Old 28 April 2012, 13:12   #1

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yammy 90
Tornado 5.4 Light in the bow?

Hey folks,

coming in to boating season again, and cant wait to get back on it after i get my trailer fixed! Last year, i spent a lot of my time waiting on good weather and light winds, because even in small sea my tornado is very slammy, and seems far too light in the bow. the previous owner was a diver and had it built to suit - there is a bottle rack forward of the console, and then the anchor stowage section infront of that again. When i am out, i keep my spare fuel tank up front to try and keep the bow down a bit when coming in to the sea. Engine trim works to an extent, but then the boat starts to pitch when i trim too far in. Was thinking about adding some weight as ballast up forward, what you reckon? Anyone else have this problem? is it a weight issue, or just the joys of a badly designed hull?

Moving the console forward is not really an option as it is moulded into the deck

Cheers,

Si
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 13:50   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Friend of mine (who also dives) has similar boat, but the bottle rack is behind the jockey seat. It's a good sea keeping boat and seems to power through the rough stuff, I wouldn't say his slaps at all. You could try a couple of sand-bags roped at the bow and see how it handles, then decide what you want to do. This is the same boat a few years back from Gardenstown to Rosehearty. Engine is Mercury 90hp.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 28 April 2012, 15:07   #3

yeah i think sand bags is a good idea - ill acquire some hessian sacks from offshore and give it a shot! where about are you in aberdeenshire mate, and where do u launch?
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
Old 28 April 2012, 15:38   #4

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Fluffy
Make: Northcraft, Ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: Out 135 Mercuary
I never like to idea of taking on extra weight that I don't need. More weight=more fuel.

When my boat was nose heavy I managed to get a little more trim down. That stopped the slapping.

However, if that is not possible can I offer my mother in law. You can stap her to the bow and power through a force 8without any chance of bow lift!

D
Old 28 April 2012, 16:13   #5

Hahaha excellent! Although id rather some ballast that won't talk rubbish to me - or I'd have used the mrs!!
Old 28 April 2012, 16:38   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
Where about are you in aberdeenshire mate, and where do u launch?
I'm in Alford. Used to launch from Rosehearty, but as my brother is in Balmedie, so it's been Cruden Bay for the last few trips, and only a fiver to launch. Coastline is interesting up to Peterhead. I sometimes launch from Stonehaven too, although it's £15 a pop or get a season ticket. Went from there a couple of years ago as far south as Inverbervie.
Old 16 May 2012, 11:19   #7

Just incase anyone is interested - I threw a broken slab in to the front (heavily lashed in rope) as an experiment and it worked a treat - handled like a different boat! Got a load of old diving weights to use now - will use them along with a sandbag and it should be much better!

Cheers

Si