Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
The search is over - new toy

After a great five years of use it was time to start looking for a possible replacement for my 5.5m X-Pro Defender 55 (now called a Patrol). Nutkin Too is a great boat that does everything asked of her, but we’ve simply outgrown the onboard space, so there was no hurry and time could be taken to hunt out a serious contender for the next boat.

She has a pair of twin jockeys, but at only 700mm each are a bit on the tight side now the kids, and the helm, have grown! When there are only two people on board there is room but increase this number and it gets a bit snug. There is standing space for one behind the jockeys, but long periods stood get a bit tiring for the crews. The front of console seat is large and very comfy but with the moulded sides only good for one person. I’ve fitted a front handle to this seat, horse rein style, anchored to the lifting eyes, this ensures that whoever is using the seat has a safe and enjoyable ride, being able to use their thighs rather than their back and bum when rough.

The oversize tubes make for a really dry ride and do give a seated option both behind the helm and up front, however when using the boat for safety events there is a real challenge to get people into the boat from the water, yes there is a ladder at the back, but turning an engine off in the middle of the Thames or the Solent is a scary thought. Personally things have moved on from perching on tubes and a proper bum space for those on board were key in any new craft.

The size, hull performance and engine (Suzuki 90) have all been superb for my use both on family runs around the South Coast, safety boating at events and playing in the rough stuff off Start Point, Hurst Castle and the North Coast of Devon/ Cornwall.

Nutkin Too has completed some lovely 80 mile trips, spent a fair amount of time flying over big crested waves and long days have been spend on board looking after others – and never have I thought I want to be on a different craft.

I know some hate the Chinese produced ribs with a passion, this one is made by Delta Bay Boats, based in the Guangdong Province and imported via France, but this design is superb. She’ll cruise at 25 knts, top out at just over 30, all with 4 on board and hold the water well on turns and feels fully balanced when taking off and landing. So much so the logically step was to look at the 6m offering.

As Sea Swift Boats is no longer trading I looked to the current importer, Ocean First Marine in Cornwall. Email response via the website didn’t happen and messages via facebook didn’t get answered, phone calls to chase finally got a response but no 6m was available for demo / looking at. A new one could be imported but after a discussion on costs it was clear that the X-Pro was no longer at the cheaper end of the market and boats such as Brig, Humber and XS would be the same cost! This wasn’t helped by the main dealer not being interested in part exchanges – I get this for older, other makes of rib but find it an interesting approach to supporting/ believing / building your brand.

After seeing a Brig when out on a group rib run to Salcombe (7 bridges weekend) I though these really warranted a look. I don’t like the tubes with the step in the back so looked at the Navigator 610 (6.1m). This has four jockey seats and a bench, and when joined up with the Susuki 115hp engine looked a capable unit. Whilst looking at this model I also looked at the falcon 570 (5.7m) which could be configured with either a rear bench with twin jockeys or 4 jockeys with no bench. The team at Wolf Rock were great to talk to, answered all my questions and tried to put a package together that hit my budget and supplied what I wanted. The Country was in lockdown during this time so visits to see were curtailed and unfortunately we couldn’t find the required deal, but conversations were had on a part exchange deal should one arrive with the required spec and their regular newsletter shows their current direction and stock.

A Rib-Ex came next on the hunt, she looked great, hit the budget but was literally the other side of the Country and with lockdown in full play there was no way to get to see until released.

With a few feelers out across the industry I was told that the Highfield Patrol 660 (6.6m) that had been used in the UK by the Inios Rebels Race team could be available. Looking at her in the promotional videos she looked a great option. The off set console coupled with the extra 1.1m length over Nutkin Too seemed to give lots of extra deck room and although still only two jockey seats the rear bench, with room to stand in front, with seat back handles, and the front box seating looked to give the extra seating needed. There also seemed enough room to add additional jockey seats if required. Figures were discussed, along with a part exchange and fingers were crossed that she’d be as good on a sea trail as the videos showed.

Due to the second lockdown now being in full swing there was a delay to the sea trial until the lockdown was eased, this allowed for engines to be serviced, hours to be confirmed and the boat to be fully prepped from storage. Unfortunately (or fortunately) this prep time found issues that meant that the rib wouldn’t be coming my way. An unhappy end to what I was hoping would be the replacement boat.

However the team at Highfield weren’t done yet. Their boats were heavily involved in the start of the Vendee Globe race and the America’s Cup, two high profile events in the world of sailing. However they were aware that their footprint in the world of sport ribs wasn’t the biggest and very few Highfields would be seen on events such as the Annual Pasty Run, Ice Cream and Chips or supporting Offshore racing events such as the Iconic Cowes-Torquay-Cowes or the OCRDA circuit racing, something they were looking to change.

Further discussions were undertaken and a 6m Highfield Patrol, coupled with a Honda 135 seemed to fit the requirements. A capable, offshore rated rib that was small enough to be trailed around the lanes of Cornwall but big enough to have seating for 4, plenty of room for picking up water soaked passengers and enough storage for family holidays and picnics.
The aluminium hulled Patrol comes equipped with;
Valmex PVC tube fabric
Hydraulic steering
Large console and twin jockeys
High tensile chromated & powder coated aluminum hull
Integrated rear seat with cushion
Flush mount non-return valves
Self-draining deck
Integrated under-deck fuel tank of 140L
Bow step with mooring cleat and roller
Bow locker with seat cushion
Lifting points and towing eyes
Heavy duty rubbing strake & keel guard

Added to this she’ll come with an electronic package of VHF, plotter and navigation lights. All in all a very capable looking rib that will be at home no matter what I do or where I take her.

The good news is that she’s currently under construction, there is a bit of a wait for new builds, as there would be with any manufacturer, so fingers crossed the 9th Annual Pasty Run will have a new vessel (Not Another Nutkin) leading the pack out in 2021

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2021, 13:45   #2

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Give the tubes a good look over, I was in a boat yard last summer and a new highfield was being fitted out - part of the work included re-gluing the tube seams and patches that were already coming away - the boat hadn't ever been in the water
Old 04 January 2021, 14:17   #3

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Thanks Andy that is a great resumae on your search for your next rib ..and a good read ,
personally as a 2014 owner of a new 5m highfield ,sold 2017 ,i think you have definitely made a fantastic choice .,i am looking forward to maybe going back to a similar choice later this year
Dont forget to go for the honda engine cable and a garmin mini network kit ,i think thats all you need for all your engine data
Old 04 January 2021, 15:48   #4

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Great post Andy, really good description of your "Jaws" decision and the quest for the new vessel....I look foward to seeing her on the water.

How about "Nuts To You" as her name
Old 04 January 2021, 16:14   #5

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post

How about "Nuts To You" as her name
I think the Nutkin element will remain and we shorten the full call sign when using the vhf.

I prefer Nutkin The Third - but losing the discussion at present.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 January 2021, 16:34   #6

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
I prefer Nutkin The Third - but losing the discussion at present.
It's a bit of a mouthful on the radio I'd agree!

Why not Nutkin III?

We all know it will end up being whatever Mrs Treerat decides! As long as she doesn't go for Twinkleberry

I did think about keeping a theme on boat names, but decided not - it was too difficult.

What colour is hull / tubes going to be?
Old 04 January 2021, 18:25   #7
RIBnet supporter

Town: Brixham
Boat name: Jazz
Make: XS
Engine: Suzuki
Sounds good Andy.

Look forward to seeing it when things are a little more normal.
Old 05 January 2021, 07:03   #8

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Badlands
Make: Brig Eagle 8
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki 350
MMSI: 232030310
Sounds great. Enjoy your new RIB. I run mine along N.Cornwall coast, so will keep a friendly eye out for you