Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 16 July 2013, 16:37   #1

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Toobs falling to bits at speed!

Hi, now I have finally got the boat on the water I heard a noise and a funny spray pattern at the rear of the tubes. Now I have the boat out of the water I can see that the lower rubbing strake has come off at the rear of the tubes at the cone end (see photos) and both sides. I have tried to glue / repair this before but am now concerned that this going to be difficult to reglue as the outer tube (orange) is stuck to the back of the strake and there is now nothing to glue it too.

Anybody got any ideas?

As I have done all the work in the past myself I must admit I am tempted to take it to the experts as tube replacement is costly!

Thanks

Gareth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	82927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	82928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	82929  
Old 16 July 2013, 17:07   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Hi, now I have finally got the boat on the water I heard a noise and a funny spray pattern at the rear of the tubes. Now I have the boat out of the water I can see that the lower rubbing strake has come off at the rear of the tubes at the cone end (see photos) and both sides. I have tried to glue / repair this before but am now concerned that this going to be difficult to reglue as the outer tube (orange) is stuck to the back of the strake and there is now nothing to glue it too.

Anybody got any ideas?

As I have done all the work in the past myself I must admit I am tempted to take it to the experts as tube replacement is costly!

Thanks

Gareth
hi Gareth,
I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but to me it looks like both surfaces need to be cleaned back the original material before trying to re-glue, unless you can achieve that I don't think you have much hope. if it were me, I'd be taking it to someone who's got the know how and kit to do a proper job, there are a couple of tubes builders / repairers locally that could do it for you. or have a word with Jeff Hutcheon on here, he's got a mate with access to the right kit, he may be able to help.

maybe best keeping Nat away from your rib, she is ways causing trouble that one
Old 16 July 2013, 17:41   #3

Boat name: Carpe Diem
Make: Ribeye 650S
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Hi Chris, thanks for the advice and I will have a chat with jeff as I agree that its probarbly a job beyond me. Was out with Nat at the weekend just gone. You will need to ask her about the Irish man with no shoes that she fished out of the Mersey and the mud surfing by out slip way!
Old 16 July 2013, 18:03   #4

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
You need to go careful with this one a where the fender has come away it has taken the top Hypalon layer with it. Don't do to much sanding on the tube itself as it is already down to the weave. For this to work you will need to prep and glue the old bits back on and extend the rub strake using s Hypalon strip for the fender to stay glued on.
Old 16 July 2013, 20:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribshop View Post
You need to go careful with this one a where the fender has come away it has taken the top Hypalon layer with it. Don't do to much sanding on the tube itself as it is already down to the weave. For this to work you will need to prep and glue the old bits back on and extend the rub strake using s Hypalon strip for the fender to stay glued on.
ah, for once I was right, get some help from the professionals, it may cost a few bob but be far cheaper in the long run
Old 16 July 2013, 20:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whackywoody View Post
Was out with Nat at the weekend just gone. You will need to ask her about the Irish man with no shoes that she fished out of the Mersey and the mud surfing by out slip way!
hmmmmm...... Knowing Nat it's my guess she pushed him overboard in the first place, and pinched his shoes as he went over the side, very dodgy character
Old 16 July 2013, 20:58   #7

Town: wirral
Boat name: midlife Too
Make: COBRA
Length: 6m +
Engine: 15O E-TEC
MMSI: one day !!
Hi Gareth
P M sent