Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 May 2013, 18:48   #21

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
I have seen the slip at Deerness and was at the open day and show a few years ago when it opened.
However this is a fishing club/yacht club slip for the local club AFAIK and I have never launched there. All the facilities I used were council owned or operated by the HA.

I have only paid for a launch twice ever, and that wasn't even in Scotland but in Wales. generally nobody ever bothers about charges outside marinas and as long as you accept the facilities the way the are and cope with any "anomalies in the surface and condition" few slips are chargeable on the west coast, long may this continue.

I have the Orkney council guide somewhere in the house and even this was free from the HA!
Old 03 May 2013, 19:16   #22
RIBnet supporter

Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Not doubting you at all, just saying that in several weeks trips all over Orkney the only time I ever saw anything anywhere about paying for using facilities was in westray where there was a sign on the pontoon to pay the Harbourmaster, who we couln't find even when we asked.
All other facilities even when we asked someone if we could launch on ferry slips and at harbours, including at scapa where the harbout auth HQ is, nobody ever asked for or said anything about paying or having a permit.
There were no signs or honesty boxes except weher stated above. (that we ever found anyway)
We even asked at the HA HQ about launching before using Scapa slip once and they never cracked a light about charges even though we were picking up a permit for diving and were launching in front of the building!
There may be a rule there but my experience is that nothing is in place in practice.
No problem at all Bruce - good to have the discussion
Old 03 May 2013, 20:22   #23

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.i.wilson View Post
Where is the free slip in Poole Harbour? I would really like to avoid Baiter slip and the jet ski s
Lake road....but if you see jetski nobbers at Baiter..tell the guy or call Poole quay boat haven on ch80....they will send someone...
Old 05 May 2013, 16:00   #24

Town: Basingstoke
Make: Ribeye 785s
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 225 K3
MMSI: 232018159
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
Free where we go on Kintyre (Carradale). I don't mind the charges at a decent marina like Largs because you've got the use of good facilities & pontoons to load the family. Plenty of places to beach launch but it's a pita getting the family in plus if the weather's against you probably better to watch the tv !!
Hi Paddlers, We are also annual visitors of Carradale - perhaps we have met (or know Colin)?

Dave