Closed Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 18:45   #21
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Richard & Red Fox although I can see that you mean well, I am affraid that (like all others except Mike) you have jumped in to the wrong conclusions.
No one jumped to any conclusions. You said that you were using toluene:
Quote:
Is called Toluene and unfortunately you cannot find it anywhere in Europe.
They were responding to what you wrote.

I'm glad to hear that it's not actually toluene, but it still wouldn't be my choice of cleaner. If it contains toluene it will still be toxic.

If you do use it then it would be best restricted to cleaning small areas and definitely not spraying it. The same goes for any other solvent based thinners such as MEK or acetone, which whilst not as toxic as toluene can be decidedly unpleasant.

John
Old 25 April 2004, 18:52   #22

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
acetone and most thinners can cause cancer please ensure you have some form barrier protection CARE OF SUBSTANCES HAZARDOUS TO HEALTH 1996
should be adhered to when using any such chemicals, please take care and always check labels,
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 25 April 2004, 19:33   #23

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Don't all scoff at Manos - it just shows ignorance!
codprawn, think about it...
a) using, or recomending the use of a hazardous substance without knowing the potential risks
b) reading safety data sheets (from a reputable source) on a product and then advising caution on its use

Which of the above is an example of ignorance?

(Manos, don't take this personally, and I'm not having a go at you !!)
Old 25 April 2004, 19:35   #24

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Don't all scoff at Manos - it just shows ignorance!
Did I say that I am achemist??

Quote:
In fairness to Manos there are plenty of things in common use that have warnings just as bad - if not worse - than toluene....... including common or garden petrol - unleaded petrol contains benzine which is FAR more toxic than toluene!
Have a look at what petrol contains - toluene being just one of the ingredients
I was about to say that and I'm not a chemist
Old 25 April 2004, 19:54   #25

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Richard 1stly I'm not taking it personally but don't take things so seriously. The are NOT
However, I said that I am bringing this staff from SA (meaning) that I also intend to use it did NOT say that I am using it! OK JK??
Did NOT say that any one else should use it!!
I have smeled it, seen it and cleaned things with it and so far I'm fine so are all these 1000s of people that use it too.
Petrol is toxic too and contains toluene so you will say next that we should not use petrol in engines? Smoke emitions from engines are toxic also so what we do? we stop breathing or not use cars?? Who's going to be the 1st?? Why such a fuss about nothing realy.
What is going to be the next time who killed a fly or who caught the biggest moscito or I know who saw a pink bumble bee and the implications to the Penguins in Alaska!!!
It seems to me that you guys have nothing better to do (like me realy right now and until I go to Greece by the end of next week when our season starts) and try to find something to pass the time. Which is fine
Come on give me some more minus points I want to see if this thing goes bellow zero (what a JOKE!!)
Old 25 April 2004, 20:13   #26

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
The fairy liquid would be better for the environment tho' wouldn't it Manos?
It is hard to remove the encrusted bits ( so Paul tells me!!!!!!!!!!!!) ... it's good to have a broad discussion about this as the substance you mention seems to be poisonous...

Missus
Old 25 April 2004, 21:28   #27

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
Did NOT say that any one else should use it!!
In that case, why mention it? Are you now saying that anyone else SHOULDN'T use it?
Old 25 April 2004, 22:02   #28

Hey is the millions against one here another -100 points for me
Richard I did not say that you should or you shouldn't use it. I said that I have tried this thing and it WORKS!! so for £1/ltrs or a bit less I'm bringing some for me in Greece from SA. Nothing more nothing less.
If someone else wants to use it is up to them if they can find it.

Missus look prenious posts and falso rom cod. You will find that most of the things you use in everyday life are dangerous so why all have a go about this cleaning staff.
Since actually Alan started it, so I am to think that he must have shares or must sell cleaning staff for more than £1/ltr for living and he is to lose out . But he also sells nuts and bolts and I can find those cheaper too and they are not dangerous or are they ??
Old 25 April 2004, 23:34   #29

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Oh the misery of being on Manos's ignore list. My life is over........

On a more helpful (to Tim at least) note. The product I have used before with some success is called "Ribshine". Contrary to Manos's belief I don't sell it (or nuts and bolts either for that matter) and have no commercial axe to grind. Its readily available from chandlery's. Its a spray and is best applied using bathroom scourer and plenty (& I mean plenty ) of elbow grease. In fact its probably the scourer and the elbow grease that does the trick!

(Elbow grease is non toxic and readily available worldwide!)

Toluene thinners are widely used to clean up glue spills etc in RIB construction. However I think there is quite a difference in using them for cleaning small areas and doing a whole RIB and I would definately only use it in a well ventilated place!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 26 April 2004, 07:26   #30

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
on a more serious note after poor old Manos has been battered on this forum
when using any thinners cleaning material please think about your own health
and the enviroement any thing that is toxic to humans can be catastrophic to wild life, Manos what ever you decide to clean your ribs with do take
care as you bring such light hearted releif to these forums you are a typical
passionate Greek and i am sure some of your well meant replies get a little lost in translation, i think the watch word here is caution for all of us, we all want to maintain our pride and joy's in perfect condition and we may throw caution to the wind in our efforts to acheive this , so please check the contents of the containers and ensure you have protective barriers ie rubber gloves and if needed overalls and face mask
regards tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Closed Thread