Old 26 July 2021, 15:07   #1

Town: Herefordshire
To hot to buy a RIB?

Hi all,

I'm new to posting here (been reading various contributions for months now and always impressed with the knowledge on here) and after some advice.

I've been on the water in various craft for years, driven 8m ribs and had small 4m inflatables as a youngster. I am now looking at getting a 5m, probably up to 80/90 hp. I wanted something for fishing, family fun, cover and bay hopping and maybe a little river work - it therefore needs to be versatile but capable when the wind over tide chop kicks in.

I'm very limited in budget so that might be tricky but looking at the prices at the moment, it seems sh boats are going for pretty high prices. a 2004/2005 model valiant is around £9k.

I'm nervous about getting something that old on account of articles I read about the delamination and unsticking on sponsons!

budget ideally under 8k.

Any ideas/opinions/ metaphorical slap around the face welcome!
Old 26 July 2021, 15:35   #2

Town: New Ross
Boat name: SIRIUS
Make: Ribcraft 4.8M
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Mariner EFi
MMSI: 250 005566
RIBase
Firstly welcome and secondly, at the moment RIB prices are through the roof. You will be lucky to find a good condition 5m RIB with a decent engine for your budget. Not impossible but you will have to get lucky. I would sit tight and wait, I reckon there will be a glut of second hand ribs up for sale come end of season, as all the staycationers get bored of their toys and put them up for sale. Good luck with your search. I waited 12 odd months for the right boat to come up. It was frustrating but worth it in the end.
Old 26 July 2021, 15:39   #3

RIBase
Don't be too hung up by age. My RIBCRAFT is a 2004, and tubes and hull are in good condition, plus the engine was only two years old when I got it in 2018 with 104 hours on. Just don't rush to buy the first thing you see, look at as many as u can.
Old 26 July 2021, 17:00   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Prices are bonkers due to many factors always worst time of year to buy too but you gotta pay if you want to play……
Old 26 July 2021, 17:17   #5

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Time to buy is after the summer holidays are over & Christmas is looming.
Or in early new year when the Christmas credit card bills arriving.
Old 26 July 2021, 22:32   #6

I figured I might hear this. It would seem that some folk are getting the same price on a sale now that they did 6 or 7 years ago as a buyer.

Same with cars. I've seen stuff 10 or 20% higher when before you couldn't give the things away. Madness!

I'm prepared to wait. I'll miss this summer but would also like to use it year round so hopefully a softening of prices will help me in the winter.

Any other tips or guidance equally welcome. Thanks for thoughts so far - much appreciated
Old 26 July 2021, 22:54   #7

Always recommend a water test but many sellers are unwilling especially in January……. End of October isn’t a bad time to buy a project boat still warm enough to use it once or twice and work out what needs doing over winter
Old 27 July 2021, 07:55   #8

useful advice, thank you.

Is there any bench marking resource that will give an indication of what some of the more popular boats might go for? or is it best to seek opinion on here if and when I eventually find one?
Old 27 July 2021, 07:58   #9

RIBase
If you see a boat you like ask the question on here and put a link to it, plenty of people on here will then give advice. Prices, well I have seen for example tatty 4.8 ribcrafts advertised for 4k less than a new one, so I don't think you can gauge it properly at moment
Old 27 July 2021, 08:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB View Post
If you see a boat you like ask the question on here and put a link to it, plenty of people on here will then give advice. Prices, well I have seen for example tatty 4.8 ribcrafts advertised for 4k less than a new one, so I don't think you can gauge it properly at moment
Blimey. It looks like I am in for a wait...!
Old 27 July 2021, 08:53   #11

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
It's a difficult decision where to pitch in, probably time and circumstance will determine what you end up buying.

What suprised me was how purchase, running and license costs multiply so much for seemingly small differences in length/power. Also how bigger boats become difficult to manhandle and store on trailer, not to mention extra elbow grease in keeping them looking good.
Old 27 July 2021, 09:11   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I will admit that always try to sell boats and motorcycles @Oct/Nov/Dec.

People just believe they will be getting a bargain, and if you've got something a bit different that's hard to get a price comparison on you normally do very well with the price.

Nasher.
Old 27 July 2021, 09:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
It's a difficult decision where to pitch in, probably time and circumstance will determine what you end up buying.

What suprised me was how purchase, running and license costs multiply so much for seemingly small differences in length/power. Also how bigger boats become difficult to manhandle and store on trailer, not to mention extra elbow grease in keeping them looking good.

When you say license costs, is this harbour dues etc or something else?
Old 27 July 2021, 09:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
I will admit that always try to sell boats and motorcycles @Oct/Nov/Dec.

People just believe they will be getting a bargain, and if you've got something a bit different that's hard to get a price comparison on you normally do very well with the price.

Nasher.
interesting idea. This is where some benchmarking would help. There exist benchmarking data for certain sailing dinghies. Problem now however is that this year prices have gone through the roof. I sold mine a couple of months back - in hindsight, I shouldn't have. Not only have I missed out of a few quid - most importantly, Im without a boat!
Old 27 July 2021, 09:52   #15

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl13 View Post
When you say license costs, is this harbour dues etc or something else?
Yes harbour dues, river license(s), berthing/mooring/visitor fees and launching costs. Charged by the metre and surcharge according to engine size they like to get your cash both ways.
Old 27 July 2021, 10:42   #16

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi sl13 ,and wellcome to the forum ,just going to add my controversial two pennyworth to your post as my thoughts are slightly different to what some believe (as i have believed too most of my years )
Personally i dont think it matters what time of year you buy as i think the internet has given everybody access too a great leveller ,if its too much money it wont sell ! ,there are some exceptions of course ,also there are great advantages IMO to buying from a dealer as you may get some reassurance with service history even on older boats many people will have an annual service which is better than some one who is not capable tinkering and causing more potential failures , general dealer charge is min of 8% plus vat =10% of the money you are spending so always a good knowledge to have in your head .
Personally i would try to see if a boat looks used regularly and is loved ,preloved boats that it is "now time to let someone else enjoy " ar imo to be avoided as is dragging it out the nettles or visiting the seller where the strimmer is still warm !
The beuty of the internet allows you to split your price into 3 ,you are buying a hull and tubes ,an outboard and a trailer ,so keeping this in your head is also a good way of avoiding paying over the odds ,a boat and outboard without a trailer can often be a good way to get a bargain
And dont forget the boat show is in september and thats because the manufacturers want to clear everything before the winter ,several people will be hoping for a bargain in september so will want to sell their pride and joy prior so they have got cash in their pockets to take advantage of the offers .
just a few personal thoughts which may help the openminded
Old 27 July 2021, 12:21   #17

Another issue with off peak shopping is lack of choice, once people have taken the boat off the water put it away for winter they often cant be bothered to sell it, unless the storage fees are high or they are loosing storage facilities. Most are loathed to get it out on the water again for you to test it so you are buying untested, if they aren't going to use it again themselves usually costs a fair bit, so they take them off sale. A good time to snipe a bargain is when fees are due, March April for coming season, i missed a cracker of bargain in the spring as fees were due the seller didn't want spend £1200+ on the storage again but boat had to be out of the stack, I should ahve bought it and worried about a trailer later.... but hindsight..
Old 28 July 2021, 08:04   #18

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Might be even harder to find anything!
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...small-boats-on
Old 28 July 2021, 10:01   #19

interesting thoughts and opinions - thank you for sharing. A bit like the housing market - it's racing at the moment and in amongst the speculators and greedy sellers are those selling due to births, deaths, marriages and divorces, meaning some more motivated to move rather than make money!

I have the cash in my proverbial so perhaps a small project would suit me nicely.... I'll keep searching
Old 29 July 2021, 18:22   #20

Just available - no info on servicing, no history (being sold on behalf of a friends dad), tatty and lacking some basics by the sounds of it - what's the collective opinion?

My view is, it might be worth a punt but worry about having no info whatsoever. I suspect somebody will buy it at that price, i just don't think I would!

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/av...or-sale/671888

Tags
rib