Old 04 July 2019, 10:21   #61

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

Must clarify this. I think that observation is as you mostly see the Honwave T32/38 Donny. All the flat air floor/sausage keel models (that I'm not keen on) have space between air floor and outer skin just like an alloy floor. My Aerotec with its separate outer skin has a lesser volume of bilge but enough such that splashed in water has never risen above the floor. The Excel Volaire that interests me would have the Honwave problem though as its air floor is a one-piece bottom with no outer skin a far as I can see.
Yup..good point Fenladnder ..but I will add there was water slopping about the aerotec I was on .. it was rough conditions though and a fair amount of spray thrown around. Its “bilge” is no where near the size of a solid floor SIB with decent keel. Of course that is only my observation. .but I am still highlighting it has a smaller bilge and will slop around before the solid floor boats when in heavy sea conditions. Hey.. even the fully cavernous volume of my wooden floor Quicksilver fills up and I need to pump it out on some of my journeys.

I appreciate PD may or may not go out in heavy seas..so it may or not affect his decision. I also realise there are flat floor airfloors with a keel..but as I have never been in one..will not comment on those types.
Old 04 July 2019, 10:29   #62

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I will add there was water slopping about the aerotec I was on .. it was rough conditions though and a fair amount of spray thrown around. Its “bilge” is no where near the size of a solid floor SIB with decent keel.

Yep and that's why PD has to make a SIB choice based on his use and operating area. I have no idea if he's intending a few Nm to a sunny beach for BBQ... or gentle run in white shorts to a pontoon tie up at a bar.... or driving through any weather making passage to an overnight camping location.

Despite decades on the water I never class myself as any more than a day out/leisure SIB user for self and Mrs F... if the water starts to rise above the Aerotec's "small" bilge I would have accusations from the front seat of poor passage planning/helming!
Old 04 July 2019, 10:45   #63

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
I can understand that too Fenlander..my ex would not go in a boat for all the tea in china. At least there are now a few things for PD to consider for his usage. He may find that like me..he enjoys being out in challenging conditions on his own. its a totally different boating experience than a big RIB

Everyone is different in their demands for the type of boating they want to do..and thats why there are so many different shapes and sizes. IMO Every boat is a compromise of weak points and strong points to cover different folks uses and needs. Its why many have more than one. If there was a perfect boat..everyone would have it .

One thing I have found though..that the easier the boat is to be on the water..the more it will get used. That includes Big Ribs and Small sibs. The harder it is to get on the water and use.. its appeal will soon be lost.
Old 04 July 2019, 11:26   #64

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
>>>PVC bottom SIBs are far tougher than some may give credit

Totally agree. I was cautious in my first period sibbing but have come to realise a PVC SIB within reason can be treated as GRP on beaches and slips... in fact pulling a bit onto shingle or a concrete slip can leave a less noticeable scuff on the SIB underside then the annoying mark you might find on GRP doing similar.

>>> Airfloors tend to have water slopping around in the bottom

Must clarify this. I think that observation is as you mostly see the Honwave T32/38 Donny. All the flat air floor/sausage keel models (that I'm not keen on) have space between air floor and outer skin just like an alloy floor. My Aerotec with its separate outer skin has a lesser volume of bilge but enough such that splashed in water has never risen above the floor. The Excel Volaire that interests me would have the Honwave problem though as its air floor is a one-piece bottom with no outer skin a far as I can see.

Pardon my ignorance but “sausage keel air floors”?? Would the Zodiac futura fall into this category?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2019, 11:35   #65

Not in the way I'd judge them. The Futura is a much better built, better designed and different performing beast to the budget end basic flat air floor models with LP keel (or HP keel in case of some later Zodiac Fastroller models).

A 3.7m air floor Futura is about £4000 and rated to 25hp... a 3.6m flat air floor Fastroller is £1700 and rated to 15hp... which gives an indication of the different design and build.

I think to make the best of a Futura a larger OB than the Yamaha 15 you mentioned might be needed.

Of course Futuras come as both air and alloy floor models... just to add to confusion/choice.

A really nice looking Futura… post #11.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/z...rce=ios_social
Old 04 July 2019, 12:08   #66

RIBase
Quote:
Not in the way I'd judge them. The Futura is a much better built, better designed and different performing beast to the budget end basic flat air floor models with LP keel (or HP keel in case of some later Zodiac Fastroller models).

A 3.7m air floor Futura is about £4000 and rated to 25hp... a 3.6m flat air floor Fastroller is £1700 and rated to 15hp... which gives an indication of the different design and build.

I think to make the best of a Futura a larger OB than the Yamaha 15 you mentioned might be needed.

Of course Futuras come as both air and alloy floor models... just to add to confusion/choice.

A really nice looking Futura… post #11.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/z...rce=ios_social

Now I’m really confused [emoji848] I thought the Air floor futura WAS the fastroller, or is “fastroller” a generic term for air floor SIBs? It’s the 3.8m MK2C that I’m considering.

I think the one you linked to is Gazzago’s on here. If it is, I believe it’s a 2004 ish model which is older than I’d like. I’d like to drop on a nearly new outfit, but I’ll probably end up biting the bullet & going new unless I get lucky.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 04 July 2019, 12:33   #67

Fastroller was a term Zodiac used for any of their SIBs with the HP drop stitch air floor. So over the years there have been the light more budget end Cadet Fastrollers with HP floor and LP "sausage" keel (i.e. keel same as under a hard floor SIB) then they went onto the HP floor with a linked HP slightly taller keel that performed a little better than the earlier LP type but wasn't without its problems.

Then there have been the Fastroller air floor versions of the Futura run alongside the hard floor models.
Old 04 July 2019, 15:06   #68

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Dave look at this then go on the zodiac page its got the specs for all the futura's

Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Zodiac Mark 2 C Futura Fastroller
Old 04 July 2019, 19:53   #69

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
know nothing on this subject (i do admit it) but saw this in your county i think
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ler/1345189239
Old 05 July 2019, 07:30   #70

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
know nothing on this subject (i do admit it) but saw this in your county i think
https://www.gumtree.com/p/boats-kaya...ler/1345189239

Thanks for the heads up, but i don’t think it’s the right outfit for me.
Old 05 July 2019, 09:35   #71

PD is it just you plus one all the time on the holiday trips? Do you take a dog too? Also when you said near the start you wanted to assemble at waters edge and go what is the nature of waters edge where you visit... soft sand... rocky... crowded slip... mixture?
Old 05 July 2019, 10:48   #72

RIBase
Quote:
PD is it just you plus one all the time on the holiday trips? Do you take a dog too? Also when you said near the start you wanted to assemble at waters edge and go what is the nature of waters edge where you visit... soft sand... rocky... crowded slip... mixture?

At the moment it’s just the 2 of us, can’t rule out a dog in the future. It’s going to be mixed terrain, anything from small secluded slips to beaches/marinas etc.
Old 05 July 2019, 12:51   #73

Hmm you see the thing is your proposed use is very similar to ours as far as I can see.

Days out/holiday... two folks with dog optional... not wanting to trailer the boat set up... avoid trailer launch giving greater launch flexibility... probably want decent comfortable (within reason) ability in a sea.

And after 7 previous SIBs which part met those needs we have settled to the Aerotec that fully meets all such needs. It's a niche SIB but if that's your niche too they're a very good choice.

So how about this... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bombard-A...IAAOSwAz1c~P4~

Yes it's more expensive than most on the used market but it's a 2013 which was before Zodiac started getting in a complete muddle but still new enough to push potential glue issues way in the future.

It come with all the kit inc the excellent OE HD Zodiac wheels and a 12v pump etc. The Suzuki 20 efi is a very popular 4-stroke and perfect match being the modern lighter design at 44kg.

I reckon... not that you can buy a new Aerotec now except for a slim possibility of special order... at new prices that's around £5250 worth of kit and a guestimate of split used values would be £3250 so trim just a bit off and it's about the right ball park.

If you really fancied a new Yamaha 15 2-st that Suzuki could be sold off still leaving the SIB and bits at right money.

I speak from experience (of weight not model) on a daily setup or holiday use dragging up a beach or on slightly more awkward launches you'd appreciate the 64lb weight saving over even an air floor Futura.

Having said that you've mentioned them as if interested so if you have a fancy for a new Futura no point in messing about listening to what others think you should just get one.
Old 05 July 2019, 13:04   #74

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zodiac-Mk...1%26algo%3DREC.
Old 05 July 2019, 13:16   #75

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Quote:
Having said that you've mentioned them as if interested so if you have a fancy for a new Futura no point in messing about listening to what others think you should just get one.
I think I'd mostly agree with these sentiments.

Whatever you choose, it will be a compromise and I'm sure after a few trips you'll start to formulate an opinion on what works for you and what doesn't.

As Gurnard suggested, most SIB's nowadays are pretty competent and I imagine if you stick to a 'known' brand you'll reduce the risk of buying a lemon.

I think you probably need to accept that the first SIB you buy won't be the only SIB you'll buy.

The Futura looks a very nice boat. I have a customer who owns a Futura Commando and in spite of all the other toys available to him, the FC is generally the first port of call when he wants to raz around or get people ashore.
Old 05 July 2019, 14:09   #76

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the same as mine. Well made, super durable - but, getting the floor in as not a trivial task. It will no doubt get easier with practice, but when I removed/refitted mine it was like a wrestling match to get everything in the correct place.

I'd be inclined to consider an airfloor; Aerotec or Futura fastroller
Old 06 July 2019, 07:10   #77

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
I keep seeing references to buying new 2 stroke outboards. Am I missing something how are people achieving this are they just claiming commercial use ?
Old 06 July 2019, 09:15   #78

>>> how are people achieving this are they just claiming commercial use ?

If you phone round a few dealers... say the smaller ones for Yamaha, Mercury, Tohatsu with the query you're looking for one of the last of the 2-strokes in mint condition and money no object you may well find they are keen to explore how "your business" may qualify for buying new.
Old 06 July 2019, 15:28   #79

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
>>> how are people achieving this are they just claiming commercial use ?

If you phone round a few dealers... say the smaller ones for Yamaha, Mercury, Tohatsu with the query you're looking for one of the last of the 2-strokes in mint condition and money no object you may well find they are keen to explore how "your business" may qualify for buying new.
Is that how you got a nice shiny looking one ?
Old 06 July 2019, 15:41   #80
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Pikey - I assume you’ll spot that someone just posted a takacat here...

Tags
sib