Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 December 2005, 17:32   #1

Length: 3m +
Thinking on buying a AVON 320 Jet DL

Hi

I'm new to Ribs and looking at purchasing an Avon 320 Jet DL. Can any of you give me some advise on this? They certainly are at a premium price point. Are they worth it ?
I'm in Canada. I found a new 2004 for 20 K CAD. I read that one rental company stopped using them as people we being thrown out. Any comments would be really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 15 December 2005, 17:43   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
That is nearly £10,000 sterling which is about the same price in the UK where they are made.

Yes it is a lot of money for a small boat - you could get a 5.5mRib over here for the same money.

Having said that they are great fun and pretty quick.

Yes you will get thrown out if you aren't carefull - that's what lifejackets and kill switches are for!!!

Think of it as a PWC in disguise - more a fun toy really. They are very popular as tenders for big yachts like sunseekers.

As you are in Canada have a look at the seedoo explorer - similar sort of thing but may be cheaper over there.
Old 16 December 2005, 09:42   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown
Hi

I'm new to Ribs and looking at purchasing an Avon 320 Jet DL. Can any of you give me some advise on this? They certainly are at a premium price point. Are they worth it ?
I'm in Canada. I found a new 2004 for 20 K CAD. I read that one rental company stopped using them as people we being thrown out. Any comments would be really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Very lively and yes, very easy to get thrown out. Charter company I do some driving for had one as a tender to their Sealine T46. Was great fun but the customers kept getting bounced out. Had to sell it before anyone got hurt.

So, great toy on FLAT water but rubbish on waves.

As Codders has said - a toy in disguise.

The reason they are so popular as tenders on Sunseeker type boats is nothing to do with how good they are but because they have low air draft and can fit in a very small, low garage - no outboard sticking up to get in the way.

Packaging triumphing over function unfortunately.

However, depends what you want to do with it. Would be great on a sheltered lake / estuary / river.
Old 16 December 2005, 17:30   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: RocknRoller
Make: Revenger
Length: 4m +
Engine: 150 Yamaha
If you are looking for somthing that can be used for fun and for normal all around use then why not see about getting a zapcat. My company is a zapcat dealer and im sure we could get one shipped out for you.
check them out www.zapcat-racing.com
Old 16 December 2005, 18:41   #5

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider

The reason they are so popular as tenders on Sunseeker type boats is nothing to do with how good they are but because they have low air draft and can fit in a very small, low garage - no outboard sticking up to get in the way.
Disagree a little there - they are no more unstable than any other 3.2m boat that can do 40mph - unless it's a zapcat of course!!!

Not so much outboard sticking up that's the problem as the extra length when it's tilted.

Bloke I know has one swinging off the davits of his 47 Aquastar and he loves it - best fun for it's size and not too bad at sea - as long as you keep the speed down - 40mph is quite fast in ANY boat remember.