Old 25 November 2020, 17:30   #41

Town: Dunblane
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzi 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallribber View Post
Many people like to Dis Land Rovers and I agree they have their issues. I still think however they are one of the best tow vehicles out there..... Looking for a nice Disco 4 at the moment. there are several about but might wait till next spring
I agree, there is unlikey to be a better tow vehicle or off roader , they make easy work of both jobs. My two D 4 s i had were both very reliable unlike the 3 so i was lucky , but my experience seems to be rare sadly . Only reason for not going for another was ££££. Land Rover have priced me out the market , got greedy , just crazy prices.

There plenty better value , more reliable , well built, more economical options that are well able to haul the average rib with ease , in my case Skoda and Volvo offer more comfort and better build quality with a smaller price tag . No brainer. New Defender looks cool. But again over priced.
Old 25 November 2020, 20:24   #42

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
I agree, there is unlikey to be a better tow vehicle or off roader , they make easy work of both jobs. My two D 4 s i had were both very reliable unlike the 3 so i was lucky , but my experience seems to be rare sadly . Only reason for not going for another was ££££. Land Rover have priced me out the market , got greedy , just crazy prices.

There plenty better value , more reliable , well built, more economical options that are well able to haul the average rib with ease , in my case Skoda and Volvo offer more comfort and better build quality with a smaller price tag . No brainer. New Defender looks cool. But again over priced.
I agree the New Land Rovers are way over Priced and I think Land Rover have kind of lost their way..... I still think Second Hand you can pick up good deals.... I also think the Disco 2 td5 is a very good vehicle for our hobby
Old 26 November 2020, 14:32   #43

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase

I do like how the poverty spec one looks though.
Old 26 November 2020, 15:01   #44

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I still think they missed a trick with the New Defender (as they seem to call it on their website) in terms of styling cues. Especially from the front end, if you just saw one drive past, unless you happen to know it's New Defender, you wouldn't really relate it to the original Defender. Fine, it's still got the alpine roof lights, steel wheels in poverty spec, etc. so there are some design cues there, but overall it hasn't really grown on me yet. Even more so given various tales of people having issues, and the price point.

I'm not a Merc fan at all, but with the G-Wagen refresh they seem to have done a much better job of changing and modernising all the underpinnings, drive train, interior, etc., but keeping nearly all of it's original character. Sadly the price point is also very high!

I stopped to take some photos of my Series 1 107" next to a neighbour's New Defender last weekend, as I thought my bare Birmabright panels echoed his silver paintwork quite nicely, but I'm still waiting to be convinced by this new model...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	135675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2955.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	135676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2960.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	135677  
Old 26 November 2020, 16:09   #45

Town: Kingussie
Boat name: Puffin
Make: NorthCraft / XS
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 60
MMSI: 232019541
In terms of styling cues - the lovely plastic chequer plate on the wings says everything you need to know.

I am willing to bet the 107 is still running when that other thing is long consigned to scrap heap.
Old 26 November 2020, 16:47   #46

Exactly, not the sort of "styling" I particularly want...

And yes, the 107" has managed 65 years so far, and I hope it's got at least that left in it without any major problems.

When you watch some of the YouTube channels with the New Defender, it sounds like some have already been consigned to the scrap heap, as Land Rover just can't work out what's wrong with them, and just replace them! A great shame for what should be such an iconic model.
Old 26 November 2020, 17:25   #47

Quote:
I agree the New Land Rovers are way over Priced and I think Land Rover have kind of lost their way..... I still think Second Hand you can pick up good deals.... I also think the Disco 2 td5 is a very good vehicle for our hobby
Fully agree. Lost thier way and saw the future in high end big engines town limos. Clearly a market for those , but left the rest of us who liked the brand despite reliability issues and wanted to buy British but loyalty does not extend to paying massively more for a Land Rover product that has sustained poor reliability reputation over something better priced , more reliable suv that can do 80/90% of what a disco can do on and off road .

Is Land Rover better than Volvo or Shogun or Toyota or Skoda ? The old saying. Better is the enemy of good enough applies. I question whether land rover is better or good enough or cheap enough .

A Volvo XC 60 or Skoda Kodiaq should deliver all the average rib owner needs with great build quality and interior fit wnd a better more fuel efficient family car.

And if you go volvo. Base model leather seats standard , leather from Scotland in all volvos globally, same supplier that land rover and Aston Martin leather seats.
Old 26 November 2020, 17:28   #48

Quote:
I agree again. Last of the D2 were great looking and if you can get one thats got life in it. Why not.
Old 26 November 2020, 17:53   #49

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Being in the Motor trade for many years I've had and used Most Land Rover and Range Rover variants .....and others ...both for normal motoring and Towing,and in fairness they do a decent Job most of the time...
I'm currently on my Fourth Toyota Landcruiser (over the years) and overall they (IMO) are by far the best option for heavy Towing....all round reliability ....ease of servicing ..running costs...and overall Rugged Build...and I do a lot more Towing than most!..both distance Boating and for work.

Another great attribute, for me anyway! ....is the comparative LACK of electrical sensors and and superfluous Luxury gizmos!....and bits of plastic to fall off!
Many LC's have done WELL in excess of 200K and still command fair prices!.....not so much with Disco's and Rangies eh???
Like an Ausie friend told me...."If you want to go into the Bush...Take a Land Rover!
But... if you want to come out again!....Take a Land Cruiser!"

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Old 26 November 2020, 19:25   #50

Great Scottish company fitting luxury car brands and beyond.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/about/h...bridge-of-weir
Old 26 November 2020, 20:28   #51

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
We did 3rd of chassis on the discovery 2 last year. It’s been pulling boats 18 years. I remember the rear discs crumbling between my fingers. It’s an old tractor now but a joy to have in the family.

Times have moved on and I need a new car but want to Find something that can pull both the boat and caravan plus be able to commute 250-500 miles a week.

The missus likes discovery sports but I have my doubt it will deal with the boat slip, or pull stuck trailer brakes out the back garden without ripping the grass up, the d2 does both very very well without a hint of wheel spin and was worth the chassis fix. I could go big guns like a full fat or get her the sport and myself a old beemer plus keep the D2 but it seems like a lot of cars.

I always planned to POR15 the d2 chassis after its fix but life got in the way
Old 27 November 2020, 05:46   #52

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
another point for a mid 2000 disco/ sport is lack of dpf .i do very few miles but need a vehicle that can be used for work as well as towing .most if not all of the competition of the same age and type are dpf equipped
Old 27 November 2020, 06:14   #53

Town: Chelmsford
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
another point for a mid 2000 disco/ sport is lack of dpf .i do very few miles but need a vehicle that can be used for work as well as towing .most if not all of the competition of the same age and type are dpf equipped
dpf ?
Old 27 November 2020, 06:54   #54

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Diesel particulate filter
Old 27 November 2020, 07:47   #55

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtflash View Post
We did 3rd of chassis on the discovery 2 last year. It’s been pulling boats 18 years. I remember the rear discs crumbling between my fingers. It’s an old tractor now but a joy to have in the family.

Times have moved on and I need a new car but want to Find something that can pull both the boat and caravan plus be able to commute 250-500 miles a week.

The missus likes discovery sports but I have my doubt it will deal with the boat slip, or pull stuck trailer brakes out the back garden without ripping the grass up, the d2 does both very very well without a hint of wheel spin and was worth the chassis fix. I could go big guns like a full fat or get her the sport and myself a old beemer plus keep the D2 but it seems like a lot of cars.

I always planned to POR15 the d2 chassis after its fix but life got in the way
Discovery sports are just the latest reincarnation of the Freelander, not a true 4x4 the likes of a Range Rover / Defender, unfortunately they also don't to too well on the reliability surveys Chap I work with, his Dad brought a new DS, didn't last long before it was sold - Think the DPF system would keep throwing up faults and LR couldn't get to the bottom of the issue
Old 27 November 2020, 08:23   #56

I assume the effort within landrover is not how to fix or improve diesel or petrol engines but to catch up with the pack on electric. They are poorly positioned with nothing in the range thats electric or hybrid i assume ? Other makes seem to be years ahead on the electric green road. The date of no new carbon fueled cars is not far away.
Old 27 November 2020, 08:34   #57

Quote:
They are poorly positioned with nothing in the range thats electric or hybrid i assume ?
Not entirely, you can have hybrid PHEV versions of the full fat Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery, Evoque and Velar I believe, and a hybrid New Defender is supposedly coming, but not sure it's out yet.

But certainly the full fat RR and RR Sport only seem to manage a max 20 or so miles in the real world on electric, so a fairly limited use case if you want the real benefit, almost assuming you can charge it up at either end of your journey so you always have some electricity.
Old 27 November 2020, 11:09   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
Not entirely, you can have hybrid PHEV versions of the full fat Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, Discovery, Evoque and Velar I believe, and a hybrid New Defender is supposedly coming, but not sure it's out yet.

But certainly the full fat RR and RR Sport only seem to manage a max 20 or so miles in the real world on electric, so a fairly limited use case if you want the real benefit, almost assuming you can charge it up at either end of your journey so you always have some electricity.
Just 20 mile range on battery in the full fat RR ! Mind you thats enough to drop off Rupert and Lucinda at school and swing by Waitrose and home for fat free yogurt, so well within the Range Rovers usual day to day requiements
Old 27 November 2020, 11:46   #59

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Just 20 mile range on battery in the full fat RR ! Mind you thats enough to drop off Rupert and Lucinda at school and swing by Waitrose and home for fat free yogurt, so well within the Range Rovers usual day to day requiements

Oooh! You’re such a cynic [emoji6]
Don’t forget the trip to the Pilates class....
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Old 27 November 2020, 12:08   #60

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Oooh! You’re such a cynic [emoji6]
Don’t forget the trip to the Pilates class....
That's so last year, "Hot Yoga" is the in thing now