Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 21 March 2005, 00:43   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: STROKER-1
Length: under 3m
'THUNDERCATS' new web & Forum.......

Had a look through the archives before posting this and couldnt see anything noted previously so here goes..........

ThunderCats new web........... http://www.thundercatracing.co.uk/

ThunderCats Forum............... http://www.thundercatracing.co.uk/bb/

Aquarius Inflatables............... http://www.aquariusinflatables.co.uk/

Teams - Drivers - Sponsors - Support all being sought for the 2005 season !

Thankyou - JOHN.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:25   #2

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Jon,

Are you involved with the thundercat series then? What is the difference between these and the Zapcats? As far as I am aware they are similar boats but you can use any engine make?

I want to get into racing either one sometime after uni but wouldn't know which one to go for....could a zapcat race in a the thundercat series?

Cheers

Tim
Old 12 April 2005, 22:11   #3

Hi Tim - nice to hear from you..........

Just been away in Hayle - Cornwall for a week with the children (just had to take the ski with me also, just in case - you know ........ )

Glad that you've asked me the question, cos i don't have the foggiest !
Seriously, i think you are almost correct in your assumptions and it would be better to ask those in the know at the ThunderCats HQ in Chandlers Ford.

If you go onto their website and ask for a starter pack from Sophie Pascoe, i am sure you will receive all that you require.http://www.thundercatracing.co.uk/in...&t=125&m=media

Have just had a meeting with them today to finalise details for the next event at Ventnor-IoW and will shortly have an update of the full itinerary for that race weekend of May 7th & 8th.

Race #1 details: http://www.thundercatracing.co.uk/in...&t=66&m=racing

Incidentally - this weekend on the Saturday, we will be safety training with some newcomers to ThunderCats, somewhere near to the area of Daedalus slipway at Lee-on-the-Solent from around 11am - 3pm and then on the Sunday, we are heading from Daedalus to Yarmouth and then on to the Needles on a reccie trip. Would be a great opportunity for you to come along to the slipway and find out first hand how it all works. All the relevant officials will be there on both days .......... let me know if you are coming ?
Daedalus launch site: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...rch.srf&dn=791

All the best, John Hopkins.
07970 344610.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThunderCats..jpg
Views:	884
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	11335  
Old 13 April 2005, 14:13   #4

Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
High John what tv coverage has Thundercat got this year and how many boats are you expecting this year. It seemed like the Thundercat race series didnt have that many takers last year.
Old 13 April 2005, 15:29   #5

Hi Craig -

Please accept my apologies for not knowing the answers myself, but my involvement is with the safety and training aspects.
But having said that, i do believe there are to be around '40' cats at the Ventnor venue - which is only ROUND #1 of the national championship!

For further info, please contact Fiona or Sophie via the ThunderCats website for full informative details:

http://www.thundercatracing.co.uk/

cheers, John.
Old 13 April 2005, 19:52   #6

Thundercats....... are go!

Hi Guys,long time since I last posted, good to see Manos is still on-line!There has been a few actually loads of changes in my life; one being that I now organise Thundercat racing based in Southampton which has taken over my life, I love it and have my oldest daughter working for me. We are slowly but surely building a secure future for the series which is a non-profit making organisation similar to Offshore racing and unlike Zap Cats which has a promoter and is a commercial venture, where you have to race only Gemini Ribs and buy the kit from them, with us any manufacturer's boat that fits the series can race and we try to make racing as cheap as we can for the competators.

Thundercat racing UK is only a small cog in a big worldwide series that has been going for years and has seen differnet series start and stop. The Southern hemisphere has dominated the sport and there are similar organisations like ourselves in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, Europe and more are following.

The GB Squad and myself have just come back from competing in the World Cup staged in East London South Africa, GB came 2nd in country but South Africa came 1st and overall winners individually. I'm very proud of the five teams that entered - Kevin Cruellin & Sarah Barrell, Jason Wyatt & James Agnew, Abhai Pandya & Mile Littler, Sean & Bryn Fisher and finally Daniel Williams & Damion Bowen.

The future for International racing is excellent with a World and European Championship in progress for 2006, many countries asking for the further three years, so lots to look forward too!

As for the UK, I am asking for local clubs around the UK to open their membership to our guys, bringing back the real 'grass root racing', training new drivers and fun events. That will give me more time to devote to a larger National Championship, finding new exciting venues and World events. We have 10 new racers so our fleet will vary between 12 to 24 boats this year and more to follow. We will be racing with various other extreme sports from Kite and windsurfers to Offshore racing, I dont want Thundercat's to grow to quickly so this is a good way to start - Competative safe racing on the water but keeping the fun and friendly community spirit on land!! I am especially aware of the cost factor so try at all times to get sponsorship, cheaper goods and freebies for the guys.

We are not competing against Zap Cats, some of our racers who's boats are not Gemini ribs cant race in their series. Zap Cat's is very professional operation and we wish them all the best for 2005. I have a lot of friends who actually race in the series and will also do some of ours this year - Thats what's nice about it.

As for T.V - Yes we will have it for 2005, I am about to sign a three to five year deal with a large production company. To keep up to date with whats going on. log onto the website www.thundercatracing.co.uk occasionally or read Rib International.

Hope this helps, love to hear from any avid ribsters who would like to get involved fiona@m2mracing.com

Fiona P x
Old 13 April 2005, 20:02   #7

Feline Fantasy!

OK I will annnounce tomorrows news on RIB.NET tonight!

There will be a Nationwide search for a fully sponsored all female team to race the 2005 Thundercat series. Any female interested over the age of 18 should contact us. Must be physically fit and enjoy high adrenline sports.
GO Girls!!

For you men dont windge......... there's already two male teams sponsored by companies so it's about time the girls got a chance.

We need
Driver - boating and surfing experience would be a benifit, to help with the handling of the cat and reading of the waves.

Co-Driver - strong upper body strength and a good sense of humour!!

Looking forward to seeing an all girls GB team at the next World Championship!!
Old 13 April 2005, 20:12   #8

Fiona,

Just out of interest, can people design and make their own boats to race? What are the restrictions etc?

I have quite a few other questions I would like to ask you (mainly to do with photography ), but, due to a huge uni report that I'm trying to finish, I don't have time to email you at the moment. I will do as soon as I can though.

Cheers

Tim
Old 13 April 2005, 20:55   #9

Hi Tim

I would love to say you can design your own but unfortunately the restriction states that the boat has to be from a manufacturer......... There are many around;

Ceasar - Aquarius - Thundercat - Gemini - Wild Cat - Mako are all from South Africa, there are more but cant remember.
DUX in america/canada plus others I think in Asia area. It would be good to have a UK manufaturer but cost factor would come into it. I know they all look the same but the actual ride of everyone is so different therefore before you buy try to test as many as you can.

I will await your email, looking forward to it. if you wish to chat you can always get me 24/7 on 07770 306969.

Good luck at Uni.
Fiona
Old 13 April 2005, 20:59   #10

Fantastic photos Tim - you should come with us on some of our surf days! You would of love South Africa!
Old 13 April 2005, 21:07   #11

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Engine: Tohatsu
Fiona

This a great idea glad you are keeping well.

Martin Curry
Old 13 April 2005, 21:17   #12

It was good to see you recently so sorry we never had time to chat. Hope to catch up over the year.

I knew if I got on the site again I would get addicted! he he he!! but it's nice to keep in touch - will never forget 'my' grass roots of Offshore and RIbs!!
Whilst in South Africa your name was discussed - 1.3lt Worlds!!! How could any of us forget!! I think that is where our worlds next year will be - Cape Town and for 2007 either UK, Namibia or New Zealand.

x
Old 13 April 2005, 21:17   #13

Thanks Fiona! my write up is going painfully slow!

So am I right in saying that one could buy a zapcat with the zapcat race regulation engine, race it in the zapcat series and it would still be valid to race in the thundercat series?!

Cheers

Tim
Old 13 April 2005, 21:23   #14

Town: Pagham Harbour
Boat name: Scallywag
Make: Arran 16
Engine: Tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona P
It was good to see you recently so sorry we never had time to chat. Hope to catch up over the year.

I knew if I got on the site again I would get addicted! he he he!! but it's nice to keep in touch - will never forget 'my' grass roots of Offshore and RIbs!!
Whilst in South Africa your name was discussed - 1.3lt Worlds!!! How could any of us forget!! I think that is where our worlds next year will be - Cape Town and for 2007 either UK, Namibia or New Zealand.

x
Always happy to lend a hand if I can and we must catch up soon.

Martin
Old 13 April 2005, 21:25   #15

Tim, you can bring your gemini, 50hp engine as per Zap cat series rules and race with us anytime or just come and join in one of our fun days out and training sessions, where you can test with safety boats on the water - we are doing that this saturday at Lee-on-solent and on sunday going to Yarmouth for lunch - cost is £20 inc lunch per boat just to help with the safety guys fuel who are donating their crafts and time - thanks guys!! Just do me one favour come and join us when there isn't a Zap Cat race on - I'll have hell to pay for that and get accused of poaching their drivers and I dont need that hassle - the UK is big enough for everyone. x
Old 13 April 2005, 21:28   #16

Sounds good Martin - email me at work fiona@m2mracing.com with your contact details! You would enjoy the crowd we have, really fun team!
Old 13 April 2005, 21:34   #17

Thanks for the info Fiona. I obviously wouldn't want to get you into trouble, just wanted to find out about the logistics of doing both series and only having to fork out for one boat! The Thundercat series certainly sounds like it could be excellent fun!

I may try and make the Ventnor event to take photos, although its quite expensive for me to go back home to the island as I'm doing it the weekend before as well.

Best of luck with all the planning. I will compose my email in the next few days.

Cheers

Tim
Old 13 April 2005, 21:39   #18

Give me a call Tim as I'm sure I can sort a ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Fishbourne out for you free of charge!! might even be able to fit you in for accomodation with the lads if you dont mind roughing it slightly.... Good laugh the boys are! Always like a photographer around
Old 13 April 2005, 22:05   #19

Fiona, legendary!

Not sure about the uni work around that time yet. When not at uni, I live on the island so accomodation wouldn't be a problem for me, thanks for the offer though. Ferry offer sounds good though! Thanks!

I'll be in touch.

Tim
Old 13 April 2005, 23:16   #20

'smelly feet'!

'TIM' - i've seen the state of your socks back at Yarmouth that day - please don't think for one moment that you're going to go anywhere near my accommodation or bunk with those monsters !

Seriously though - are you able to come out this weekend ? If getting out of central Southampton is a problem for you, i am sure there is a lift available coming from that way, over to Daedalus - call me.

-VENTNOR- You are very welcome to join my enterage on the Friday 6th May when we leave Gosport with some of the safety crew +kit to Portsmouth for the ferry to the Island and we will be returning on the Sunday after the clear up has been completed.
Your camera skills would be a great asset to the whole event.
I have to agree with Fiona's comments re the comradery between the entire teams and officials - it is totally wicked.
Saturday night is party night - be prepared - be VERY prepared.

**WARNING**
One word of warning for you.........just because you are a student, please do not think for one minute that it would be good fun to try and keep up with Fiona where drink is involved ! 'YOU WILL NOT WIN' - - - LoL

Talk with you again soon Tim, all the best, John.

07970 344610