Old 22 August 2004, 11:10   #1

Town: Brighton
Boat name: Brilliant
Make: Avon 620
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 150
Things that go wrong in Cornwall.

Well I towed the RIB down a week last Friday, 350 miles and no hold-ups. Parked it on neighbours farm. Couldn't use it over the weekend as had housey things to do in Porthleven. Monday morning found the cover slashed, tools and 20 litre fuel tank nicked from the rear locker. The tank was a nice yamaha original with a level gauge and stuff. Funnily enough the binoculars and life jackets were left. Main problem was that there was a two inch slash in the tube where the cover had been cut. Quite a bit of swearing.

Called police, got a call centre in Plymouth - usual stuff 'do you know who did it?' - they kinda lost interest when I said I didn't and declined to take the matter further. Two days later I got a letter from Victims Support asking if I wanted counselling for emotional distress! Quite a bit more swearing. It was bad luck really as nothing ever happens round here (6 miles west of St. Ives and right out in the sticks). If anyone had seen anything it would have been sorted out locally without the police - they are pretty self-sufficient bunch (the locals, not the police - though they probably are as well)

On the plus side I phoned Olmec (they are 15 miles east of Plymouth) and they did a same day repair while I waited (actually we went off to the coast which was 10 minutes away and then spent over an hour 'intensively exploring' the South Hams area before managing to find our way back. Great service, many thanks.

Coming back we went through some torrential rain and found that Boscastle and Crackington Haven had been flooded that afternoon.

Boat is now being stored in another neighbours farmyard - now has security lights, dogs and armed response (the farmer has a shotgun!). Trouble is the weather has been on and off crap all week and I have been working on the house. Hopefully better luck for the coming week.

So as we are all back in action, anyone up for a trip? Was thinking of heading over to Porthleven and along the Lizard - though not confident about the bit going round the corner to the Helford River.

So I think I have the record for the longest post not actually involving using a RIB.
Old 22 August 2004, 11:55   #2

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Zennor,

Sorry to hear of all your woes.

I would love to join you but I haven't got a tow car this week, as it flooded in sympathy with Boscastle and is in the dealers having 2 new sunroofs (or escape hatches as we know them in Cornwall).

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote