you so wish!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2005, 11:01   #12

That Scorp looks like a good buy for 22k for a diesel!
Old 15 July 2005, 12:24   #13

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
That Scorp does look good how many hours on the engine and any service history . Re schools Hundreds well 109 to be precise in the South to choose from

Have a look at www.rya.org.uk for a list of them or you could keep the natives happy and use one of them
Old 15 July 2005, 12:34   #14

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Its on here too!

http://www.ribmagazine.com/index.htm

Scorpion 7.5m.

240hp inboard diesel. MCA Cat 3. 700 hours since 1998. Icom M-601 VHF, Garmin GPS. Trailer.

£23,500
Old 15 July 2005, 13:46   #15

Town: Surrey
Boat name: ocean pro 6.3
Make: Humber
Engine: 140hp suzuki
boats at 100k

wow, well if u could stretch your budget to the 100k mark you could get a sweet RIb with cabin on! so security of a rib while having some of the comforts of a 'real' boat (personally i think RIBS are the real alternative haha) however i have suggested humebr which i love, due to just buying a humber 6.3m, which is great, however they are not as say sleek as a scorpion, or phantom, but i believe the humber hull is better. mind you an 8mtr humber with say 250hp suzuki on back would be pretty nice i reckon
Old 15 July 2005, 14:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertski
i have suggested humebr which i love, due to just buying a humber 6.3m, which is great, however they are not as say sleek as a scorpion, or phantom, but i believe the humber hull is better.
Not so Xpert on RIBs then......
Old 15 July 2005, 14:47   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
http://www.epsmarine.com/html/frames/fr_1.html

Crap website - hardly any details!!! The tigershark has a 420hp surface drive diesel - better pics on ribnet

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....light=ecodrive

If you have serious money to spend I would go for either a Tigershark diesel or a
pascoe SR9 twin outboard WOW!!!!

http://www.pascoeinternational.com/page/range2

For a more sensible option the new Shearwater 860 looks very good - great hull - a proper RIB and a nice console with 2 berths and a bog!!!

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....highlight=ring

Not bad value either compared to some of the others!!!
Old 15 July 2005, 16:24   #18

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Shaken Blue
Make: ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outbord petrol
Send a message via MSN to hannah
nice looking ones!!
look forward to seeing you out there too although you find most ribs look very simular lol
Old 15 July 2005, 16:50   #19

Town: The sunny IOW
Boat name: Jakoby
Make: Flatacraft
Listen to the prawn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn

pascoe SR9 twin outboard WOW!!!!

http://www.pascoeinternational.com/page/range2

For a more sensible option the new Shearwater 860 looks very good - great hull - a proper RIB and a nice console with 2 berths and a bog!!!

http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread....highlight=ring

Not bad value either compared to some of the others!!!
Both these boats have wowed the pants off me!!

Jim at Bembridge (so a local trader) does the Shearwater and it looks the mutts..
Old 18 July 2005, 11:40   #20

Thanks for all the advice, even from you mainlanders! LOL! Only been here 7 months myself!

I've got a bit more idea what to look for now and will definitely get the advised training before setting foot on my own neoprene and get a good life jacket as swimming and me aren't best friends!