Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 08 August 2006, 08:12   #1
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Tornado 8.5m, with Yamaha F225

Currently looking for an 8m Rib, have trialed Ribcraft 8m Sport, but have also been advised to look at the Tornado 8.5m. Have been in contact with Laurence @ Barnet, but he does not have an 8.5 to trial although is trying to see what he can organise. Does anyone on here have an 8.5m I could see/go out in with you in exchange for a nice drink?

Any opinions welcome.
Old 08 August 2006, 15:35   #2
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: OPTI 225
Go for a

We thought about a tornado for a long time ... but eventualy settled on Redbay 7.4 ...... which is actually 7.8m long ........ better boat ..... cheaper than tornado .......... Tom the builder has been out in a force 11 in the North channel in a 7.4 and surived !!!!

Plus you can customise it anyway you wish ..........

Gavin and I did a cruise up in scotland ...and every harbour we went into has a redbay morred in it ......... and I mean every harbour .... so I think that says it all.
Old 08 August 2006, 17:08   #3

Town: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy
Currently looking for an 8m Rib, have trialed Ribcraft 8m Sport, but have also been advised to look at the Tornado 8.5m. Have been in contact with Laurence @ Barnet, but he does not have an 8.5 to trial although is trying to see what he can organise. Does anyone on here have an 8.5m I could see/go out in with you in exchange for a nice drink?

Any opinions welcome.
Richard

Have you thought of diesel say 320HP on a 7.5 mtr rib
Old 09 August 2006, 08:00   #4

Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
Gavin and I did a cruise up in scotland ...and every harbour we went into has a redbay morred in it ......... and I mean every harbour .... so I think that says it all.
THUMP I thought I reconised you in the Gigha Hotel on the Wednesday, sorry for not coming over. We were in for a bite to eat before heading back round the Mull from Tobermory. Jim Berry at Croabh Haven had said that a couple of guys were in in a Redbay on the Tuesday and were heading south. We were going to stay in Jura on the Wednesday, but the wind was hitting a F7-8 and we were not getting any shelter at Craighouse. We decided to head for Gigha and couldnt believe the number of boats holed up there from the wind.
I saw your boat tied up at the landing stage when we left, did you get a good run south?, we got a bit of a doin' at Macrahanish and then the Sanda Sound, but as expected the Redbay took it all in its stride .
Cheers
Andy
(6'3'' and short Grey Hair!!!)
Old 09 August 2006, 09:03   #5

Gavin and I did a cruise up in scotland ...and every harbour we went into has a redbay morred in it ......... and I mean every harbour .... so I think that says it all. [/QUOTE]

Could mean that Scotlands closer to Redbay than it is to Barnet Marine ?
Old 09 August 2006, 09:25   #6
RIBnet supporter

Redbay 8.4m Stormforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
I am currently waiting a price on an 8.4m Redbay, open deck layout, then just got to fly to Co. Antrim for a sea trial.
Old 09 August 2006, 10:07   #7

Quote:
I am currently waiting a price on an 8.4m Redbay, open deck layout, then just got to fly to Co. Antrim for a sea trial.

Good luck with that Nauti Buoy
Have you spoken to Laurence about his thoughts on Redbay I know he has an axe to grind and is a born salesman but it makes very interesting listening all the same
Old 09 August 2006, 10:22   #8
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan
Good luck with that Nauti Buoy
Have you spoken to Laurence about his thoughts on Redbay I know he has an axe to grind and is a born salesman but it makes very interesting listening all the same
NO I havn't I'll ask him when I next talk to him, PM sent to you.
Old 09 August 2006, 12:21   #9
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee
THUMP I thought I reconised you in the Gigha Hotel on the Wednesday, sorry for not coming over. We were in for a bite to eat before heading back round the Mull from Tobermory. Jim Berry at Croabh Haven had said that a couple of guys were in in a Redbay on the Tuesday and were heading south. We were going to stay in Jura on the Wednesday, but the wind was hitting a F7-8 and we were not getting any shelter at Craighouse. We decided to head for Gigha and couldnt believe the number of boats holed up there from the wind.
I saw your boat tied up at the landing stage when we left, did you get a good run south?, we got a bit of a doin' at Macrahanish and then the Sanda Sound, but as expected the Redbay took it all in its stride .
Cheers
Andy
(6'3'' and short Grey Hair!!!)

NO way .... We saw your Rib , but thought it was a perment fixture in Gigha , and when you were leaving you put on some clothing with the redbay creast, and then gavin and I coped on ....... but you were gone then...... we tried craghouse first .... but then decided thta there would better shelter in Gigha .... ended up in a tent though !!! not too bad for one night....... Went back to Redbay via Sanda ... and got a rough crossing of the north channel on the beam ..... very wet , we had to run the pump all the time to keep the water out.

MILAN... I think that in the sea conditions up there , if Redbay didnt exist they would be all deltas or tornados .......... you would have to travel to get a boat to cope ....... my piont is that they are proven Ribs ... and in my opinion, nicer to deal with then barnet ........ we were trying to structure a deal with lawrance , and his view was, that is was his way or no way.

Nauti Buoy your welcome to come to dublin and try out our rib. At ribraid 2005... Hugo of RIB INT fame thought that we had one of the most sea worthy ribs he had ever seen , and we were awarded a special prize for it.... But I think it was just down to good driving on me and Gavins part !!!!!
Old 09 August 2006, 13:07   #10

Nauti Buoy
PM sent.
Old 09 August 2006, 15:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIM
NO way .... We saw your Rib , but thought it was a perment fixture in Gigha , and when you were leaving you put on some clothing with the redbay creast, and then gavin and I coped on ....... but you were gone then...... we tried craghouse first .... but then decided thta there would better shelter in Gigha .... ended up in a tent though !!! not too bad for one night....... Went back to Redbay via Sanda ... and got a rough crossing of the north channel on the beam ..... very wet , we had to run the pump all the time to keep the water out.

MILAN... I think that in the sea conditions up there , if Redbay didnt exist they would be all deltas or tornados .......... you would have to travel to get a boat to cope ....... my piont is that they are proven Ribs ... and in my opinion, nicer to deal with then barnet ........ we were trying to structure a deal with lawrance , and his view was, that is was his way or no way.

Nauti Buoy your welcome to come to dublin and try out our rib. At ribraid 2005... Hugo of RIB INT fame thought that we had one of the most sea worthy ribs he had ever seen , and we were awarded a special prize for it.... But I think it was just down to good driving on me and Gavins part !!!!!
Tim sent you a PM.
Old 11 August 2006, 23:48   #12
RIBnet supporter

Tornado with 275 Verado

I think a Yamaha 225 on the back of an 8.5m Tornado is not enough and am looking at a 275 Verado, does anyone have a similar set up and if so what speed are you getting.
Old 12 August 2006, 00:12   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
275 verado

Hi, Be aware that the 275 verado requires 92 Octane petrol. That can be a problem. T.
Old 12 August 2006, 02:12   #14

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Hi, Be aware that the 275 verado requires 92 Octane petrol. That can be a problem. T.
In the UK that would be Super Unleaded or 98 octane.

If a 225 isn't enough have a look at the Etec 250 or the new suzuki 300 coming soon.
Old 12 August 2006, 12:22   #15
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda
Hi,

I have just double checked with Barnet Marine, Tornado supplier and been told the 275 Verado when it first came out only should be used with Super Unleaded but now it is fine to use normal unleaded.

If anyone else knows that this is definitely incorect, please can they say as really do not fancy a knackered Verado due to wrong fuel.

Cheers
Old 12 August 2006, 12:28   #16

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
I chuck the ordinary juice in mine, and it goes well enough. 275Ver on an 8.5 hull and flat out, 2 up I get 64mph on the gps on a flat calm, trimmed to the limit. I should say - that this is with 6000 rpm swinging a 21 prop, the motor is quoted to run up to 6400, but I wouldn't fancy the fuel bills !, cos they know how to drink if you drive them hard
Old 12 August 2006, 17:12   #17

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Hi,

I have just double checked with Barnet Marine, Tornado supplier and been told the 275 Verado when it first came out only should be used with Super Unleaded but now it is fine to use normal unleaded.

If anyone else knows that this is definitely incorect, please can they say as really do not fancy a knackered Verado due to wrong fuel.

Cheers
You won't knacker it and it will still run - it's just you will only get say 250hp instead of the full whack!!!
Old 13 August 2006, 10:40   #18

Town: Drøbak
Make: RIBTECH 9,5
Length: 9m +
Engine: Volvo D6 370
Tornado 8,5

A friend of mine here in Norway has a Tornado 8,5 and it does about 50 knot's with a 250 hp evinrude, on a good day with choppy seas.

How about going for a Suzuki 250?

Roy
Old 13 August 2006, 11:04   #19

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Ran
Make: Tornado
Engine: Verado 275
T8.5

I will pick up my Tornado 8.5 with a Verado 275 in early September. So if You can wait until then, I will have some first hand comments.

Regards

Henrik