Old 27 September 2004, 01:50   #1

Town: Lubec, Maine USA
Boat name: Stormy I
Make: Airsolid
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard 115 hp
The Thrill VS. Staying Out of Harm's Way

I am 3 months into my first RIB (20 footer to us Yanks) and still learning. I am not sure of sea conditions in the UK, but I am on the Bay of Fundy in the Atlantic Ocean. I have rarely seen the sea without 1-2 meter rollers or 1-2 meter haystacks. Even the bays seem to always have the wind running against the tides (20 foot tide swing).

I have been reading the previous posts in the archives and have a question regarding balancing wave jumping, WOT, and flipping a RIB. The consensus of the posts in the archive seem to indicate that flipping a RIB in excess of 6 meters would most probably be a result of putting yourself in seas that one should not be in and operating the boat in an unsafe manner. Balance that senario with the thrill of wave jumping and running WOT.

I am experimenting with wave jumping and find the thrill is addictive. I am also getting to the point where I believe the RIB can do most anything I ask of it. After reading the archives, it sounds like I may be setting myself up for disaster.

I am in a very remote area where a "toss in the drink" would probably result in a body retrieval vs. a rescue. I am also without the benefit of other RIB owners around to "watch and learn" and am not sure where to draw the line between "thrill and safety".

Any comments or suggestions to help me avoid the mistakes and errors or others would be appreciated...

Old 27 September 2004, 02:02   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The Bay of Fundy? Believe you have the world record highest tide which is rather annoying as the Bristol Channel along the Welsh coast has bigger tides most of the time!!! To make matters worse the Atlantic funnels straight into the West coast of Wales which makes for some pretty dodgy conditions - winds are often over 130mph with rain to match!

RIBS are very popular in the UK as they cope so well with the rough and varied conditions - I would have thought your sort of location would make them just as useful.
Old 27 September 2004, 02:03   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
By the way don't forget to post some photos!!!
Old 27 September 2004, 02:06   #4

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
yes it is addictive

I am probably not the best to advise on slowing down, but get some training from an experienced ribber. Does The coastguard do training courses out there.

if you do cock it up at speed it would be good if you had the proper equipment on you..

where a dry suit (with a comfort zip).
always use the Kill cord carry a spare on the boat.
reduce the amount of steelwork in front of you
make sure that everything is tied down. you dont want to be hit in the head or chest with the anchor as you are leaving the boat
carry a personal flare
keep your mobile phone in an aquapac
Lifejacket (probably best having an Auto)
Consider wearing a Helmet
Fit footstarps

Always test your kill cord whilst under way at least once a journey. They can fail.

practice getting yourself back in the boat whilst in the company of a friend.

it's quite safe to climb up the back of an outboard that is switched off. you can also straddle the outbaord and use the tilt switch to pull yourself up out of the water
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 02:12   #5

Thanks for the geography lesson, I was not trying to get in a "pis_ing" contest but rather looking for some thoughful insights from experienced RIB owners. Care to offer any thoughts on personal experience? Regards...
Old 27 September 2004, 02:18   #6

Oh yeah make sure you have some way of keeping your self warm when you get back in the boat. you can best avoid flipping by jumping off following seas and not head seas
Old 27 September 2004, 02:26   #7

Rogue Wave

Thanks for the tips. I have tried to prepare for the unexpected but the temptation to throttle up is ever present. You seem to appreciate the delicate balance; I would prefer to learn the easy and dry way from the experience of others. Regards//
Old 27 September 2004, 02:59   #8

sadly I've tipped over the delicate balance a couple of times
Old 27 September 2004, 06:04   #9

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
The only thing I would add to Wave's comprehensive and sensible advice is that in a remote location you might want to consider carrying a personal EPIRB like one of these: http://www.mcmurdo.co.uk/?Menu=17&Pa...ts.asp&ID=1026
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2004, 06:47   #10

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Hi Stormy
yes it is addictive apart from all the other advise is make sure someone knows when you will be back , then if it does go all pear shaped then at least they can start a search for you, sounds like fun where you are , no doubt you have come close a couple of times to scaring the crap out of your self , but that is your learning curve where do you launch from beach or slipway is it sheltered and any pictures of the wave sets , and their frequency would be good, do you have any rips (tides) along their as they can be fun take care
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 28 September 2004, 03:47   #11

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
this is an interesting thread, I find myself in similar, but less remote , circumstances - when I see a large swell coming in... I just want to jump the waves.

I have, once or twice, had heart in mouth moments as the back of the boat seems to drop like a stone once over the crest then as soon as it hits the water, the front too crashes... once ploughing straight into the face of the following wave...

Did I have insufficient speed/ too much speed? In a sea where the wavelength/frequency (ie distance between Crests (is there another term?) is approximately 10 metres and the height of the swell (not breakers) is about 3 metres peak to trough, what would the recommended course of action be in a following/approaching? sea?
Old 28 September 2004, 06:47   #12

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Brave in our length boat Edward!!!

Rogue Wave's advice is very good...book a session with an Instructor and your ability to deal with waves (throttling) should improve enormously. Much better than making a bad mistake and losing Zebedee's cousin forever

PS Don't tell us about the weather ....don't want to know !!!

missus
Old 28 September 2004, 07:14   #13

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
try taking the waves at an angle to reduce the slope so you will follow a zig zag route abit like a yacht tacking if airborne keep the power on, if in a following sea try and sit on the back of a wave too much power and you will stuff Paul Glatzel article on here somewhere is very good its a feel thing and use of throttle is the most important trick most dangerous is the following sea as can broach and capsize avoid breaking waves near a lee shore.
have fun most i have is in a rescue sib when teaching surf rescue but killer on me bones getting too old for this lark.contact your local surf rescue lifeguards they are the best in the world ,for advice and maybe could arrange some tuition
regards Tim
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 28 September 2004, 07:56   #14

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim griffin
Paul Glatzel article on here somewhere is very good www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
I was looking for this the other day JK has put a link in to my question under the "ABOUT RIB" net section see my thread on articles. Was looking at it yesterday but there is no substitute for experance and training.
Old 28 September 2004, 11:11   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH
I have, once or twice, had heart in mouth moments as the back of the boat seems to drop like a stone once over the crest then as soon as it hits the water, the front too crashes... once ploughing straight into the face of the following wave...
Sounds as though you are tripping up. Get the power on as you land. Smoothly and carefully does it.
Old 29 September 2004, 11:15   #16

Town: Hernebay
Boat name: Tsunami
Make: Hysucat
Engine: 2 x 70hp
Having spent many hours 'surfing' on and into waves up to 6 metres I always take the following action.
Aproaching sea - Weight forward on the boat ( or trim down ) accelarate into the wave and tap right off as you reach the wave to prevent flying right over and into the trough. If wave breakes trottle full, and punch through the wave - DO NOT TRY AND GO OVER.

Following Sea - weigh to back of boat or trip up and make sure that you are not broached
Old 29 September 2004, 11:47   #17

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Athol

I had a look at your Hyscat at Surf and Turf 2 weeks ago when it was in for service, have to say its a fine looking craft and must go ok with those 2 70hp yams on the back, what interested me most was the way the engines were splayed out to sit over the hulls, suspect this must be the only way to fit on a cat.

I also live in Tanketon, let me know when your going out next time and maybe we'll get to meet up

Richard
Old 29 September 2004, 12:35   #18

Town: Hernebay
Boat name: Tsunami
Make: Hysucat
Engine: 2 x 70hp
Hi Richard

Actualy the positioning of the motors is quite controversial and not at all typical of cats ) Idealy one would want the motors mounted higher as well but that would require the use of cleaver props ( out of my budget range).

I hope to get out this weekend lets hope the weather plays ball
Old 30 September 2004, 00:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
Brave in our length boat Edward!!!

Rogue Wave's advice is very good...book a session with an Instructor and your ability to deal with waves (throttling) should improve enormously. Much better than making a bad mistake and losing Zebedee's cousin forever

PS Don't tell us about the weather ....don't want to know !!!

missus

well Kathleen - I will tell you - 'tis raining here at present, bucketing down and has been for a few days now...

as for bravery - I have heard (from my girlfriend on many occasions) it is closely related to stupidity...

i am off on a two day trip on my Gemini (The Bounty) this w/e so will send back some pictures if all goes well..
Old 30 September 2004, 00:50   #20

Thanks to all for the advice - Athol, Jwalker and Tim, and of course, Missus...

I shall try those techniques out this w/e - but I think you may be right and tuition may be the best next step.

I am just 200 metres from the Royal Coastal Volunteers who have a big 8m rib so may see if i can go out with them in a rough sea on a training exercise and see what they can show me...