Old 09 July 2009, 19:31   #22

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I'd guess it makes Neil really really really really think what if .........
It does. It took a few days to realise what a twit I was and just how badly my accident could have ended.

I like to think it's been useful to have told the tale here - here is where I found my boat and picked up the knowledge I needed to go and buy one. Hopefully it's made a few people who, like me, were a bit too casual about briefing novices, wearing kill cords, wearing jackets etc sharpen up their routines.
Old 09 July 2009, 20:45   #23

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Well you wont be the first .. or the last.. and its not the first type of thread people search for on a forum.. when they want to buy a boat, so dont beat yourself up about it .. but its good to have a place for people to refer to such incidents where we can all get a heads up
Old 09 July 2009, 21:02   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
My Missus is obsessed with the things. She clips it to my jacket?shorts when I'm close quarter tiddling about, I reach for a fender or a warp and 'Twang' the lump cuts out.
Old 09 July 2009, 21:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
My Missus is obsessed with the things.
I bet you need one for exploring rock pools .. now dont make me go off topic
Old 09 July 2009, 21:30   #26

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
OK so in the spirit of telling stories about Killcords and near misses here is mine.

Last week in Salcombe took the rib down and went out for some of those great sunny days we had. I religously wear a killcord when on the Rib although have so far not had an incident where it was needed (touch wood).

I also took down a little inflatable tender which I bought off ebay (navigator III) I power this with an old Yamaha 2HP 2 stroke that has a linear throttle lever on the front of the motor and no killcord.

My brother in law and I were using the tender to take us onto a beach with my son (4yo) and my nephew (4yo). As we came into the beach a small wave was coming up on us from behind and although only a foot high it swung the tender round and I ended up being thrown out.

The 2HP was running at full beans as we had been trying to get up speed to run onto the sand and had swung hard over. So now there I am trying to grab the boat which is spinning round with 2 kids and my B in law hanging on for dear life.

I missed grabbing it and realised that the engine was about to run over my leg so quickly scrabbled out of the way and the engine missed by inches. Luckily by B in law then cut the throttle and we walked the boat in.

All this happened in water that was less than 2 foot deep.

Lesson learnt?....

1 - This engine does not have a killcord so I have adjusted the throttle friction so that you have to hold it in position and if you let go it springs back to idle.

2 - When coming onto a beach if there are any waves jump out and walk the boat in rather than try and drive it in through the surf. Yes you get wet legs but better that than no legs

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2009, 21:37   #27

Benign looking 1ft shore dump can cause huge embarrassment. I saw an older guy approaching Mollulnan beach last year rowing a plastic tender. He ended up with it upside down with him under it. My slurp of Rioja went everywhere.
Old 09 July 2009, 21:42   #28

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilda View Post
It does. It took a few days to realise what a twit I was and just how badly my accident could have ended.

I like to think it's been useful to have told the tale here - here is where I found my boat and picked up the knowledge I needed to go and buy one. Hopefully it's made a few people who, like me, were a bit too casual about briefing novices, wearing kill cords, wearing jackets etc sharpen up their routines.
Neilda,

Just my view; there is a difference between lack of knowledge and the decision not to apply it. you were not a twit, you were incompetent. Someone who gets drunk in charge of a tanker and runs aground with all the relevant qualifications is a twit.

The boating world as you will no doubt find out is full of jobsworths and others who 'need to be right' without you adding to it by condemning yourself during the learning process, the benefit of your story is to remind even the most experienced among us why we do things and in that, this type of event is invaluable.

When I got my first boat I launched on a beach with a strong on shore wind that banged the boat off the trailer I could be calling myself an idiot as there was plenty boats there just no one trying to launch, but in the enthusiasm to get it out there I persevered, I got some distance from the shore did something very similar to yourself. By pure luck had bought a 4Mtr SR with sit in seats the boat hooked and the first I knew it had happened was my head being wet, the force of the impact had lifted me out the seat I had managed to end up with my head under the water but because the tube had been in the way, it had sat me back in the seat. No kill cord attached...lifejacket on thinking that was all I needed......it was inexperience, not stupidity. Now 20 years later if I saw someone doing the same things I would try some advice as at that point they would be incompetent if however they chose not to listen....
Old 09 July 2009, 21:51   #29

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Benign looking 1ft shore dump can cause huge embarrassment. I saw an older guy approaching Mollulnan beach last year rowing a plastic tender. He ended up with it upside down with him under it. My slurp of Rioja went everywhere.
You probably would have shot Rioja through your nose if you had seen the fecking mess I made of this "beach landing"

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 July 2009, 21:58   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You probably would have shot Rioja through your nose if you had seen the fecking mess I made of this "beach landing"
Those that know me have often heard the tale of when Steve Mcfaddern (Phil, Eastenders) made a complete bollox of trying to leave same beach in a small dinghy. A mate of mine carried his G/F of the time (Lisa, Eastenders) over his shoulder a dumped her head first into a 1/2 swamped 2.6m Avon whilst we held it.
Old 09 July 2009, 22:05   #31

Quote:
Those that know me have often heard the tale of when Steve Mcfaddern (Phil, Eastenders) made a complete bollox of trying to leave same beach in a small dinghy. A mate of mine carried his G/F of the time (Lisa, Eastenders) over his shoulder a dumped her head first into a 1/2 swamped 2.6m Avon whilst we held it.

Did he sail off into the distance saying 'Gertcha .. were 'avin a fresh start' and .. did you puncture his aft tube while you were at it

*edit* obviously not since hes done another series
Old 09 July 2009, 22:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Did he sail off into the distance saying 'Gertcha .. were 'avin a fresh start' and .. did you puncture his aft tube while you were at it

*edit* obviously not since hes done another series
We got a slightly embarrassed "Cheers lads". Same voice, there's not too much acting going on there.
Old 09 July 2009, 22:39   #33

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Quote:

The 2HP was running at full beans as we had been trying to get up speed to run onto the sand and had swung hard over. So now there I am trying to grab the boat which is spinning round with 2 kids and my B in law hanging on for dear life.

I missed grabbing it and realised that the engine was about to run over my leg so quickly scrabbled out of the way and the engine missed by inches. Luckily by B in law then cut the throttle and we walked the boat in.

All this happened in water that was less than 2 foot deep.
Yikes. That was a near one - particularly with the kids on board too.

I'm rapidly developing propellorphobia! Which is a proper phobia - if you see what I mean.
Old 09 July 2009, 22:42   #34
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
1 - This engine does not have a killcord so I have adjusted the throttle friction so that you have to hold it in position and if you let go it springs back to idle.
you can get retrofit killcord kits if you won't to for the safer option
Old 10 July 2009, 00:54   #35

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Ow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
I dont think some peeps realise how likely scenario B actually is, since, as soon as you let go of non hydraulic steering the outboard will go to full lock
Why? I have cable steering and mine doesn't.

Admittedly a failure in the steering system (which may be the reason for being thrown out of the boat in the first place) will cause it to go to full lock but that's a bit different, if I fell out of mine due to being a lumbering oaf with no sense of balance, it would just keep going.

I always wear a killcord though so I hope it would stop - swimming in a Fladen suit is however something I would prefer not to try even over a short distance

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2009, 04:03   #36

Town: Huntington Beach
Boat name: Howlee Bugar
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: 25 hp Yamaha Enduro
It has been fun reading about everyone's experiences regarding kill cords. I have to admit I have become somewhat lax about wearing mine but with testimony from all of you, I can assure you I will make sure mine is on each and every time I set out. Thanks for the reminders. One can never be too safe.
Old 10 July 2009, 05:40   #37

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post

I remember the late great Shaun White saying that sometimes they caused more problems than they solved.
Late? - from a prop accident by any chance?

In any case, great post JK!

It amazes me how many boaters around these parts can't be bothered with kill cords. A buddy of mine took a introductory boater's safety "course" (basically a 4 hour classroom session), and no mention whatsoever was made about kill cords! Since he was already aware of the importance of kill cords from the times he's been in my boat, he asked the instructor about this after the course had ended. He was told that it was not part of the curriculum of the introductory course (the one that is now mandatory for rec boaters in Canada), but that it does get discussed in the more 'advanced' courses.
Old 10 July 2009, 06:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Why? I have cable steering and mine doesn't.
Lucky you .. If the trim tab behind the prop doesnt balance the prop thrust, (and sometimes its impossible to get it right) and you have a fairly hefty motor as I did, say 135 with manual steering, by the time you get up to full speed, the 'pull' on the steering was considerable. Mine was a particularly bad example, but it is not uncommon, as my research for the problem proved. Either yours is balanced perfectly somehow and/or you have a fairly heavy boat, where the effect may seem less so. The boat in question for me was quite light, but I can assure you .. letting the helm go at full chat on that craft would have been suicide, and I often worried about component failure elsewhere in the steering system because of that.

Its a very good argument for fitting hydraulic steering
Old 10 July 2009, 07:01   #39

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
There ARE times when wearing a kill cord is not a good idea.

Do the RNLI and other rescue services use them?

I remember the late great Shaun White saying that sometimes they caused more problems than they solved.

Codders
You speak as though you have this wealth of experience/knowledge and refer to the the late Shaun White as though he was friend of yours .

The RNLI do not wear kilchords and I could bore you to death about the new rescue boat code of practice regarding this and throttles .

RLSS UK Rescue Helm do by the way .

The point John is making and makes it very well is that if you do not wear a killcord because you are either stupid -lazy -forgetfull or just think you are a indestructible and nothing will happen to you . The results can be pretty life threatening.

This forum is read by leisure users who come on here seeking advice -help and banter if you want to go on a rescue site there are plenty out there where you can give it large. My point is think before you start typing your thoughts and who will be reading them.

Bottom line no killchord on you may as well have the grim reaper sat on your boat.
Old 10 July 2009, 07:30   #40

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Well obviously it won't work on a boat with jockey seats but on a racing boat like Cookees they work very well!!!

I used to drive an old Fletcher Bravo with one - it was brilliant.
There is a time and place for foot throttles and jockey seats probably isn't it. However as Lewy will testify in the right boat they work really well and free up both hands for steering, it's probably why cars have done it that way for quite some time now! Of course of you do leave the seat you still need a kill cord as the engine will still be going at least at tickover speed, and if you have full lock on it could still get messy.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote